Ktronic1
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Bulpett's Take on the Orlando Loss Empty Bulpett's Take on the Orlando Loss

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:09 pm

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/01/12/celtics-lose-again-in-florida-fall-to-magic/

Celtics lose again in Florida, fall to Magic

Bulpett's Take on the Orlando Loss AP19013155603730
Orlando Magic's Nikola Vucevic (9) makes a move to the basket against Boston Celtics' Al Horford (42) during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)

By STEVE BULPETT | stephen.bulpett@bostonherald.com | Boston Herald
PUBLISHED: January 12, 2019 at 9:49 pm | UPDATED: January 13, 2019 at 7:07 am

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Celtics left for their road trip on a four-game winning streak, and after losing badly in Miami, they arrived here in the shadow of Disney World intent on simply proving they ain’t no Mickey Mouse club.

Now, after falling, 105-103, to a Magic outfit that had lost its last four, they are left to ponder all manner of possibilities.

“I think we play hard at times,” said Al Horford, who was a plus-21. “I don’t think that we’re playing hard enough all the time as a unit. And it’s hard to win in this league, and obviously we’ve won our fair share of games, but it just shows you how consistent you have to be.

“There were a couple of points in the game that I felt like we could have really put them away and just bad plays led to their scores.”

The Celts made a furious comeback, but ultimately fell short. Jayson Tatum’s 20-footer to tie from the right baseline caught only iron, leaving Kyrie Irving apparently unhappy that Gordon Hayward had inbounded to the second-year forward instead of going with a play that involved Irving and Horford.

“Next play, you know?” Irving said after posting 24 points. “Just, J.T. got a good look. Didn’t go in.”

But the game was lost before then, mainly when the C’s didn’t do enough to prevent Terrence Ross from shooting himself to 25 points, 17 of them in a 10-plus-minute stretch from the late third quarter on.

“Terrence Ross changed the whole game,” said Brad Stevens. “We didn’t get into his air space good enough, and when we did, we fouled.”

The Celts surrendered 33 points to the Magic in the last quarter and saw their 12-point third quarter lead and a five-point edge entering the last period evaporate into a nine-point deficit with 1:48 left.

Irving then scored eight points in a 10-2 run, the last two from the free throw line with 10.2 seconds left. The Magic had fouled on purpose to keep the Celts from attempting a tying 3-pointer.

The Green failed to corral a loose ball on the ensuing Magic possession, and they finally fouled Nikola Vucevic with 3.2 left. The big man made the first and missed the second. Robert Williams got the rebound, and the Celts called a timeout with 2.9 on the clock.

Hayward inbounded to Tatum, who didn’t see a clear path to the hoop before his fallaway caught only iron.

The Celts will curse many aspects of this one, but perhaps nothing was more glaring than missing nine of their 28 free throws.

“I told you all along, we’ve had good moments of basketball,” said Stevens. “We’ve had good weeks of basketball, we’ve had good days of basketball, but we’ve also had some really bad ones. Tonight I don’t think was a really bad one. It’s a really disappointing loss because we had a chance to win and we were doing a great job defensively through the first two and a half quarters. But it’s disappointing when you let go defensively like that and the other team goes on a scoring binge. We’ve got a lot of room to get better, and we’re not there yet.”

The Celtics bench was victimized in this one.

Asked what’s missing from the club, Irving said, “Experience. It’s the best thing I can say is experience. We’re lacking it, and because of that we have a lot of learning to do.

“These are things I don’t think some of my teammates have faced of just every single day. It’s not easy to be great. So the things you’re doing, that you’ve done your entire career of being able to coast by in certain situations and you’ve gotten away with your youth and stuff like that, being on a championship ballclub, you can’t get away with that. You see the fans going crazy. You see it gets loud. I know from the majority of the fact that we’re better than most teams in this league. It’s just going out and proving it every single night and demanding it and actually showing it.

