Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo

3 posters

Go down

Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo Empty Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:56 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/knicks-apparently-nba-team-not-scout-giannis-antetokounmpo-005811567.html

Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo

Jason Owens,Yahoo Sports
17 hours ago

Add this one to the list of James Dolan-era New York Knicks accolades.

The Knicks were the only NBA team to decline to scout Milwaukee Bucks phenom Giannis Antetokounmpo when he was a rising star in Greece. That is, according to Antetokounmpo’s Greek agent Giorgos Panou.

How Giannis landed on scout’s radars

Panou sat down for the upcoming TNT documentary “Finding Giannis” that goes into the background of how Antetokounmpo rose from the relative obscurity of Greek basketball to become one of the game’s greatest players.

Panou said he reached out to NBA scouts and general managers early in the process without getting a bite. Team’s weren’t interested until Draft Express’ Jonathan Givony visited and posted video of Antetokounmpo on his web site.

That’s when the NBA started paying attention, Panou said. For the most part.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1095771902776406016
Jonathan Givony
✔️
@DraftExpress
One more outtake from the "Finding Giannis" documentary, airing Saturday on TNT at 630pm EST. Whatever you do Knicks fans, do not watch this video all the way to the end. #FindingGiannis

11:49 AM - Feb 13, 2019

Every team but the Knicks

“So after Jonathan came and his footage was outside on Draft Express, scouts started flying to Greece,” Panou said. “Every day at practice, at games – executives, GMs, assistant coaches.

“Every team came, you know – 29 teams. Except Knicks, New York Knicks.”

That bit of news should come as no surprise to loyal followers of the team that just traded its best shot at hope in years on a long-shot gamble. The Knicks have been screwing up for decades.

Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo 825e4b3ed6e199b328fcd2b6d22d674d
Plenty of teams whiffed on Giannis Antetokounmpo, but the Knicks were apparently the only one to fail to do due diligence. (Getty)

Lots of teams missed on Giannis, but …

Of course, it’s not fair to single out the Knicks for missing on Antetokounmpo.

Plenty of teams whiffed on the Greek Freak, who fell to the Bucks with the 15th pick of the 2013 draft. Names like Shabazz Muhammad (Utah Jazz, No. 14), Ben McLemore (Sacramento Kings, No. 7) and Cody Zeller (Bobcats, No. 4) were all called before Antetokounmpo’s.

And of course, the Cleveland Cavaliers made perhaps the worst draft pick of all time in selecting Anthony Bennett No. 1 overall that year.

But the fact that that Knicks didn’t even bother to do their due diligence and were the only team to fail to do so? That’s a story only Dolan can write.

bob
MY NOTE:  Milwaukee thought lightning would strike twice with Thon Maker but there is only one Freak. The Knicks, however...this is why rumors of Anthony Davis wanting to play in NY is so hard for me to believe. He's not from there, unlike Kyrie, so why would he want to go to that perennial James Dolan guano dumpster fire?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo Empty Re: Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo

Post by wideclyde Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Of the 28 other teams I surely wish that the Cs had drafted him when they had the chance. I would not have minded even one little bit if Kelly Olynik had been an NBA player for another team for the first four years of his NBA career.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo Empty Re: Knicks were apparently the only NBA team to not scout Giannis Antetokounmpo

Post by dboss Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:56 pm

It is hard for me to throw shade on the Knicks.

I read scouting reports on him prior to the draft. and viewed film and thought he was an option for Boston.  Instead Danny Ainge jumped over him in a trade to draft Kelly.

I'm sure some Celtics fans will say but a lot of teams missed on drafting the freak.  That is true but in admitting that fact it only serves to lump the Celtics in with other stupid, short sighted teams.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down