Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game

+3
dboss
wideclyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game Empty Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:49 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/07/scouting-grant-williams-how-the-boston-celtics-rookie-forward-fared-in-his-first-summer-league-game.html

Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game

Posted Jul 6, 10:42 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

LAS VEGAS -- Until today, most of what we heard about Grant Williams the Boston Celtic has been about his goofy, gregarious nature.

That’s fun and all, but the Celtics didn’t draft him to be the locker room cut up. They are paying him to be a versatile forward and part of the team’s next generation of talent that might someday raise a banner. The goofy stuff is just a fun bonus.

Saturday evening in Las Vegas, Williams finally got to show off some of what he can do at the next level.

Of course, this all comes with a huge caveat: This is one summer league game. There are some good results that come from things that may not translate in October, so what we’re looking for is the sign of things that will help Williams at the next level.

Playing under control

https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1147622793321820160ax Carlin
@maxacarlin
This is going to be fun

11:46 PM - Jul 6, 2019

This play from Williams is impressive, even though some of it might not happen at the NBA level, most notably someone falling for the upfake.

Forget that for a minute. What we have here, most notably, is a player under control. He’s not trying to be something he’s not. This is terrible defense, but there is still a rim defender to contend with. Williams calmly gets himself to an open spot and floats a shot over the defender.

Will the defense he faces in the NBA be better than this? Of course. That doesn’t matter. What matters here is that Williams was in total control of himself the whole time, and that was a theme for him throughout the game.

If he got a rebound, he either found an outlet or took a dribble or two to push the ball until he found a guard. He patiently tried to make the right play. It never felt like he was uncomfortable with what he was doing.

Shooting

Offensively they put Williams on the perimeter and he spent a lot of time waiting for kick-outs.

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1147641259487449088

Boston Celtics
✔
@celtics
GW👌

12:59 AM - Jul 7, 2019

Williams hit two of his four 3-point attempts. His ability to shoot from deep was one of the question marks, but they looked pretty good in this game. Again, he calmly took each 3 without rushing or worrying about the close out. He seemed to be aware of the time he had to release the shot and unbothered by the possibility of it being blocked.

“They encouraged me to shoot it and I was like ‘wow that’s kind of different,'" he said after the game. "Normally I’m the one that’s catching the ball with his back to the basket, so it was really nice to be able to play a different way.”

Scott Morrison said “Coach Stevens and myself and the other coaches are really encouraging him to let it go when he’s open, to be a spacer and to really develop that spot-up three, and he did a good job tonight a couple times shot-faking when the closeout was coming a little too hard and I know he got fouled one time. He did a good job with that, but also he made his presence felt on the glass.”

Communication

Williams was constantly talking on defense, letting his guards know what was coming and what pick-and-roll defense to play. He was also very vocal on the bench and often the first one onto the floor during timeouts to say something encouraging to his teammates.

Two things about this: First, people don’t always talk on defense, and that leads to breakdowns. The best defenders are great communicators. Even if he screwed up some of the coverages, he’s trying and talking. He’ll learn as he goes, but the talking is important.

Secondly, he’s bringing energy to the floor. Pumping up teammates and being vocal puts out a level of energy that people around him will tend to match. This is an intangible that is very important to a team no matter what role he ultimately plays.

Defense

Every time a shot went up, Williams turned and looked to see if there was someone to box out. He didn’t just turn and look, which is a bad habit in the NBA. He ended up with six rebounds in almost 20 minutes of play.

He was very willing to throw his body around, though sometimes he might have gotten a little too overzealous.

https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1147623905366032384

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
This is what happens when GRANT tags the roll man

11:50 PM - Jul 6, 2019

Maybe he took the tagging part of tagging the roll man a little too far. It’s pretty funny, but that’s not going to be allowed in the NBA.

“Yeah. It was kind of weird, I knocked like five guys onto the ground today,” Williams said. "Normally it doesn’t really happen, but with the spacing of the court you have to be able to tag and get back to your man. So I didn’t realize you had to hit guys pretty hard to get back.”

It’s easier to dial it back than it is to pull that aggression out of a player, so there’s that. He was in the right spot, which is good. The goal there is to just impede the progress so there’s no easy alley-oop and then get back to your man on the perimeter.

I guess flattening a guy is one way to stop an alley oop.

Out on the perimeter, the positives were that he did a decent job moving laterally and trying to keep a guy in front of him. He didn’t always succeed, and that will be something to watch for as the competition improves, but he was sliding his feet rather than turning and running. From there he can learn how to take better angles and guide guys away from the basket.

Obviously the first step is staying in front of a player, but if Williams switches onto guards, he’ll need to learn how to keep those angles and discourage a drive. All he needs to be is good enough to not allow blow-by’s.

He did a good job of getting around picks, or at least trying to. Again, he wasn’t always successful, but he didn’t stick to picks. At least he was trying to make the right play. With time and repetition, he’ll learn how to better navigate the screens. Having better defenders around him will also help because they’ll know when to switch.

There were a few times where Williams was too deep on the help side but it didn’t really hurt the team. That’s something that will need to be addressed because NBA teams will torch him there. That will either lead to open 3′s or dunk when he closes out too hard and gets burned on a drive.

All in all, this was a very solid performance by Williams. He didn’t do any one thing particularly great, but he did a lot of things pretty well. He played smart, controlled basketball and tried to make the right play, which is more than a lot players can say in summer league. The things he does well will help him in the long run. He puts himself in positions to succeed and help his team.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game Empty Re: Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game

Post by wideclyde Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Tough to judge a guy off one summer game, but he looked pretty good. I liked his smoothness of shot on his three pointers as this was supposed to be his biggest weakness.

Might already be better than Yabusele?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game Empty Re: Scouting Grant Williams: How the Boston Celtics rookie forward fared in his first summer league game

Post by dboss Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Been trying to think of who he reminds me of and then it came to me...Ryan Gomes
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:37 pm

Yabusele still looks lost. I hope William's is better than Gomes, but I see what you mean, boss. I thought, btw, that Tacko looked like he might have some value in short bursts
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Grant Williams is very vocal on defense and as a player reminds me of Clarence Weatherspoon.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Foot see stats

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gomesry01.html

Williams looks a step quicker but they have very similar profiles.  

Surprised that Yabusele was so below average.  Interested to see how he plays the next few games.

Tacko is an intriguing prospect.  He does have skills and it is impossible to ignore him on the cout.  I do agree that at some point he may be able to give us some short minutes at center.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Gomes better than I remembered, boss. Had a longer career, too
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Could be a PJ Tucker type given a few years in a professional level nutrition and conditioning program. Has a nice feel for the game and lots of potential. Great pick.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:37 pm

TBD
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 pm

I was thinking he reminded me of Gomes as well. He takes up more space and a lot more physical. I like the pick. He is a pretty smart player. I wish we would send the players that aren't going to be around home and let the guys that have a chance get more minutes. I like Fall a lot. I would like him and Williams both make the roster and maybe Fall could push Williams for minutes and create some competition. I like our young guys and we haven't seen our first pick.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down