Lakers Hire Frank Vogel as New Head Coach

+4
Ktronic1
NYCelt
gyso
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Lakers Hire Frank Vogel as New Head Coach Empty Lakers Hire Frank Vogel as New Head Coach

Post by bobheckler Sun May 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski
✔
@wojespn
Frank Vogel has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell ESPN.

3:49 PM - May 11, 2019

Well respected coach at Indiana and Orlando. A 3-year deal which, coincidentally?, also coincides with the end of LeBron's contract. This was, effectively, the same deal Tyronn Lue walked away from. He felt like he was being hired just to be the "LeBron Whisperer" and was insulted by that inference. Vogel, apparently, doesn't care about that. Also, the Lakers wanted Lue to take Vogel and Kidd as assistant coaches and Lue, understandably, wanted to pick his own assistants. So the Lakers said goodbye to Lue and hired the man who was over qualified to be his assistant in the first place as the head coach.

Jason Kidd was also still hired as an assistant coach, just as was envisioned by the Lakers with Lue.

Good job getting those pieces in place with plenty of time to work out draft prospects. I have to say, though, it is VERY unusual for management to be SO controlling on the hiring of assistant coaches.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lakers Hire Frank Vogel as New Head Coach Empty Re: Lakers Hire Frank Vogel as New Head Coach

Post by gyso Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 pm

I have to say, though, it is VERY unusual for management to be SO controlling on the hiring of assistant coaches.

It made me think that the Lakers really did not want Lue as head coach.  The narrative with that hire made the Lakers look weak, bent knee to LeBron and all.  Besides, what did they need with three past head coaches onboard, whatever their actual titles turned out to be?

So now they have two past head coaches (plus whoever else gets hired to be the other assistant coaches).  Does Kidd become an "associate" coach, like Thibs was under Doc or does he just become an "assistant"?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Lakers Hire Frank Vogel as New Head Coach Empty Re: Lakers Hire Frank Vogel as New Head Coach

Post by NYCelt Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Good hires by the Lakers. They have a lot to do to turn their mess around. Good first steps.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 pm

NYCelt wrote:Good hires by the Lakers. They have a lot to do to turn their mess around. Good first steps.

I don’t think it matters who they’ve hired (btw I disagree that its a good move). The top of the chain is totally F’ ed and as long as that exists doesn’t matter who the head coach is. Needless to say, I’m happy as a pig in slop that they’re in disarray.
Just curious, why do you think that its a good hire?
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun May 12, 2019 8:47 pm

I have always liked Vogel as a coach even though his stint as the Magic coach didn’t turn out well.

I understand why Lue tried to get what he tried from LA and why the Lakers would not give in. Lue is getting paid $5m this year and next year from Cleveland. To accept $6m per year from LA was not much more than what he will make sitting on his couch. I’ve read that Kyrie and Lue were not fond of each other. If the Lakers are going to try to sign Kyrie and if Lue and Kyrie had a great relationship, I would have been disappointed that LA did not meet Lue’s demands.

Ultimately, I think the Lakers coach will make a very little difference.
At least now, they have a good coach and they can focus with Vogel on the lottery, workouts, the draft and free agency.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun May 12, 2019 10:21 pm

TJ, with Kidd in LA I expect Lonzo will blossom as a PG.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 12, 2019 10:37 pm

worcester wrote:TJ, with Kidd in LA I expect Lonzo will blossom as a PG.
He has a good game except like Rondo, he can’t shoot and with his shooting motion don’t see his shooting improving enough, unless he completely throws away that ugly motion, surprised his father never fixed that for him when was young.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Kidd developed his own 3 point shot after a poor (.272%) start. He'll be Lonzo's shooting coach I bet.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm

worcester wrote:Kidd developed his own 3 point shot after a poor (.272%) start. He'll be Lonzo's shooting coach I bet.
Right and Kidd never had that ugly bring it down on one side first before bringing it up shooting motion either to overcome, well put enough shooters/all stars around him like Rondo in his early years and it won’t matter....but to rely Kidd to straighten out those mechanics, we’ll see....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 am

good hire by the Lakers and much better than Lue, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down