“So until we do that every single night and realize our depth is a positive and all the wishes and could haves and should have done that, once that goes out the window, then we’ll be better,” Irving added. “But until then, we’re going to keep having these ups and downs and these lulls of going against teams on the road and they just know they can take advantage of us down the stretch.”

bob
MY NOTE:   "Asked what’s missing from the club, Irving said, “Experience. It’s the best thing I can say is experience. We’re lacking it, and because of that we have a lot of learning to do."  This goes back to his desire for Danny to sign a 10 year veteran.  We thought the playoff experience last year would be enough.  It wasn't and isn't.  Our BWA (Bench With Attitude) at the beginning of the year was Morris and Smart, everybody else just liked the name but didn't understand the obligation (I'm willing to cut some slack to Theis, who has been generally playing very well recently).  They are now starting and Jaylen is no longer a starter and is struggling and Rozier's brain can no longer wrap around the concept of not being a starter anymore.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Bulpett's Take on the Orlando Loss Empty Re: Bulpett's Take on the Orlando Loss

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Jaylen has played better recently

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 pm

One thing that has happened is that the NBA/TV group of reporters has made Terry Rozier a hero in waiting. They are still living on last year, he even has a spot on their Celtics show on Thursdays. This kid is living in LaLa land, and he has been terrible on offense and defense for all but two or three games.

Remember when Kyrie made the comment that this team needed another veteran on this team? He obviously saw this long ago.

My biggest issue with these last few games is they have aired their dirty laundry for all to see. There was no reason for Irving to call out Hayward on the court last night. He may have been right, but, do it behind closed doors. Same with that garbage between Brown and Morris. This makes this team look like they are in total turmoil. Fodder for the big mouths.

I don't know what the answer is, that is not for me to say. I do know that I came into this season with such high hopes for this talented bunch of guys and I feel very let down, BUT, I won't give in to all the negativity.
Let's get Aron Baynes back on the court, and, it is a big and, see if Danny feels a free agent is the answer or a trade. (I think Bob or Dboss is right, he is not going to do anything with Rozier or Brown now, AD is still on the horizon)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Agree with everything you said Rosie, Morris shouldn’t have shoved Jaylen and Kyrie didn’t need the theatrics last night, just say damn and walk away.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:One thing that has happened is that the NBA/TV group of reporters has made Terry Rozier a hero in waiting. They are still living on last year, he even has a spot on their Celtics show on Thursdays.  This kid is living in LaLa land, and he has been terrible on offense and defense for all but two or three games.  

Remember when Kyrie made the comment that this team needed another veteran on this team? He obviously saw this long ago.  

My biggest issue with these last few games is they have aired their dirty laundry for all to see.  There was no reason for Irving to call out Hayward on the court last night.  He may have been right, but, do it behind closed doors. Same with that garbage between Brown and Morris.  This makes this team look like they are in total turmoil. Fodder for the big mouths.

I don't know what the answer is, that is not for me to say. I do know that I came into this season with such high hopes for this talented bunch of guys and I feel very let down, BUT, I won't give in to all the negativity.
Let's get Aron Baynes back on the court, and, it is a big and, see if Danny feels a free agent is the answer or a trade. (I think Bob or Dboss is right, he is not going to do anything with Rozier or Brown now, AD is still on the horizon)
NBA TV, like others are front runners. That’s what they do. But with all due respect, Terry deserved those accolades based on what he did last year. He hasn’t played as well this year but there are still many teams that still feel hes a solid starter and would like to have him.His value around here may have dropped and rightfully so but the consensus around the league is that hes still a solid player.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm

Team in turmoil? If they are, the tiff with Morris and Brown and the incident last night exposes nothing.
Given the way things are communicated throughout the he league vis social media and inside leaks, even if all parties walked away and took it inside, the rest of the league would still know of the turmoil.
C’s just need to get their act together and start playing ball.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:54 am

Rosie,

You make a great point. I don't ever remember Bird, Parish and McHale having issues and airing them out for all to see. Nor RA, PP, DJ and KG, ever having problems to the point that they had to go "public" with them. Everyone was on the same page and there was no misunderstanding. I use the NASA example from the 60's. NASA postered the entire Houston campus with pictures of the moon...EVERYWHERE. When you came to work, you knew why and where you were going and what you were a part of.

This is all very unCeltic-like behavior. I've always seen other high profile teams in the league do this and it's great for show, but that's about it.

