What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics?

+6
dboss
mrkleen09
NYCelt
bobheckler
kdp59
gyso
10 posters

Go down

What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics? Empty What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics?

Post by gyso Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:41 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/what-does-aron-baynes-being-out-mean-celtics

The Celtics once again finding themselves dealing with an injury to a key player.

Boston center Aron Baynes came down awkwardly on his left foot in the second quarter on Wednesday night, and did not return to the game.
Following Boston’s 118-115 loss to Philadelphia, Celtics head coach Brad Stevens said he has a Grade-2 sprain.

And that means Baynes will likely miss multiple weeks of action, potentially putting his availability for the start of the postseason in jeopardy.

What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics? Baynes10

This is the latest setback for Baynes in what has been an injury-riddled season for the 6-foot-10 center who had the best defensive rating (96.6) in the NBA last season.

Baynes missed 13 games with a fractured finger; 11 with a foot bruise; three with a strained hamstring and another two with a left ankle sprain - the same ankle he sprained tonight.

Boston’s record without Baynes this season is 16-13 which speaks to how important he is to the team’s success - particularly on defense - despite playing just 14.8 minutes per game.

Baynes has appeared in 43 games this season and is on pace to play the fewest amount of games since his rookie season (2012-2013) with the San Antonio Spurs.

He came into tonight’s game averaging 5.3 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.2 assists while shooting 45.7 percent from the field and a career-high 31.5 percent from 3-point range.

Back to top Go down

What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics? Empty Re: What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics?

Post by gyso Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:08 am

Does anyone think Jared Sullinger could help? I don't know when the Chinese league is over, but maybe he has played enough minutes per game to be in some kind of game shape.

We need someone to fit into the 15th roster spot, so who else is big enough (all joking aside) and who knows Brad's system already?

If not Sully, who else?

Back to top Go down

What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics? Empty Re: What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics?

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:44 am

Gortat

Tyler Zeller

are two big men who have at least played a couple NBA games this year.

after that I got nothing.

Danny has been sitting on the open spot for some reason I assume.

other big men playing in China right now include

Dakari Johnson
Cole Aldrich
Brandon Bass
Jason Thompson
Donatas Motiejunas

along with the already mentioned Sullinger.

so maybe one of those is who Danny has been waiting on.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 am

The playoffs start in 3 weeks.

What does Aron Baynes being out mean to Celtics? D2Jb83EXgAQySgA

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:38 am

Baynes is badly needed for the playoffs. Unless Williams starts getting time so he has a better idea of how to execute, the team has no other legitimate stopper.

Forget home court. Don't even try to bring Baynes back before the post-season and rest Horford as much as possible. Let Williams learn and get Theis minutes.

Boston isn't going to drop lower than 5th, and it's not worth losing the two main bigs for the playoffs to try for 4th.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:45 pm

As long as Robert Williams is healthy, I think this is a chance to get him on the court.

But in no way can I cosign giving Theis minutes to Williams. Robert is 100% not ready for prime time and Daniel has had a good season.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:As long as Robert Williams is healthy, I think this is a chance to get him on the court.  

But in no way can I cosign giving Theis minutes to Williams.  Robert is 100% not ready for prime time and Daniel has had a good season.

I'm not advocating giving Theis minutes to Williams. I should have put a coma after learn or made it two sentences.

Better yet...Let Wiliams Learn. Also, get minutes for Theis.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:29 pm

The Celtics have not spent enough time developing Robert Williams. He is not ready for the playoffs as of this writing.

I see no reason not to get him into the rotation off the bench right now. Theis should handle the center spot in small ball lineups and Williams should be utilized when we need more size and length.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Good news on Baynes injury. Might play as early as Sunday against the Spurs.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/brad-stevens-aron-baynes-could-return-celtics-lineup-early-sunday

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:12 pm

"What does Aron Baynes being out mean to the Celtics"? Well, one thing it means is the return of Greg Monroe on a 10 day contract.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Greg Monroe signed to a 10 day contract with Celtics.

Remember when I asked about him? I know he hardly played in the playoffs, but once Toronto got Gasol they had no use for Monroe.

Hey, he is a big body, had a couple of decent games for the Celtics
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:41 pm

Oh god
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:23 am

Report: Celtics sign Greg Monroe to 10-day contract

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-celtics-sign-greg-monroe-012551877.html

BOSTON -- With injuries, inexperience and the need for rest making the Boston Celtics even more vulnerable when it comes to their frontcourt depth, the team has apparently found a temporary solution.

