7 posters

Go down

C’s not afraid to think big Empty C’s not afraid to think big

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/unknown/2018/11/c_s_not_afraid_to_think_big

C’s not afraid to think big

Opt to spend on Yabusele’s potential

Steve Bulpett Friday, November 02, 2018

Picking up Guerschon Yabusele’s option for 2019-20 says something about the Celtics’ belief in his potential. But it may speak even louder about the club’s ownership practices.

There was no doubt the Celts would pick up the fourth- and third-year options for Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, respectively. Those two will be bargains as long as they remain on their rookie-scale contracts (and maybe even after that, depending on the negotiations). But there would have been little surprise if the Celtics, facing onerous luxury tax implications in the coming years, had held the line and decided against the $3,117,240 for Yabusele next year -- a figure that will be more than double that when the tax is figured in.

The French selection from the 2016 draft essentially was stashed overseas for a season and has yet to crack the regular rotation in a year-plus with the Celts. And if the team’s health holds up, it’s hard to see him getting much of a consistent run the rest of this season.

Still, the basketball people figure it’s definitely worth seeing how a 22-year-old bullish talent develops. That necessitated a discussion with the people who sign the checks, and, ultimately, they looked at the sideline, not the bottom line.

“They genuinely care about just winning,” said president of basketball operations Danny Ainge of an ownership group headed by managing partners Wyc Grousbeck, Irv Grousbeck, Steve Pagliuca and Robert Epstein. “And if you’re ever in doubt of that -- like, if anybody’s ever in doubt -- this is proof, because if it was about money, it would be an easy one to make a decision the other way.”

There was a lot that went into the call on Yabusele. If it was just about basketball, sure, the Celtics and everyone else would try to hoard all the good players. But there is a salary cap and free agency and the possibility a player could want to go elsewhere for more of an opportunity to play.

“You’re trying to figure out budgets for next year, and you’re punching in numbers and best-case scenarios and you’re projecting,” Ainge told the Herald. “But it’s all projections. Nothing is absolutely certain.”

The Celts also had to consider that next summer Marcus Morris will be an unrestricted free agent, Aron Baynes can opt out, Terry Rozier, Daniel Theis and Brad Wanamaker can be restricted free agents, Kyrie Irving is planning to opt out (and, he says, sign a more lucrative deal here), and Al Horford can sever his deal, too.

“There is some uncertainty in the offseason, as there always is,” Ainge said. “But the bottom line is he’s a 22-year-old unique player that we really like, and, again, a player that we like as much who he is as what he is at this point in his career.

“Having Guerschon gives us continuity. He knows our system. He’s loved by everybody. It’s just not easy to find that type of player.”

And with the luxury tax in play -- and the repeater tax looming on the horizon -- signing off on several million dollars for “potential” is not a move every team would make. Or be allowed to make.

“It’s enjoyable in my job to work with owners like we have,” Ainge said. “I talked a great deal with Steve and Wyc. They wanted to hear all the pluses, minuses, opportunities, probabilities and all that. They had the same questions about role and how it all fits in, because it’s a big investment. And for them to give the basketball guys that support financially is a big commitment. They care about winning. They’re not trying line their pocketbooks.”

What Ainge said next is likely some of what Grousbeck and Pagliuca heard in the meeting where this decision was made.

“Guerschon is a player that is loved by his teammates,” he said. “He’s a player that has worked really hard on getting his body in shape, staying in shape and learning our system. His first year was rough with surgery on both of his feet, and last year he just didn’t get opportunities. We had great depth at the big position, where Theis and Baynes and Horford were playing, and Semi (Ojeleye) had a head start on him because of (Yabusele’s) health.

“I think he’s managed all that well, and he’s really earned the respect of all of us in the basketball office in what he can become. And, by the way, he’s 22 years old, and one year was sort of taken away from him in his development.

“We just think it’s rare to have a guy that’s 280 pounds and can move as well as he does, and with the skill level he has. Our fans haven’t had the chance to see a lot of him, and I think that’s probably going to change over the next couple of years. You’ll see a lot more of Guerschon. This year we have a lot of guys. Brad (Stevens) has a lot of decisions to make, so he may decide he needs one thing that Robert Williams can do better or maybe needing Semi to switch the pick and roll, and he does that better.

