Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year.

+2
kdp59
international
6 posters

Go down

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Empty Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year.

Post by international Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:26 pm

I know is related with Kyrie Irving contract but I would like to know the rule.

international

Back to top Go down

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Empty Re: Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year.

Post by kdp59 Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 am

good luck...because it has been repeated here before but I can find nothing about it.

I think its a misunderstanding of the max rules, that's been repeated myself
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Empty Re: Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year.

Post by gyso Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:44 am

The "Derrick Rose" Rule criteria was changed in the 2017 CBA.  Articles written prior to 2017 say that Anthony Davis missed out on qualifying because he was injured and didn't get voted to an All-NBA team in 2016.

Old pre-2017 criteria from late 2015:

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2015/12/6/nba-salary-cap-101-the-rose-rule

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Derric10

Other articles from 2016 that say that Anthony Davis missed out:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/5/26/11790158/davis-anthony-pelicans-rose-rule

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-pelicans/post/_/id/862/anthony-davis-on-new-designated-player-exception-missing-out-on-rose-rule-money

Wikipedia says this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Derric12\

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Derric13

So, did Anthony Davis meet the criteria post 2017 NBA CBA?  Wikipedia doesn't seem to think he did.

(to be continued)

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 am

These articles from last summer say that both Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis met the criteria for the "Derrick Rose" rule and were awarded the 5 year/30% contract:

http://www.celticslife.com/2018/06/the-derrick-rose-rule-any-celtics-trade.html

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-news-boston-unable-to-acquire-a-player-like-anthony-davis-qualified-for-rose-rule/

Here, Celticsblog says why KI and AD are restricted by the "Derrick Rose" rule, even if they didn't qualify:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/7/3/17531092/clearing-up-boston-celtics-cap-cba-questions-2018-nba-free-agency-anthony-davis-kyrie-irving

Kevin P. Smith on Celticblog wrote:Actually qualifying doesn’t matter. What matters is that it was the mechanism they were signed under. So the restriction still remains in place.

(to be continued)

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 am

So in conclusion, I'll circle back around and show what the Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ has to say:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Sal_ca11

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Sal_ca10

I guess the important parts are:

The Designated Rookie Rule:

Larry Coon 2017 Sal Cap FAQ wrote:The Designated Rookie rule allows teams to sign players finishing their rookie scale contracts to longer extensions, but does not provide for the higher maximum salary (up to 30% of the cap). In fact, there are no performance criteria the player must meet to qualify for the Designated Rookie rule -- he just needs to be designated by his team to receive a longer extension.

The limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time:

Larry Coon 2017 Sal Cap FAQ wrote:There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie and one designated veteran may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

It seems that both Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis met the "Designated Rookie" rule by accepting a 5 year rookie extension, even though they did not meet the criteria for the 30% salary Max bump.

There you go, International.  I hope this has been cleared up.  We cannot trade for Anthony Davis this season while KI is still on the team.  We can go after him next summer after KI either leaves or signs a new contract.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:38 am

Coda:

It isn't so much the "Derrick Rose" rule that is the limiting factor in trading for Anthony Davis this season. That just allows the 30% salary bump. See the 5/30% list above for the names of those four players.

It is the "Designated Rookie" rule that is the limiting factor. See the 5/25% list above for the names of those seven players.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:24 pm

I sure am happy you are on this Forum GYSO! Glad someone understands this convoluted issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 pm

bobc33 wrote:I sure am happy you are on this Forum GYSO!  Glad someone understands this convoluted issue.

+ so many I'd sprain my finger if I actually had to type them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you for your help.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Great job Gyso.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:48 am

gyso wrote:So in conclusion, I'll circle back around and show what the Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ has to say:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Sal_ca11

Somebody can explain me what is the rule that prohibits the Celtics to make a trade for Anthony Davis this year. Sal_ca10

I guess the important parts are:

The Designated Rookie Rule:

Larry Coon 2017 Sal Cap FAQ wrote:The Designated Rookie rule allows teams to sign players finishing their rookie scale contracts to longer extensions, but does not provide for the higher maximum salary (up to 30% of the cap). In fact, there are no performance criteria the player must meet to qualify for the Designated Rookie rule -- he just needs to be designated by his team to receive a longer extension.

The limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time:

Larry Coon 2017 Sal Cap FAQ wrote:There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie and one designated veteran may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

It seems that both Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis met the "Designated Rookie" rule by accepting a 5 year rookie extension, even though they did not meet the criteria for the 30% salary Max bump.

There you go, International.  I hope this has been cleared up.  We cannot trade for Anthony Davis this season while KI is still on the team.  We can go after him next summer after KI either leaves or signs a new contract.

gyso

TRADE IRVING...........YOU START BY BUILDING FROM THE CENTER OUT! RED AUERBACH

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:53 am

well..there it is!

Page 8 , paragraph 13, last line of sentence.....LOL.

thanks gyso for setting me straight on it.

so the only way to acquire Davis in a TRADE (this year) is to trade Irving for him  or somewhere else first?

oh well, at least we have Hayward at max money.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 am

Finding the reason that we couldn't trade for AD and keep KI wasn't exactly a linear endeavor.  It was actually the first time I tried to dig in and find the answer to the question.  I started out trying to research the Derrick Rose rule, because from all I had read about the situation, that was the deciding factor.

As it turns out, it wasn't.  Time and time again, I discovered articles that said that said that Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving did not get the 30% bump that the Rose rule allowed.  That was confusing, so I dug into it more.  Then I discovered the Celticsblog article, which suggested to me that I needed to go back to the source of all sal cap goodness: Larry Coon FAQ.

I remembered in the past that the Derrick Rose rule was specifically mentioned by name, so I looked for those words early in my search.  I looked top to bottom and couldn't find it.  I am guessing that with the 2017 CBA update, that specific text was removed, perhaps because the rule was tweaked to include the Designated Rookie part.  

So anyway, that is why my posts above did not come to the conclusion in a timely manner.  I posted what I found when I found it, dead ends and all.  I was quite happy that, in the end, the answer did present itself.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down