Shams Charania of the Athletic says ex-Celtic Greg Monroe has agreed to a 10-day contract with Boston.

Monroe played 26 games with the Celtics last season, averaging 10.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 19.1 minutes per game.

He appeared in 38 games with Toronto this season before being traded to the Brooklyn Nets who wound up waiving the 28-year-old center.

Signing Monroe to a 10-day contract makes sense for both the Celtics and Monroe.

For Boston, it affords them the opportunity to rest Al Horford and not be overly concerned about the center position with Aron Baynes' ankle sprain, originally diagnosed as a Grade-2 sprain, apparently not being as severe following an MRI in Boston.

He could return as early as Sunday's game against San Antonio, but the addition of Monroe gives Boston the option of allowing Baynes added time to rest even if he's healthy enough to resume action.

And for Monroe, he will get an opportunity to play and in doing so, potentially up his stock in the eyes of potential suitors this summer when he's seeking to be signed during the free agency period.

Boston also has rookie Robert Williams III and Daniel Theis at center, but both have had their shares of inconsistent play which made the need for adding a proven, veteran center a necessity in the eyes of the Celtics as they try and close out the season playing well, with momentum heading into the playoffs.

My comments: I prefer to look at this as a positive move. He's been here before and he is a veteran player. We can still aim for a better seeding position with Greg on board and rest Al and Aron for the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 am

GREAT news on Baynes!!

I forgot that Monroe was traded and cut earlier, but that was easy to forget too.

he has played for Brad before though and should be able to step right in and provide minutes as a big body (though I doubt he's gotten any quicker on defense).

probably the best move Danny could make at this point. I just wonder why they didn't just sign him for the rest of the season now?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 am

Well, Monroe's a big anyway.

He can generate a little offense. We need that from the low post.

Defense? Not known for that end, but maybe can grab a board or two.

On a 10-day, it's a positive. No one else really floating around and no real risk. Might help some.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 am

NYCelt wrote:Well, Monroe's a big anyway.

He can generate a little offense. We need that from the low post.

Defense? Not known for that end, but maybe can grab a board or two.

On a 10-day, it's a positive. No one else really floating around and no real risk. Might help some.

NY,

From above:

Monroe played 26 games with the Celtics last season, averaging 10.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 19.1 minutes per game.

Those numbers surprised me.  He may give most of those points back due to his poor defense, but the boards and assists will be a bonus.

edit: he will probably get more minutes this time.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:47 am

As far as i am concerned, it is an insurance policy for both Baynes and Horford. Who knows what could happen. The one thing I remember about Monroe is that he was a good teammate, locker room and on the floor. That can only be a plus. Better than an empty seat at #15 on the bench
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:16 pm

I thought that all the dinosaurs were killed off 65 million years ago.

GYSO Monroes' playoff numbers from last year were poor.

4.8 points and 3.2 rebounds.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4260/type/nba/year/2018

Is this the best that Danny could do to fill the 15th roster spot? Last year Monroe moved like a 3 toed sloth. He could not help us at all on defense and on offense he could barely get the ball over the rim on layups.

I pray Aron will be back by playoff time.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Dboss just looked at your link, in the playoff games he got the minutes, he was actually productive, better rebounder than Al, not that that is saying much....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:36 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Dboss just looked at your link, in the playoff games he got the minutes, he was actually productive, better rebounder than Al, not that that is saying much....

Look at the thread that BobH started about Monroe. I think he had three good games, in one he had a double-double. In the other games, he didn't play that much, if at all. That fact tends to screw up the averages.

I actually couldn't care less about his production last season. It was a different situation then. Monroe may not even be around this season in the playoffs. This may be mostly about getting Al and Aron rested and ready for the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:54 pm

The bottom line for me is a 10 day look see is a waste unless you plan to keep him on the playoff roster.  In any event we need a productive rebounder and scorer in the paint at center.  We just do not have that. I would rather see Brad give RW 10 minutes per game.

We got toughness issues down low.  Greg Monroe does not change that.  My hope rests with Aron being healthy come playoff time and Al having the stamina to survive a grueling post season.

Monroe to me is a joke and a poor excuse for not addressing an obvious problem with this roster.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down