NYCelt
worcester
dboss
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Big Three  Empty The Big Three

Post by dboss Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:31 pm

As the Boston Celtics navigate their way through a very significant transition period,  there are many unanswered questions.

The two most significant changes revolve around the departures of Kyrie Irving and Al Horford.  There is no way to downplay these changes. A third and also important change is likely to include  the departure of Marcus Morris.

If I had a vote, I would vote to retain Terry Rozier because he already knows the system and should be able to function at a level that allows Boston to play the same style that Stevens prefers.   More about Terry further down in this thread.

With the impending flight of Horford,  Boston's #1 priority is to find a new starting center.  We have seen several names mentioned.  If the Celtics want to maintain a similar style of play on offense they will need to find a center that can play the pick and pop game that stretches out to the 3 point arc.  Sometimes we may think of AH as a great 3 point shooter.  He in fact has been a top 3 point shooter but not a high volume shooter in averaging only 3 attempts per game and making 1.1 per game.  He has been a weapon with his ability to knock down shots in the mid range area.
Is Boston prepared to transition to an inside out offense where post offensive opportunities are not just a diversion?  If Boston ends up with a center that does not shoot well from outside, they will be forced to alter the offense. 

If the Celtics keep Terry Rozier it will reduce the CAP space available in free agency and could impact their ability to go after a highend center like Vuc.  At this point we do not know how much it will cost to sign a center like Vuc but I think he will be the top FA center on the market.

A lot of people on this board as well as other Celtics fans are upset with Terry Rozier because of some things that he has said and there was also the inconsistent play from him all year.  Terry will never be a great PG in terms of running an offense because he lacks the creative skills to get the ball to his teammates.  He's a streaky shooter that can and will go ice cold in the blink of an eye.  He rebounds  well and he does not turn the ball over at a high rate.  He is lightning quick getting up and down the court off the dribble and he can play defense when he is engaged but at times lacks the discipline to stay with his man.  He is an enigma in many respects.  His major shooting flaw keeps showing up like a persistent rash as he drifts to his left when taking jumpers. When he stays squared up he is effective.  I am less antagonistic towards his off season comments than others because I felt like he was being honest.  He wanted a bigger role and proved during the playoffs last year that he could handle a bigger role but his ultimate goal is clear.  He wants to be the starting PG for the Celtics or some other team if he goes there.  His value to Boston increased on the day that Kyrie Irving said "ask me in July"  I do not see any viable FA PG replacements for Rozier.  In either case, Boston will enter a period where they do not have a top end point guard.   I do think Boston needs to retain his services because they do need him on opening day and he will have a tradeable contract if things move sideways. 

I do not know where to begin regarding Marcus Morris.  His consistent play all season and throughout the playoffs more than qualifies him for a new contract.  If we lose him along with Irving and Horford you are facing the problems associated with replacing 3 starters.  Don't expect any home town discount.  Morris has been under-paid for years and as an UFA I look for him to sign elsewhere. Unlike Al Horford, Marcus Morris outplayed his contract.

The decisions that the Celtics have to make could stabilize the team moving forward or they could spin this team into a downward spiral towards  mediocrity.    The Celtics in my opinion did not address the impact of potentially losing 3 starters after drafting 4 players.  Danny may use one or more of them in a trade which seems like a possibility but the value of picks before they are drafted tends to be higher.

The ongoing need to get better in the front line has not been addressed since Brad Steven began coaching this team.  As of today it has gone from being inadequate to something much worse and now the team also finds itself without a starting quality PG.  It took a collection of many drafts, trades and FA acquisitions to make this team competitive over a 5 year project and yet in the blink of an eyelash we have returned way too close to ground zero.  Danny does not have the same wiggle room when it comes to being a Tax payer team.  The ownership group is willing to pay the luxury tax for a team that has a real change to win.  They are not going to pay a tax on a team that is not good enough to win the EC let alone an NBA title.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

The Big Three  Empty Re: The Big Three

Post by worcester Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 pm

The glass is half full. Let's wait 10 days to see how this turns out before losing our minds.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 am

Without getting into the whole long thing, I'm all for retaining Rozier. I believe he is, as he thinks he is, a starting point guard in the NBA. I think what we saw from him two seasons back, and when he started this year, is all the evidence needed. An All-Star? Maybe not. But close enough when on the court with Tatum, Smart and Brown.

