POST GAME INDY PACERS - HOME - PACERS 112 - BOSTON 114 FINAL

+3
NYCelt
mrkleen09
7 posters

Go down

POST GAME INDY PACERS - HOME - PACERS 112 - BOSTON 114 FINAL Empty POST GAME INDY PACERS - HOME - PACERS 112 - BOSTON 114 FINAL

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:29 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Leapfrogs Pacers In East Standings With Thrilling Win

NESN by Adam London on Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 9:22PM

BOSTON — In what almost certainly will be a playoff preview, the Boston Celtics rose to the occasion.

After squandering an early 13-point lead Friday night at TD Garden, the Celtics stayed the course and gutted out a 114-112 win over the Indiana Pacers. Boston moved up to fourth place in the Eastern Conference standings with six games remaining on its regular-season schedule, one of which in Indiana.

Kyrie Irving notched a game-high 30 points and was one of six Celtics to score in double figures. Aron Baynes provided a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds in his third straight start. Bojan Bogdanovic (27 points) was red-hot from wire-to-wire, but his efforts weren’t enough to lift the Pacers to a road win.

With the win, the Celtics improved to 45-31, while the Pacers dropped to 45-31. Boston currently owns the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Al Horford
C: Aron Baynes

STRONG START
The Celtics wasted no time putting pressure on the Pacers, opening the game on a 9-1 to force Indiana coach Nate McMillan to call a timeout at the 9:42 mark. It didn’t get a whole lot better for the visitors from there, as Boston maintained the momentum from its hot start and took a 35-25 lead into the second quarter.

Brad Stevens’ decision to start Baynes paid off yet again, as the big man notched seven first-quarter points and pulled down three rebounds. Irving matched Baynes with seven of his own, while Al Horford provided six and Jaylen Brown turned in five off the bench. The C’s shot 50 percent from the field and assisted on all but four of their 14 first-quarter baskets. Bogdanovic paced Indiana with six points.

PACERS PUNCH BACK
Indiana wasn’t going to let this one get out of hand.

The Pacers outscored the Celtics 12-3 over the first three minutes of the second quarter and took their first lead of the game when Cory Joseph laid one in at the 7:59 mark. Boston proceeded to build its lead back up to eight, but Indiana closed the second on a 5-0 run to trim the deficit to 63-60 at the break.

Bogdanovic continued to be a menace for the C’s, leading all scorers with 12 second-quarter points and 18 for the half. T.J. Leaf provided the Pacers with a boost of the bench, scoring eight after being limited to two in the first. Tatum carried the load for the Celtics in the second with nine points, while Brown logged six. Boston didn’t do itself any favors by committing seven second-quarter turnovers after giving the ball away just once in the first.

BACK AND FORTH
Neither team could create any sort of separation in the third, as the two sides traded basket after basket in a well-played quarter that concluded with Indiana holding a 91-89 advantage.

It sure looked as though Irving was about to take the game over, as the star point guard scored 10 points in the first two minutes of the third. He cooled off from there, though, scoring just two points for the remainder of the frame. Myles Turner was a handful for the Celtics and matched Irving with 12 third-quarter points. Bogdanovic continued his big night with seven points in the period.

FIGHT TO THE FINISH
The Celtics and Pacers traded slim leads throughout the fourth quarter, setting up for a thrilling final few minutes. Smart broke a tie with a 3-pointer with 2:29 to go, only to be countered by a Darren Collison trey 27 seconds later. Irving and Thaddeus Young followed suit on the teams’ next possessions, draining baskets separated by just 20 seconds.

After a brief scoreless spell that lasted nearly one minute and 20 seconds as the game wound down, Irving dashed to the basket to put the Celtics ahead with a layup with just 0.5 seconds to go. The Pacers had a chance to win it at the buzzer, but their last-ditch effort didn’t go.

PLAY OF THE GAME
Silky smooth.

UP NEXT
The Celtics will play the second leg of their back-to-back Saturday night in Brooklyn against the Nets. Tip-off from Barclays Center is set for 6 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME INDY PACERS - HOME - PACERS 112 - BOSTON 114 FINAL Empty Re: POST GAME INDY PACERS - HOME - PACERS 112 - BOSTON 114 FINAL

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Almost every game I watch in amazement at how genuinely awful the officiating is in the NBA. Evil or Very Mad
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

POST GAME INDY PACERS - HOME - PACERS 112 - BOSTON 114 FINAL Empty Re: POST GAME INDY PACERS - HOME - PACERS 112 - BOSTON 114 FINAL

Post by NYCelt Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:27 am

Big game for Baynes, strong offense from Irving including that last second layup.

