Bol Verses Tacko or Vice Versa

3 posters

Go down

Bol Verses Tacko or Vice Versa Empty Bol Verses Tacko or Vice Versa

Post by pete Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:34 pm

I'm trying to remember Manut's first year and and I can't. Seems like he just stood tall and used what he had throughout his career. I am in  know way trying to knock him, just can't remember the history with him. I will say that Tacko seems to have more mobility than my memory of Manute which is significant, and based on height, small steps can be huge in the long run. The only former NBA player to compare him to is Manute although some may remember Mark Eaton, tall and very strong, cannot compare. I also remember a very tall Pistons player, David Nevitte, 7'2 or so and I cannot remember ever seeing him play.

Does anyway here have a clearer memory of Manute's first few years??

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Bol Verses Tacko or Vice Versa Empty Re: Bol Verses Tacko or Vice Versa

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 pm

pete wrote:I'm trying to remember Manut's first year and and I can't. Seems like he just stood tall and used what he had throughout his career. I am in  know way trying to knock him, just can't remember the history with him. I will say that Tacko seems to have more mobility than my memory of Manute which is significant, and based on height, small steps can be huge in the long run. The only former NBA player to compare him to is Manute although some may remember Mark Eaton, tall and very strong, cannot compare. I also remember a very tall Pistons player, David Nevitte, 7'2 or so and I cannot remember ever seeing him play.

Does anyway here have a clearer memory of Manute's first few years??

Pete

Pete,

I met Manute before he played in the NBA.
He was playing for the Rhode Island Gulls in the USBL at the time and they were playing a team in NJ.
Manute and Spud Webb played on that team in 1985.
We talked to Manute who did a sit down interview after the game.
From that point on I tried to follow his career.
Manute was similar to Tacko Fall.
Tacko is much, much more athletic than Manute was.
Manute had a bit of an outside shot which turned into a 3 point barrage at times under Don Nelson I believe.
Manute was a bit longer than Tacko and had great shot blocking instincts.
The big difference is the time Manute played vs. the game today.
Tacko would have been a no doubt 1st round pick back then.
Now, he’s a borderline 15th roster spot guy.
Tacko’s issues are on the offensive part of the game.
His pick and roll offense was virtually nonexistent in college and he played with talented guards.
His hands are not great for the size they are and his FT shooting is dismal.
He could be a force on defense like Manute was but today’s offenses might be too much for Tacko to be effective.
I still would give him a chance.
He’s worth a 15th roster spot.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:20 am

I think you're correct on Bol not being a good comp for fall.

I think he falls closer to Mark Eaton like you said or perhaps Gheorghe Mureșan.

Fall has Muresan's overall size and perhaps lack of mobility.  I agree with TJ that Fall would have been first round pick 16 years ago. Eaton and Muresan would have a hard time finding a roster spot in todays NBA as well, IMO.

Fall should definitely work on the Rick Barry free throw shooting, as that would improve his numbers to at least decent. but unless the NBA switches back to man to man defenses (maybe someone can explain why the current constant switching defenses are better), Fall will never be anything more than an end of the bench dinosaur.

OH...I forgot about Boban.....I guess he is the ceiling of what Fall can be in todays NBA.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks for chiming in guys, looks like my memories are about the same. However, I never thought about the value of him years ago verses now.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down