Bird rights question

2 posters

Go down

Bird rights question Empty Bird rights question

Post by kdp59 Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:25 am

I saw this at hoopshype.

can anyone tell me if this is correct.

From exact financial terms, non-Bird Rights allow teams to pay players up to 120 percent of his previous salary in order to re-sign him. For example, if a player is coming off a one-year deal that paid him $10 million, the team he was on can go over the cap to re-sign him to a contract where the first year is worth up to $12 million.

Furthermore, Early Bird Rights are similar, but they allow teams to pay players either 175 percent of his previous salary or 104.5 percent of the average league salary, whichever is higher. (The latter is in place to protect players coming off minimum deals.) Hence, in the former scenario, a player coming off a two-year deal where each year was worth $10 million can be re-signed to a contract where the first year is worth up to $17.5 million, i.e. 175 percent of the previous salary, if the team wants to go over the cap when re-signing said player.

And finally, for Full Bird Rights, the only limit in place is the max salary the player can receive, be it 25 percent of the cap, 30 percent of the cap or 35 percent of the cap. For a recent example, just observe how star Denver Nuggets big man Nikola Jokic went from earning the minimum in 2017-18 ($1.5 million) to earning the max in 2018-19 ($25.5 million).

early bird rights I think would pertain to Theis this coming off-season, correct?

if so he can be resigned for up to 104.5% of the average league salary then, not just 175% of his current salary?

big difference.

with Both Morris and Rozier likely moving on (assuming Irving resigns), keeping Theis may be very important for depth.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Bird rights question Empty Re: Bird rights question

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:33 am

kdp59 wrote:
I saw this at hoopshype.

can anyone tell me if this is correct.

From exact financial terms, non-Bird Rights allow teams to pay players up to 120 percent of his previous salary in order to re-sign him. For example, if a player is coming off a one-year deal that paid him $10 million, the team he was on can go over the cap to re-sign him to a contract where the first year is worth up to $12 million.

Furthermore, Early Bird Rights are similar, but they allow teams to pay players either 175 percent of his previous salary or 104.5 percent of the average league salary, whichever is higher. (The latter is in place to protect players coming off minimum deals.) Hence, in the former scenario, a player coming off a two-year deal where each year was worth $10 million can be re-signed to a contract where the first year is worth up to $17.5 million, i.e. 175 percent of the previous salary, if the team wants to go over the cap when re-signing said player.

And finally, for Full Bird Rights, the only limit in place is the max salary the player can receive, be it 25 percent of the cap, 30 percent of the cap or 35 percent of the cap. For a recent example, just observe how star Denver Nuggets big man Nikola Jokic went from earning the minimum in 2017-18 ($1.5 million) to earning the max in 2018-19 ($25.5 million).

early bird rights I think would pertain to Theis this coming off-season, correct?

if so he can be resigned for up to  104.5% of the average league salary then, not just 175% of his current salary?

big difference.

with Both Morris and Rozier likely moving on (assuming Irving resigns), keeping Theis may be very important for depth.

kdp,

I'm going to let GYSO answer the cap question, although I do believe you have it right. I don't understand what the departure of Morris, a 4, and Rozier, a 1 or 2, has to do with depth at 5. We will have Horford, Baynes and Williams. If we need more than that then it can be Theis or someone else but I don't see where the departure of those other players impacts this. They each play very different roles on this team.

In 2018, the average NBA salary was $7.44M. Theis' 2018 contract is for $1.38M and has a qualifying offer for $$1.8M in 2019.

175% of $1.38M is $2.4M. 1.04% of $7.44M is $7.73M. So Danny can keep him for as cheaply as $1.8M, if nobody tries to bid him away from us, or as much as $7.73M (the 104% might be based upon 2019 average salary, which we do not have at this time).

If someone wants him for, say, $5M, and that's more than Danny wants to pay him, Danny can sign-and-trade him. Another possibility is that someone is willing to pay him more than the $7.73M Danny can offer him and Danny talks to the GM and says "how about I sign Theis to a mutually agreed upon number <$7.73M and then I trade him to you, perhaps with another player, for a player(s) from you?". That provides salary relief for the other GM and Danny isn't giving up Theis for nothing, which we know he hates doing. By signing Theis to more money than Danny really wants to pay him isn't necessarily bad since that might make him easier to package in a trade because his higher salary makes the numbers work.

In Danny I trust. He's earned it, times 10.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/daniel-theis-23828/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:44 am

I see Theis as a C/PF hybrid

thus losing Morris could mean more minutes for Theis possibly. That was kinda what I meant anyway.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down