Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot

5 posters

Go down

Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot Empty Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:09 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/free-agents-celtics-could-consider-15th-roster-spot?int#slide-1

Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot

By A. Sherrod Blakely

BOSTON -- With one roster spot left unfulfilled, much of the talk surrounding the Boston Celtics has centered around 7-foot-7 sensation Tacko Fall. And while all of the top-tier free agents are off the board, the cupboard for talent isn’t totally bare, right?

Boston has positioned itself to where there’s likely to be an intense battle in training camp in the fight for the 15th roster spot. But if the Celtics decide to instead sign another veteran player, there are some intriguing choices still on the market. Now keep in mind that whoever the Celtics bring into the fold at this point -- whether it’s a free agent or everyone’s favorite Exhibit 10 talent (and mine too) Tacko Fall -- it’ll be a player with limited expectations.

While the 15th roster spot is still most likely to be filled by someone emerging out of training camp among the two-way contract guys, those with partial guarantees and free agents, Boston can’t be totally ruled out as a potential player when it comes to scooping up a serviceable free agent. Here’s a look at five players the Celtics might consider if they decide to fill the last roster spot with a more seasoned (and cheaper) player who is currently a free agent.

Jonas Jerebko

The 32-year-old veteran spent two-plus seasons with the Boston Celtics (2015-2017) so there’s a level of familiarity with his game and how it fits with Brad Stevens’ system. And at 6-foot-10 and a decent 3-point shot, he can potentially be a player the Celtics turn to as a stretch big. In his first full season with the Celtics, Jerebko shot 39.8 percent from 3-point range and he's a career 36.3 percent long range shooter.

JR Smith

The idea of JR Smith in a Celtics uni does have the feel of a cringe-worthy moment, but there’s no getting around the fact that when he gets it going offensively there’s very little anyone can do to cool him off. Those days have been fewer and farther between lately. And there’s no telling how willing he would be to have a significantly reduced role from what he has become accustomed to. Again, when you’re looking at the 15th and final roster spot, all options need to be given some level of consideration -- yes, even JR Smith.

Thabo Sefolosha

His defensive versatility has been his calling card for as long as he has been in the NBA. But that’s part of the problem… the 35-year-old Sefolosha has been in the NBA for A LONG TIME! While he doesn’t defend at an all-NBA level anymore, he would be a quality addition to the Celtics bench to help fortify their second unit as a viable option if an injury limits or shuts down one of their core wing players.

Ryan Anderson

Having already earned more than $103 million in 11 NBA seasons, it would be understandable if Anderson decided to call it a career after the Miami Heat waived him via the stretch provision to facilitate the Jimmy Butler sign-and-trade with Philly. Boston will have its issues defensively, which means success has to come by way of out-shooting teams. That’s the one thing Ryan Anderson has been good at most of his career, evident by him shooting at least 37 percent from 3-point range in seven of his 11 NBA seasons. The problem? That’s basically the only thing Anderson has been consistently good at during his career and that one strength wasn’t quite as strong as we’ve seen previously with Anderson connecting on a career-worst 22.5 percent from 3-point range last season as he split time between Phoenix and Miami.

Kenneth Faried

While it is great that the Celtics filled up the free agency grocery cart with bigs, adding Kenneth Faried would be the ultimate bargain basement steal. Faried is just the kind of high-energy, rebounding force Boston needs on that second unit. He’s undersized at 6-foot-8 but as we have seen from the “Manimal,” size doesn’t matter when you play with the kind of non-stop effort he brings to the game. The guy has been a double-double per 36 minutes every year since coming into the NBA in 2012. He’s even worked on adding a 3-point shot to his offensive game, connecting on 32 percent of his 3’s while splitting time last season between Brooklyn and Houston. And the longer he stays on the market, the more likely he’ll sign with a team and outperform his contract, which is such a Danny Ainge-like addition for the 15th and final roster spot.

bob
MY NOTE:  First, let's understand that if any free agent gets signed that will mean that Tacko is gone.  He will be released from his Exhibit 10 contract after he is cut from camp/pre-season, because there will not be any roster spots available for him, and will not clear waivers before someone picks him up.  This assumes that Trader Danny doesn't pull off a 2-for-1 trade that creates and additional roster opening.  The rumor mill is saying that Danny isn't done, so this is a distinct possibility.

1.  Jonas Jerebko - ok, this one makes sense.  He is a good, long, mobile defender that can play 4, and we could use a 4.  He also knows Brad's system and Brad knows him and that has value too.

2.  JR Smith - a truly boneheaded idea of picking up a boneheaded player.  Dumber than a bag of hammers.  He's a career 37.5% 3pt shooter, which is about the league average.  So, what's so great about him?  No.  Not even "no thanks", just plain N.O.

3.  Thabo Sefelosha - A very good defender, nice size for a guard (6'7", 220#).  He'd make a good back up for Jaylen EXCEPT that Jaylen is already probably coming off the bench behind Hayward (or vice versa) so how much depth do we need there?

4.  Ryan Anderson - he was a good 3pt shooter, maybe not anymore.  Furthermore, he's a Jeff Green kind of rebounder (weak for his size) and not a particularly good defender.  He can spread the floor, which might be helpful considering how our bigs are all extremely paint-centric.  Do we need another 3, because that's the position Anderson plays despite being much bigger than your average 3?  But Danny has liked him for a while and we know how Danny is once he decides he likes a player.  

5.  Kenneth Faried - What I said about Jonas and needing a 4 is true for The Manimal too.  I don't know how much Faried has left, I am frankly amazed he isn't more in demand.  I know the game has moved to the perimeter, and he has no offense that isn't pure clean up around the rim, but damn!  He has as high a motor as anybody his size.  It is hard to keep him off the boards and he defends like a madman.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot Empty Re: Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot

Post by gyso Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:38 am

None of these guys move the needle for me.  I'd rather use (or waste, as the case may be) the 15th spot on Tacko.

If I had to pick one of these, it would be Jerebko.

Last edited by gyso on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I had typed 5th spot, I meant to type 15th spot.)

Back to top Go down

Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot Empty Re: Free agents the Celtics could consider for 15th roster spot

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:58 am

Supposedly Ryan Anderson has lost multiple steps due to his injuries.
It's doubtful he plays another game in the NBA.
He will have to get a membership to LA Fitness soon to play pick up games...

I really like Faried a lot, but not on Boston.
I think Faried would be way more worthy of a roster spot over Wanamaker.
But, Boston can't have 5 guys on the team with no significant outside shot.
Kanter, Poirer, Williams, Fall and Faried.
Jerebko would probably be the best fit.
With Walker, Smart and Edwards capable of playing pg, in my opinion, Wanamaker's roster spot is being wasted.
I would not be surprised if he is waived at the end of training camp.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:32 am

I brought up Faried a eek ago I think, I think I said adding him and dumping Yabusele made sense to me.

We did dump Yabusele at least.

Faried would get a lot of minutes here, IMO. Likely playing when Kanter is on the bench (not necessarily at the five though). But I don't think Ainge is looking at adding any vets here.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:39 am

Faried is a rebounder and defender but not much on offense. He is 6' 8"

My head might explode if we add another 6' 8" guy.

The other names mention do not excite me.

I am drawn by the intriguing prospect of Tacko Fall. I think Boston should slide him into the #15 spot. Send him up to Maine so that he can work on sousome skills. Bring him back when the inevitable injury bug opens an opportunity.

Tacko Fall belongs on the Celtics.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down