So I'm for doing what is needed, within reason, to keep Rozier around. Rozier, one of the huge pack of experienced NBA point guards wandering around (not necessarily Wanamaker), and the two draft picks. That should be all that's needed for camp. Edwards does have the potential to earn minutes early, given the need for scoring. No need to focus on anything other than PF/C. That is where Boston needs to spend it's time, and money.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:20 am

I too have been saying signing Rozier should be the first priority. However, that was before Horford decided to move on to a new address.

when I look at where our roster stands right now, I would say trying to retain Morris is actually a higher priority.

I say that because we need TWO big men and while Morris is not an elite level PF, he is a legit NBA starter. We have Brown, Smart, Langford and the two second round picks along with possibly retaining Wannamaker for a cheap deal, at guard.

IF I was giving out a contract in the $10M plus range to one of MOrris or Rozier, it would be Morris now.

Also, typically PG's get less money in free agency than any other position in recent years. That means Ainge should be able to get a FA PG at a lesser cost then a a second big man.

as an example:

if we renounce all but the first round picks, Morris , Wannamaker and Theis we will have about $22M in cap space. Thus would assume we have hand shake deals with Morris, Theis and Wannamker on new contracts.

now Ainge can use all the $22M on Free agents, with a Projected roster of:

Bigs

Morris
Theis
Rob W.
Grant W.
Yabusele

Wings:

Tatum
Brown
Semi
Langford

Ball handlers:

Smart
Wannamaker
Edwards ?
Waters

so with this roster we need one starting Big and a BU point ( at a minimum)

IMO, it will be easier to spend the $22M cap space on a big either in FA or a trade , then use the $4.7M MLE on a BU point guard,

Ainge would also have the Bi-annual exception at $3.6M to sing an additional vet player as well.

PG's can be had cheaper than big men in the NBA today , as long as they are not elite players.

with that all said , here are a couple ideas on potential ways to go in the coming weeks:

1) we sign
C- D. Dedmon- $8M
PG- R. Rubio- $14M
C- M. Muscala- MLE

not gonna bring cheers to many, but all the players fit into what Stevens does and should fit the cap rules too.

2)
C- N. Vucievic-$22M ( I really think he's staying at Orlando, who can offer him more money)
PG- I. Thomas- MLE
PG- J. Grant- BIE

While Vucevic is likely one of the top big men who could be available (along with a trade for S. Adams), i do feel he'll end up back at Orlando, who can pay him more.

that is two quick options for what different types off moves could look like, IMO. there are of course many different options and combinations of players that could fit in our cap space and exceptions.

these are just examples that I feel supports why I think we can get more bang for the buck by keeping Morris over Rozier (assuming the dollars to keep each is similar).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 am

kdp,

I think Morris is gone.  He is not going to accept $10M, he is a starter and should get more than Marcus Smart money.  This may be the last time he can get well paid and since we are not contenders, the incentive to sign here for less is gone.

Also, as you say, he is not a real PF, not in big lineups.  Morris is a small ball PF.  We have Tatum for that (like it or not) and the Williams rookie is also a small ball PF. We also have Semi O as a small ball PF off the bench.

Ainge will want the largest amount of cap space that he can get.  That way he can go all in on a big or split it and get either two bigs or big and a PG.

That is my guess.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am

Mine too Gyso.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 am

I'll say this once and then drop it.  Ainge had a little talk about the rookies and why he picked them.  My takeaway was that when he spoke about drafting young players who would accept whatever role that they were given, he was looking right at Rozier.

I do not expect Rozier to be back.  Ainge will try to sign and trade him or just let him walk for cap space. All it will take for Ainge to renounce Rozier (and Morris) is a quality big free agent that accepts the Boston offer.

That is my guess.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:24 am

I don’t think he was necessarily referring to Rozier. He’s always been very high on him and it was a difficult situation for Rozier this season.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:30 am

Danny knows we need a big and a pg. How Terry fits into his computing is indeterminant at this time.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:45 am

Just a note here:

I wasn't saying Morris (or Rozier) would take a deal for $10M.j ust that is thier cap holds now.

I would agree that I feel Morris may have been close to Irving and may want to move on with He and Horford.

I guess my main point was, that IF Morris leaves we need TWO staring big men not just one.