Nice effort from Hayward and Brown.

Celtics recover from blown big lead to slip past Indiana.

Looks like the right starting five to take it the rest of the way. Two bigs in the front-court = success again.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:08 am

That was an incredibly intense and, for the most art ,well-played game, by both teams. I expect a knock down drag out playoff series. Home court advantage could be crucial. Jaylen Brown seems to get better and better and Marcus Smart's intensity is a joy to behold. I don't know how far this team can go, but if they play as hard as they did tonight, I'll be happy. They need to do a better job on the defensive boards , though.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:27 am

Only caveat is no Victor Oladipo... But a win is a win.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 am

The refs have something against us, they probably hate the Patriots. We get hammered, no calls, every little ticky tack foul gets called against us. Morris never gets a call...!!!

Something is clearly wrong with Rozier, so much wasted motion, he looks off balance all the time, can’t pass for shit. He might be out of the league in a few years. I’m starting to think Tatum is not strong enough to play effectively in this league, he keeps on slumping, is he only good for one quarter or one half? Thankfully we have GH and Jaylen. Those 2 guys are earning and showing they need more minutes and Tatum looks closer to Cory Brewer than Alex English. If he was AE we’d be thrilled at this point. Right now Jaylen is way better, way stronger than Tatum.

Best game of season for Baynes, wish RW was the best version of himself. This season shows me as much talk that there is of positionless basketball, this team still needs traditional structure more, and when our bigs play good, we are much more competitive.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:32 am

Credit to the Pacers for playing a practically error-free game.  I agree with MrKleen, the mind-boggling incompetence of NBA refs is beyond description.  

And this is why we want Kyrie Irving.  He has bad games, just like everybody else, but when he's zeroed in he is almost unstoppable.  There comes a time in every close game when you need a stop and you need a bucket.  Kyrie will get you that bucket.  I just wish he didn't go for quite as many 25'+ heat checks.

And Marcus Smart will get you the stop.  He didn't score much but, as we all know, that's not what he's out there for.  6 assists and only 2 TOs was him doing his floor general job but 4 steals is him being the difference-maker on defense that he is.  The Boston Celtics have a well-earned tradition of being a defense-oriented team.  That's why I love Marcus Smart.  We talk about great players who do not elevate the play of the players on the floor with him, and there are players who do.  Marcus Smart is one of the latter.  He makes the other Celtics want to give more, and that is a trait of great leaders.

The Phantom struck again.  He was there, hitting shots, and then disappeared.  1 first quarter point for Tatum, then 9 2nd quarter points for a total of 10 at the half, and then just 1 more point in 11 2nd half minutes.  One quarter, out of 4.  4 turnovers.  I didn't know he touched the ball that many times.

The other J, though, showed up.  A lot of people think he should move up to the starting role he used to have but, man, he is feasting coming off the bench.  16 points on a VERY efficient 7-10.  Only 1 3pt fga (Hallelujah!).  With the exception of his 1 3pt fga (and fgm), every other fga by Jaylen was in the lane and all but one in the paint.  I know all about spreading the floor and all but this is what I really want from Jaylen Brown.  Attack the rim, attack the rim, attack the rim.  He has been on a roll lately.  Just what we need, heading into the playoffs.

Baynes with one of, if not the #1, best game of his career as a Celtic.  He gave us exactly what we needed.  Miles Turner is a talent, and I'd love to have him in green (not going to happen) but other than Sabonis (whom I would also love to see in green.  I wonder what it would take?) who is Indy's beef?  Baynes went in and threw his big body around.

Rozier is useless.  Morris, who had a few games in a row, underachieved last night.  In the playoffs we don't want Terry Rozier and Marcus Morris.  What we need is Scary Terry and The Mook.  I hope they show up, or it could be a quick hook.

We are now in 4th place, ahead of Indy. If we lose tonight in Brooklyn this victory will have been wasted. We have to win out the rest of the way, because there's a good chance we'll lose in Indy, to be safe.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071803

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:59 am

I think Kyrie is better as a scorer and passser as the 2, let Smart initiate the offense and put Kyrie in a better position to attack and create....as a lead point, he has to beat too many defenders geared to stop him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:36 am

Good point, Cowens. There are exceptions, but most of the time it seems to work better that way.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down