"The Lakers didn't play tough enough..." Jim Rome

+4
mrkleen09
beat
Sam
worcester
8 posters

Go down

"The Lakers didn't play tough enough..." Jim Rome Empty "The Lakers didn't play tough enough..." Jim Rome

Post by worcester Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:11 pm

"The Lakers didn't play tough enough, mentally or physically, [this series] to beat the Celtics" Jim Rome, June 14, 2010. 1:02 p.m. EST

TJ, BabySky Hook - agree or disagree?

Imagine, a respected sports commentator (from LA even) making such an absurd, disrespectful comment about the Lakers - or as you both once put it, "a slap in the face to the whole Lakers organization."

Imagine.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

"The Lakers didn't play tough enough..." Jim Rome Empty Re: "The Lakers didn't play tough enough..." Jim Rome

Post by Sam Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I have to credit the Lakers for making such a gallant try yesterday. Yes, I realize it was mostly Kobe who did the scoring. But I think they have been dealt a real blow with the Bynum situation. It's not just that they got very little out of him yesterday. The fact that he played, but relatively ineffectively, had a major bearing on his teammates. The Gasol-Bynum tandem on the boards and on defense was too often a Gasol solo. Bynum's picks were missed by a number of the Lakers.

It's very much like what the Celtics experienced earlier in the year. The absence of just one player had ramifications far greater than his individual contributions. The roles of the remaining players had to be modified, and that can be a very difficult proposition literally overnight. Consequently, the team has greater difficulty finding a rhythm on the court.

I understand that Bynum has been out before, and the Lakers have found ways to win. But not against this team under this kind of pressure. Rome may say the Lakers didn't play tough enough; but who is the guy they rally around for their toughness?

We can all be certain that Phil Jackson will assess the situation and try to set up circumstances that will maximize their remaining strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Doc will have to be on his toes to recognize changes in Lakers strategy and adjust to them.

I hope there are no more injuries on either side and Phil's decision regarding Bynum will be what's right for the Lakers. IF the Celtics are fortunate enough to win the championship, I'd like it to be against the best the Lakers have to offer.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

"The Lakers didn't play tough enough..." Jim Rome Empty Re: "The Lakers didn't play tough enough..." Jim Rome

Post by beat Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Sam

Time to make significant changes in style is long gone.

I give Bynum all the credit in the world for trying but like you and I sort of said at what point does the attempt to play outweight the investment of minutes he's getting? Tough one for Phil to handle for sure.

Injuries happen, Lord knows we've been down that road.

I think it boils down to Phil not really developing players on the bench to play suitable minutes thus leaving the starters playing way to much. And now at this level there is virtually no wiggle room. He's gotta go with what he has.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:00 pm

You play the team that is in front of you. If not for injuries, the Lakers might not be defending champions - and the Celitcs might be on the verge of a three peat.

If Bynum is hurt, too bad. KG was hurt last year and no one felt bad about it and that is their own fault for not getting the kid a scope in the first round of the playoffs. If they did that, he would be in much better shape now...as would his team. Not only are they on the verge of losing partially because of Bynum's inability to play effective ball, but they have probably destroyed any chance of using Bynum as part of any sign and trade in the off season as he is clearly DAMAGED GOODS.

As for Jim Rome's comments, he says it like it is some kind of revelation. The Western Conference has ALWAYS been soft - and the Lakers are the latest team to carry the torch. Gasol allows himself to be pushed further and further from the basket - because he is afraid to get beat on all night long. Odom wants nothing to do with driving to the hoop. And Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar, and even Kobe are having trouble penetrating the Celtics interior.

Celtics will win on Tuesday - with grit, toughness, and desire. They will smash the Laker's will in the first quarter, beat them down in the second and third, and overcome a late run with heart and courage.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Jackson has a long history of playing his starters heavy minutes and using a short bench. Can't say it's worked out poorly for him, he has 10 championships after all.

But it's times like this that philosophy will bite you (or, in this case, him) in the ass.

He has no backup center. Gasol isn't really a 5, Odom is long but not wide and DJ Mbenga has more splinters in his ass than Pinocchio. If Jackson and his staff put the time and effort into DJ, then he should be playing now (and in the regular season) OR he should not have been resigned as anything other than a practice squad player and they should have made the effort to sign a legitimate backup center in the offseason or before the trade deadline. Based upon all the rumors I heard swirling around the trade deadline, they were more hungry for a backup point guard than they were for a backup center.

Quite frankly, it absolutely stuns me that any team would put itself in a position where it would have no backup center and a starting center with a history of injuries heading into the playoffs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Mr Kleen - You mean the Celtics will win Thursday, don't you. As for the Lakers, I respect them. They are a quality team. They are a very, very worthy opponent. However, I share Jim Rome's view that they are just not tough enough. Ironically, it is their toughest guy physically - Ron Artest - who I fault with not showing mental toughness. He's played much better in the past but is becoming a non-factor. Odom has also played very weak, and these guys are from the same tough neighborhood in NYC. Fisher is tough as nails. Kobe is tough as nails. Pau is getting tougher. But who on the Lakers bench do that have to match the intensity of the Celtics bench, our frothing at the mouth Glenn Davis, our Junior Microwave (Vinnie Johnson) Nate Robinson, our way too intense at times Raheed, our Mr. Gritty defense Tony Allen? Who?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:17 pm

worcester wrote:Mr Kleen - You mean the Celtics will win Thursday, don't you.