“But I think Guerschon is as complete a player as we have in the front court, as far as dribbling and shooting and passing and defending multiple positions. And he’s learning from one of the best players in Al Horford. We really are excited about Guerschon’s future. His work ethic and his development are coming along a lot better in our eyes than what the world sees out there, just because of opportunity.”

(We’re checking the voice recorder to see if it can be determined that Ainge uttered those last four paragraphs in one breath -- but it certainly seemed that way. The man was on a roll.)

“Listen,” Ainge said, “it’s not my money. I’m very respectful of what the owners have to do. It’s genuinely very impressive that they want to do this. They listen to what Brad and I say, and they believe in Guerschon, too. They’re hoping he turns out to be the player we all think he can be.”

And they’ve put their money where their hope is.

bob
MY NOTE:  Danny and Brad get most of the headlines but let's not forget what it was like having ownership like John Y. Brown and Paul Gaston.  Not even Red could do anything with them. From the top down through the coaching staff w are truly blessed with high quality.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

C’s not afraid to think big Empty Re: C’s not afraid to think big

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:05 am

WideClyde I know it's all about opinion but this is what I've been trying to say since the first video posted by International. We both have strong opinions on Guerschon but for the TEAM's sake, let's hope Danny is right.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:50 am

Danny and Brad do a great job building up the value of below average players. Some team would really like to have him

Don't believe the hype until you actually see it for yourself.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:28 pm

They must see something in him beyond his stats, if they feel he can contribute then it’s all good going forward....

Hooter you were right!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Maybe they know but we sure don't.  And when a player gets this much props they usually get minutes

Last edited by dboss on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Nothing is certain even for Kyrie. It is the elephant in the room every year. One can only hope players don't think about it too much and keep bleeding green. We can guess and speculate, but that's all that is.

It is so far, so good. Morris couldn't have turned out better for results and attitude. Rozier and Smart play well together. Semi was great in the last one. He might need one of those Jae Crowder long-term economy deals if he keeps delivering. His shot looked very smooth. The bench looks like it could win an eighth seed if they were starters.

Yabs currently fills a contract slot and is good for the locker room. He is undetermined as a basketball player. No one knows. Games need to be played to eliminate guesswork.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Remember in his first couple of years when most of us thought Avery Bradley sucked?  Doc kept saying that AB performed very well in practice, so that is why he got some playing time.  We just never saw it.

Maybe it is similar with Yabu, except for the getting playing time.  Maybe Brad and Company think that Yabu is more valuable to the Celtics than any vet-min type guy that will be available in the near future.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:32 pm

I would compare Avery Bradley to maybe Ojeleye for rookie years. Yabusele seems more of a complete mystery but perhaps Gyso is correct. In hindsight, RJ Hunter and James Young never had a chance? Yabs might have been given a Phil Pressey charity contract- a we might as well bring him back kind of deal because everyone loves him. Young got at least one of those or had seniority over RJ. I know that Hunter went nuts in one preseason game but they still decided on Young.

I wouldn't mind Boban but he makes $7 million. He's the kind of guy you can't give away a rotation piece for. He's a weird gimmick of a player- he could work but who knows similar to Monroe. If Ainge had two Yabuseles, he could trade for him.

Maybe Yabusele is good like Semi and will eventually emerge. He hasn't really showed much to lean towards him ending up with an NBA career. I root for him but am being realistic. Wake me up when he contributes at all like Ojeleye does and I'll make posts claiming he needs more minutes. Robert Williams deserves some baby minutes. He has more obvious upside.

I guess Ojeleye replaces Morris next year or maybe Yabusele picks up the pace and does that. Maybe somehow Mr. Attitude Marcus Morris and Scary Terry Rozier both stay! It is sad and frustrating that we can't get too attached to specific teams and players. The olden days were much better for that.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:35 pm

I never thought he sucked. He averaged 21 MPG his second year. Yabu cannot get minutes because we have so much depth on the team.

Maybe he will get some game but who do you sit down in favor of him.

I trust Danny but I cannot help but be cynical because he likes one minutes and trades the next.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:13 pm

AB has been terrible offensively this year, hope he gets it together....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:29 am

the salary is only $3M more or less...not much above vet minimum.

I don;t see all the wringing of hands as to keep the option?

I mean DANNY did draft him at #16 when no one else thought he would go that high, so why would Danny cut him lose for short money?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down