Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert

2 posters

Go down

Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert Empty Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:20 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-center-vincent-poirier-working-231707713.html

Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert

Michael DePrisco
NBC Sports Boston

August 10, 2019, 11:17 PM UTC

As one of the Celtics' newest centers, Vincent Poirier, prepares for his first season on an NBA roster, he has picked a good partner to work out with in Jazz center Rudy Gobert.

A.K
@Kungu_NBA
New Boston Celtics center Vincent Poirier is working out with Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert.

https://twitter.com/Kungu_NBA/status/1160321434754920448
3:46 PM - Aug 10, 2019 · Lester, PA

Both Poirier and Gobert are from France, so it's likely they got to know each other at some point during their playing days overseas.

Poirier projects as a physical defensive presence in the Celtics defense with an ability to finish at the rim in pick and rolls and offensive rebounding situations. Gobert, as a multiple-time Defensive Player of the Year award winner, should be able to give the Boston rookie a few pointers.

The Celtics have serious holes to fill on defense with Al Horford and Aron Baynes on different teams next season. If Poirier can earn consistent minutes and provide paint protection, it will go a long way in the Celtics' efforts to salvage their elite defense from the last two seasons.

bob
MY NOTE: Gobert and Poirier just played together on the French National Team.  Working out with Rudy certainly cannot hurt Poirier's assimilation into the NBA and its defenses.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert Empty Re: Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:39 am

Hi BobH, back on American soil? How long was your trip this year? Keep going, it is when you stop that everything falls apart!!!!

Looking forward to this year, As Brad says "I turned the corner and left last year behind me" Best thinking that way, not worth wasting a space in my brain thinking about all that happened!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert Empty Re: Celtics center Vincent Poirier working out with Jazz' Rudy Gobert

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:39 am

Hi BobH, back on American soil? How long was your trip this year? Keep going, it is when you stop that everything falls apart!!!!

Looking forward to this year, As Brad says "I turned the corner and left last year behind me" Best thinking that way, not worth wasting a space in my brain thinking about all that happened!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:08 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Hi BobH, back on American soil?  How long was your trip this year?  Keep going, it is when you stop that everything falls apart!!!!  

Rosalie

Hi Rosalie,

Yep, back in the USA, land of the Big PX.  This was a trip to Israel, Jordan and Egypt.  All nice people, good times.  A lot of people are afraid of that part of the world. I can tell you it's safe. I would say that even if, by comparison, we hadn't had 3 mass murders in one week here. Something happens over there and it's in every media outlet. You have to go back to the early 2000's to find a mass murder in Israel as lethal as the El Paso one. I can tell you, as someone who travels fairly extensively and broadly, others do not understand.

Tel Aviv is a great city.  When I travel I fly into cities but usually leave them quickly and get out into the countryside.  Not Tel Aviv.  Population about 450K, very nice, a European feel.  Lots of fun, great restaurants, right there on the Mediterranean.  In fact, the US Consulate (formerly the embassy until POTUS Trump moved it to Jerusalem) is right there on the beach.  Jerusalem is the opposite.  If Tel Aviv is young and vibrant and fun Jerusalem is somber.  It's almost like being flippant there is perceived as an insult to God.  Nice to visit for the history, of course, but not much fun to hang in.

The Jordanian people are real sweethearts.  Genuinely nice people.  I would have to put them up near the top of the nicest people I have been among in my travels. Petra and Wadi Rum were what I thought they'd be.  Aqaba is a town on the Gulf of Aqaba, walking distance (walking through a border crossing, of course!) from Israeli Eilat.

Egypt is filled with that history.  To be a licensed tour guide in Egypt you need a Masters Degree in Egyptology.  Seriously.  Egypt offers free public education as far as you want to go, so if you want to be a tour guide and can pass the courses, the government will pay for your education all the way through.  Scuba dived in Sharm el Sheikh (a lot like an Egyptian Atlantic City.  Not my cup of tea but Red Sea diving is the best).  Cairo traffic is the worst.  I've driven in Rome and thought that was the worst but there's a new "winner".  Traffic lanes mean nothing, not even taken as suggestions.

You are always asked where you're from. Unless they are being jerks and I'm about to tell them off I tell them I'm an American (if I'm going to tell them off I tell them I'm Australian or Canadian or something else. Sorry you folks). Everybody was very cool with me being an American. The Israelis love Americans, of course, but the Jordanians see America as a long-time friend and Egyptians were cool with all that too (the Egyptians just see $ everywhere, but especially with Americans. Jordanians are just plain nice).

Anyway, glad to be back.  That's how it usually works with me.  I hear the wild geese calling me, and then I come back and live a very sedate life getting back into my routines, and then the geese start honking again.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Sounds awesome, I enjoy hearing about your travels. Mine are here in the East mostly, fear of being too far away from all my doctors. Am working up to go away next year, Ireland. Been there once, but we would like to go back. Bill is Irish, if I could I would go to Italy, but that is a big trip for me. Next year is the big 50 for Bill and I, we have known each other for almost 60 years. So we hope to be up for a trip.

Schedule came out today, and I am going to get tickets for the early part of the season, and then wait for my Christmas present!!! prices getting ridiculous but you only live once.

Glad you are back and had such a great time. Take care

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down