Brad may be Moses from the Bible here as well. Danny made a Celtic bet on a guy coming from the college ranks that got 2 points from toppling one of the greatest college BBall teams and coaches of all time. Brad still hasn't won the big one. Got to the finals twice. But got to watch the Promised Land unfolded in front of him two years in a row.

Brad has done everything that could be asked of him for 5 seasons. Danny has provided him with the very best tools to get there. The BAM expectation for this year's team is getting to the finals since on paper we made it to within 8 minutes without Kyrie and GH. By season/playoff end, Brad has progressed every year for the past 5 seasons beyond a doubt. (Danny may also find the Promised Land is already occupied with GSW, DEN, MIL and/or TOR!)

Brad needs to figure it out very quickly as this season has REALLY blown by and I believe we are behind last year's pace at this point. It's over half way done!! He needs to convince (and show) Danny he knows what he is doing. The oddball losses aren't helping his case. Danny is thinking, "Do I have 2-3 more years for Brad to figure this out with the talent I've given him before winning a title or will everything get straightened out this year and the titles will start rolling in for the next 3-4 years ala GSW? If he can't do it, who can? Do I want another one championship and done or am I building a dynasty here?"

The pressure has to be unreal at this level. We all get the ease of armchair quarterbacking every move and decision for every game and almost every play. We would all make horrible bosses because we micromanage every move, every game. No one likes to be micromanaged! It's great for discussion here on this site, don't get me wrong. Living vicariously as a micromanager is one of the reasons I come to this site. No one else in the real world likes it but here it's ok and sometimes we get patted on the back for it!!! And most if not all of us are paying in via LP, going to games/purchasing tickets, purchasing Celtic paraphernalia, etc. So we do get a say! We're just smaller stakeholders in the grand scheme of things.

Trade deadline is 3+ weeks away. One of two things will happen. Something or nothing. That's it. It will tell us where the Celtics brass is at and what they see for the immediate future and perhaps the long-term future.

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 am

It’s also a players problem, the last 2 months Tatum’s 3% is 33%. Rozier has turned into a turnstile, we don’t know what we get from GH game to game, Al is in that same boat and Baynes is out. I saw the first game of season vs 76ers and Tatum looked like Kobe going one on one numerous times, he looked so poised to have a big year. Meanwhile Tatum clones are balling, Knox just had a 30 point game, Kuzma had a 40 point game and the real deal Tatum can hit a few shots, but struggles for too many stretches....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:52 am

Kleen are you concerned with Tatum’s slump?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:It’s also a players problem, the last 2 months Tatum’s 3% is 33%. Rozier has turned into a turnstile, we don’t know what we get from GH game to game, Al is in that same boat and Baynes is out. I saw the first game of season vs 76ers and Tatum looked like Kobe going one on one numerous times, he looked so poised to have a big year. Meanwhile Tatum clones are balling, Knox just had a 30 point game, Kuzma had a 40 point game and the real deal Tatum can hit a few shots, but struggles for too many stretches....

Nice thoughts oldschool - it seems that crystal-balling the future should be subject to a bunch of ifs - especially when it's a based on the limited track record of the very young - no need for a rush to judgement.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:33 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Kleen are you concerned with Tatum’s slump?

Nope. Sixth in his draft class in scoring, 5th in rebounding, shooting 45% from the field on a team that is getting the opponents best shot every night.

Not concerned in the slightest.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Tatum is not the problem. Not sure any one player is the problem. For the most part, the chemistry of this team has not been great. They seem to either blow people out or lose. When they get behind, they kind of panic and go into 'bad-3 point shot' mode. Occasionally, they get hot and stage a comeback, but for the most part it doesn't work. On the other hand, when they are hot, they play beautifully, and crush teams. But they seem to only play this way when they are hot. This tells me the chemistry/character of this team is off.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Shamrock,

That was always Sam's #1 point. He called it synergy. He had the pleasure of being around all the championship teams of the 60's. If I'm correct and understood him correctly, he traveled with those teams and saw a majority of their practices. (Those on this site/board members please correct me if I'm off base here!) But you are correct. All the other Celtic championship teams had that synergy/chemistry in spades. This team is still searching...although it has flashes of pure brilliance. Obviously, we'd love it if they kept that and displayed it for every game!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down