No, I mean what I said...the Celtics will win on Tuesday Night in Game 6.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jackson has a long history of playing his starters heavy minutes and using a short bench. Can't say it's worked out poorly for him, he has 10 championships after all.

But it's times like this that philosophy will bite you (or, in this case, him) in the ass.

He has no backup center. Gasol isn't really a 5, Odom is long but not wide and DJ Mbenga has more splinters in his ass than Pinocchio. If Jackson and his staff put the time and effort into DJ, then he should be playing now (and in the regular season) OR he should not have been resigned as anything other than a practice squad player and they should have made the effort to sign a legitimate backup center in the offseason or before the trade deadline. Based upon all the rumors I heard swirling around the trade deadline, they were more hungry for a backup point guard than they were for a backup center.

Quite frankly, it absolutely stuns me that any team would put itself in a position where it would have no backup center and a starting center with a history of injuries heading into the playoffs.

bob

Reminds me of a quote from the late great Red Auerbach about Phil Jackson

“Most of your great coaches do some teaching and developing of players. Phil may be able to do it, but he hasn't shown it. His teams have been ready-made.”
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Mr Kleen - I spaced out and thought Game 6 was Thursday. No disrespect meant for teh Celts chances in Game 6. W
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Sorry, Sam. You are only going to get the best the Lakers have to offer at this moment in time.

The best the Lakers can offer is Kobe going off for 40+, Gasol hitting 80% from mid-range all in the same game and Bynum playing to the best of his abilities. Other than that, this is all they have shown us thus far at their best.

Heck, even the Celtics haven't given us their best yet. Last night was close, but the old blowing the 4th quarter lead crippler raised its head and tarnished the victory somewhat. Fortunately, we've seen it so many times, I actually think the Celtics are prophecy fulfilling it in their mind and know how to combat it now when it happens. Their best comes when Rondo is in 3D land, fancy assists/plays, Pierce playing like he did last night, Ray making 8 3's, the bench rising up like it did in Game 4.

Unfortunately, none of these things have happened simultaneously. This allows you, me and others to make the gradual improvement statements in that we have seen good play, some of it spectacular and we would like to now see a complete Celtic victory ala Game 6 2008, thus showing more improvement from the last game. That would be icing on the cake right now. Are we going to get it? On the opposing teams court? There are only potentially two games left.

I think given the conditions of playing in LA, a complete Celtic victory where they win by 12-16, hold the lead throughout and add to it, Rondo goes 3D with balanced scoring, 20 team fouls, Ray makes 4-5 threes, 9 TO's and the bench adds 10 points is not an unreasonable request and would make a great lasting memory to close out the playoffs.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:00 pm

bobh,

As an avatar aficionado myself, you have my compliments on your outstanding and appropriate avatar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Dbrown,

I always assume we're going to get the opponent's best. No exceptions. Counting on something less than their best is a weakness. Only by making that assumption can a team gear ITSELF to the max.

If the Celtics figure they won't get the Lakers' best, it will make the Celtics vulnerable to something LESS than the Lakers' best.

No offense, but I'm not buying a word of it. I'm also not into predicting what we might get from a given player. What if he collects two fouls in the first minute? Or a fourth foul in the first minute of the third quarter? What about injuries? All sorts of things can happen. A team has to be as ready as possible for any eventuality. Only by expecting the very best from their opponent can they maximize their state of readiness.

And, believe me, the Celtics' state of readiness should be much more important to us right now than handicapping the Lakers' state of readiness.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Exactly Sam...
News flash to most of the media...This series isn't over...
I would love to see the C's focus so intently that they hold the Lakers under 80 points, while scoring 80+ ...in game 6
Just one mans fantasy.....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Agreed. I guess I should have said expect their collective best (and ours), be prepared for their collective best (and ours) but in reality, more than likely you won't see it and will have to adjust your vision accordingly. Be vigilant and prepared, but don't lose sleep over it. This sounds like the definition of coaching.

We've only seen one Game 6 2008. That's about as perfect/best as things can get as far as Celtics v. Lakers in a closeout. It hasn't repeated itself yet. It may never. Just like Phil didn't prepare for the Nate Robinson/Glen Davis Game 4 show. My fantasy example above would be my definition of a "perfect" closeout game in LA. They've been building towards this final game all season. I am confident we will see something pretty close to that Tuesday. And if not then, Thursday.

Perfection/A Team's best is very seldom if ever (OK, never) necessary to win a series or game for that matter. Being prepared on both ends for perfection/best...absolutely. We'll never need 4 repeats of Game 6 2008 to beat LA. It certainly was fitting and fulfilling at the time though and I personally would like another dose of it!

This Celtic team will leave everything on the court Tuesday, win or lose. These guys had to struggle in this series, but I think they have turned the corner and they are in a very quiet place right now known as The Zone where the basket on their end is as wide an the Atlantic and LA's basket is the size of a pinhead, which some may argue is Phil.

We're splitting hairs on perception v. reality. No offense taken. If I and you believe this team is continuing to gradually improve, and they have, game by game and series by series, tomorrow should and will be no exception. They will not disappoint us.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I expect both the Lakers and Celts will play their best games of the series so far. Intensity to the max.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down