IF Rozier leaves we need at LEAST a quality back up PG also.

$32M in cap space should be enough, if everyone expect Theis and Wannamaker are renounced. As long as we don;t shoot it all on one player.

IMO, the MLE (even at only $4.7M) should be enough for capable back UP Point.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 am

Morris can thank Brad Stevens and the Celtics for giving him a perfect role where he could excel as a small ball stretch 4 and display those skills for the league to see.

The bidding will start at at least $15 million.  IF Evan Turner and KO can got $15 million per I am fairly confident that Morris will get a big pay raise.

As far as Rozier is concerned, I would be very surprised if the Celtics were to lose both Irving and Rozier to free agency.  I still believe that Danny held on to Rozier as insurance in the event that Kyrie got injured or he left in free agency.

Does anyone out there believe that Danny is prepared to lose Irving, Horford, Morris, Rozier and Baynes?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 pm

kdp59

$32 million is simply not enough to find adequate replacements for Horford, Irving, Morris, Rozier and Baynes. 

If we stay under the luxury tax we can use the full MLE so I consider that as enough to get someone.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:17 pm

dboss wrote:Morris can thank Brad Stevens and the Celtics for giving him a perfect role where he could excel as a small ball stretch 4 and display those skills for the league to see.

The bidding will start at at least $15 million.  IF Evan Turner and KO can got $15 million per I am fairly confident that Morris will get a big pay raise.

As far as Rozier is concerned, I would be very surprised if the Celtics were to lose both Irving and Rozier to free agency.  I still believe that Danny held on to Rozier as insurance in the event that Kyrie got injured or he left in free agency.

Does anyone out there believe that Danny is prepared to lose Irving, Horford, Morris, Rozier and Baynes?
I am, it’s been proven Rozier is a good rebounder, but cannot run the point, no vision. I’d rather roll with Smart, Hayward, and the 2 rooks at the point, excited to see what they can do....

By the way read that Tremont Waters lead the SEC in assists and steals, has a reputation as a defensive force.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 pm

dboss wrote:
Yes. But only if Rozier gets a big offer that he would be too much to match.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 pm

I am with you Cow. Use Terry's $$ for a big.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Without actually counting, it looks like about an even split on the opinion of Rozier stays or goes.

Going to be interesting to see who comes out with the correct guess.

I do think the two PGs drafted were more than just long-shots. I think at least Edwards will stick. You don't use two of your four picks on PGs otherwise.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Good Sherlock Holmes reasoning NYCelt.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm

I root for the little guys too....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:26 pm

I used to love watching the defensive tenacity of Mugsy Bouges.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:58 pm

dboss wrote:kdp59

$32 million is simply not enough to find adequate replacements for Horford, Irving, Morris, Rozier and Baynes. 

If we stay under the luxury tax we can use the full MLE so I consider that as enough to get someone.

once we go below the cap. I think the MLE is only $4.7M the first year of the deal.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/02/early-mid-level-bi-annual-projections-for-201920.html

gyso can possible clear that up, if I misunderstand this.

The standard mid-level exception is available to over-the-cap teams that haven’t dipped below the cap to use room and don’t go over the tax apron at all. It can run for up to four years, with 5% annual raises.

The taxpayer mid-level exception is for in-the-tax teams, or teams that want the flexibility to surpass the tax apron later. It can run for up to three years, with 5% annual raises.

The room exception is for teams that go under the cap and use their space. Once they’ve used all their cap room, they can use this version of the mid-level exception, which runs for up to two years with 5% annual raises.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:01 pm

also, I was saying $32M and the MLE should be enough to bring in 3 players
two bigs and a PG. not 5 players, we just drafted two in the first (for good or bad).

as to what Morris will get I may be wrong that under $15 is likely. I would note Turner signed that inflated deal the year the cap rose very high with the new TV money. it was a one year explosion
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:25 pm

dboss wrote:

Yes. 3 out of 5 are already gone. Irving, Horford and Baynes.

The other two will be gone for various reasons, but both will need to go in order to free up salary cap space.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:29 pm

With Marcus Smart and Gordon on the floor together, do we need a PG?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 pm

worcester wrote:With Marcus Smart and Gordon on the floor together, do we need a PG?
No. But we could put one out there, especially if they can defend and shoot

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:37 pm

So why tie up $15M with Terry when we really need bigs?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum