Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston

+5
bobheckler
kdp59
cowens/oldschool
Berlin-T
9 posters

Go down

Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston Empty Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston

NESN by Chris Grenham on Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 6:52PM

Robert Williams had a limited role in Boston during his rookie season, but that’s likely going to change. Time Lord, as he’s affectionately called by the Celtics Twitter community, averaged 2.5 points and 2.5 rebounds in 32 games last season. But with the departures of both Al Horford and Aron Baynes, the 21-year-old should have plenty more opportunities to take the floor.

Before he can take the parquet, Williams will head to Las Vegas with Boston’s summer league squad in a scenario where he knows he can prove himself. “Starving, man,” Williams told reporters when asked how hungry he is going into his second season, per CLNS Media. “I’m trying to get out here and play. I’m trying to showcase. Everybody’s trying to showcase, man. There’s a chip on your shoulder, always. Especially, not being able to play that much in Summer League last year, not being able to prove myself like I wanted. It’s another opportunity going in as a second-year player. Just got to keep that mentality.”

Williams’ first summer league experience was short-lived after the Texas A&M product was shut down after about two minutes of action due to a knee issue last July. One year later, Williams is excited to get back out there. “Just prove myself and actually be able to play over a period of time,” Williams said. “I think last year I played like two minutes. Getting out there, getting to know these guys, getting to know my teammates and just getting back into the rhythm of playing and having fun out there.”

Boston’s summer league head coach Scott Morrison told reporters Monday that he’s happy with Williams progress and looking forward to what he can do in Vegas next week. “Knock on wood, so far so good,” Morrison said, per MassLive. “He’s played every practice. I’ve been real happy with him. He’s showed some toughness, showed some leadership, being one of only the only two returning Celtics players that we have on the roster here. Hopefully, he hangs in there and can really show well for himself in Vegas because he’s put in a good three, four weeks here.” Williams joins Guerschon Yabusele as the only two players on the team who have competed in any prior summer league action. Boston released its full summer league roster on Monday ahead of the four-game slate beginning on July 6.

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston Empty Re: Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston

Post by Berlin-T Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 am

Better learn your defensive assignments, young man!

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston Empty Re: Celtics’ Robert Williams ‘Starving’ For Chance To Prove Himself In Boston

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am

Hope he can hit a midrange shot

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:54 am

Yabusele?

jesus, I thought summer league was for rooks and first year guys with a few players from overseas who will never play in the NBA.

why Yabusele?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:22 am

kdp59 wrote:Yabusele?

jesus, I thought summer league was for rooks and first year guys  with a few  players from overseas who will never play in the NBA.

why Yabusele?

Kdp,

I believe players up to 3 years experience are eligible.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:03 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Hope he can hit a midrange shot
Williams’ shot is one of the main items I’m looking at for the summer league. Supposedly they spent the last year rebuilding his shot. I only recall in the last season one jump shot, toward the end of the season, baseline, went in cleanly. I’m hoping he takes more in the summer. This is a great opportunity for him to do that.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 am

kdp59 wrote:Yabusele?

jesus, I thought summer league was for rooks and first year guys  with a few  players from overseas who will never play in the NBA.

why Yabusele?

Kid is 23 - why not?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 pm

The door is open for RW to step through.  He is still a 21 year old project but getting consistent playing time should help his development immensely.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:21 pm

He looks like the banger and defender we need down low.

In his limited time last year, I saw nothing but positives.

The one thing most noticed was that he was a little slow on changes at the defensive end. He'll improve there with playing time. That's the only cure for that ailment. Practice sessions aren't enough.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:39 pm

NYCelt

I watched a highlight film on RW from last year.  I think he gives us the high flying rim protection and alleyopp option that we can use.  I also think he can improve his shooting but Boston has to put  in pick and pop situations for him to get comfortable in the midrange game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppN6RDsHXNM
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:44 pm

I am still amazed as how quick he gets off his feet
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 pm

If you are looking for ideal specimens for certain positions, we can agree Jaylen Brown has the ideal attributes for a 6’7” wing. Robert Williams has those same attributes for a 6’10” center with sick hops and arm length, now can he stay healthy and develop the skills? I think Danny learned something drafting my worst nightmare Kelly O, was painful watching him constantly getting pummeled like a rag doll all those years, was I dreaming, it was a nightmare....??? so if Danny was gonna make an error, it would be on an uber athlete that just couldn’t develop the ideal/necessary skills, rather than a player with just skills that could be limited because of his lack of athleticism/strength, he learned his lesson and that’s the way I would prefer to go too. Which is why I didn’t want Tyler Hero. Boy if Rob Williams ever puts it all together....scary

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down