dboss

Back to top Go down

USA Team vs.  Spain Empty Re: USA Team vs. Spain

Post by bobc33 Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks for the alert dboss!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:30 pm

With 4 of our guys playing = must watch.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am

Here is the box score from last night's game

https://www.usab.com/usavesp2019

What stood out to me was that Spain just looked like a bigger team at the start.  That team has been playing together for a long time.  That experience however was not enough because the USA team is filled with athletes that were too fast for the Spaniards.

They are heading to Australia and will play 3 tune up games.  The roster is currently at 14 and must be cut down to 12 48 hours before they begin their FIBA games.

Walker, Tatum and Brown look like safe bets to make the final cut but Smart has not played as he is recovering from a calf injury.  I also think Joe Harris, Derrick White, Harrison Barnes and Mason Plumlee are on the on the bubble along with Kuzma. 

Plumlee probably sticks as a 3rd center behind Turner and Lopez.  The USA team needs depth at center.

Joe Harris is a pure 3 point shooter but is not nearly as good defensively and struggled trying to get his shot off.  White played for Pop and the Spurs so maybe he has an inside track but he did not look good running the offense while turning the ball over 3 times in limited action.  Barnes likely competes with Kuzma for a spot on the roster.  Barnes shoots the ball better than Kuzma.  Neither are lock down defenders.  

USA still has the 3 games down under before they have to make a final decision.  Pop is looking for unselfish players who can also defend.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:17 am

For those of you who missed it like me:
Go to you tube and type
"usa spain 2019" for the highlights of the game.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Jaylen was very efficient.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:04 pm

De'Aaron Fox to withdraw from team USA.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:44 pm

He is all they kept talking about last night, I am surprised. They had put him on the better of the two teams. This surprises me. I think the timing of these games especially the FIBA games is working against the USA. They will work all summer, play their games, and end up having to report for pre season shortly after. Fox has gained the praises of everyone who watches him.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Rosalie

The timing is curious.

Guys need to be in training  come Sept 1st but the schedule pushes right into that pre season training period.  

Fox was a key at PG and his departure hurts the team.  The advantage for the Celtics is built around having 4 guys on the team that would give them a chance to play together and develop chemistry with KW.

I think the opportunity remains significant.  Being coached by Pop is the real deal.

The current climate indicates a more focused emphasis on getting ready to play for your team and much less emphasis on USA basketball.  The novelty has worn off.

All of the best players have withdrawn.  

USA basketball must move back to prior days where amature players were the only option for building a team.

USA has no incentive to prove we are the best in the world.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:30 pm

With Fox out, perhaps that opens up a spot for Smart.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:11 pm

gyso wrote:With Fox out, perhaps that opens up a spot for Smart.  

Gyso,

I'd be willing to bet this makes it a lead pipe cinch.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 pm

I have to agree that Smart who can run the offense is the likely replacement for Fox.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:07 pm

dboss wrote:Rosalie

The timing is curious.

Guys need to be in training  come Sept 1st but the schedule pushes right into that pre season training period.  

Fox was a key at PG and his departure hurts the team.  The advantage for the Celtics is built around having 4 guys on the team that would give them a chance to play together and develop chemistry with KW.

I think the opportunity remains significant.  Being coached by Pop is the real deal.

The current climate indicates a more focused emphasis on getting ready to play for your team and much less emphasis on USA basketball.  The novelty has worn off.

USA basketball must move back to prior days where amature players were the only option for building a team.

The general consensus is that US players and Americans generally don’t care much about the FIBA World Cup.
It is a huge tournament to other countries, but not us.
Next summer is the Olympics.
We should have many stars playing next summer in the Olympics, which means more to us.
Players did not want the give up back to back summers for tournaments that aren’t that important.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:17 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:Rosalie

The timing is curious.

The general consensus is that US players and Americans generally don’t care much about the FIBA World Cup.
It is a huge tournament to other countries, but not us.
Next summer is the Olympics.
We should have many stars playing next summer in the Olympics, which means more to us.
Players did not want the give up back to back summers for tournaments that aren’t that important.

TJ,

Agreed.  Calling oneself a "FIBA Champion" doesn't have the same cache, nor bling, as "Gold Medal Olympian"

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Smart is nursing a calf injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:22 am

gyso wrote:Smart is nursing a calf injury.

gyso,

Marc Stein
✔
@TheSteinLine
As they prepare to leave the country today, Team USA gets one roster boost to counter the unexpected departure of De'Aaron Fox: Marcus Smart, I'm told, has been cleared to make a full return to the court from the calf injury that has sidelined him for the past week-plus

12:59 PM - Aug 17, 2019

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 am

Personally not crazy about our players going into a FIBA tourney. NBA season is too long and every athlete needs down time. With risk of injury and the added time on the court, I wish they would have skipped it.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm

NYCelt wrote:Personally not crazy about our players going into a FIBA tourney. NBA season is too long and every athlete needs down time. With risk of injury and the added time on the court, I wish they would have skipped it.
Good point, the upside is get to learn first hand from HoF coach Popovich, that can’t be a bad thing while still developing their games....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Personally not crazy about our players going into a FIBA tourney. NBA season is too long and every athlete needs down time. With risk of injury and the added time on the court, I wish they would have skipped it.
Good point, the upside is get to learn first hand from HoF coach Popovich, that can’t be a bad thing while still developing their games....

And playing together, hanging out together and other chemistry building opportunities. Our problem last year wasn't a lack of talent, it was a lack of chemistry.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:43 pm

I would not be surprised if we see more star players skip the Olympics especially those that have already been there.

I believe the chemistry issue is very important to our 4 guys. Kemba is the only older vet. JT and JB are young enough to play and not be tired come the regular season. Smart is somewhere the middle and has a history of getting nicked up.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:46 pm

I agree 100%.
The risk of injury doesn’t seem worth it to me, but some guys really want to play in this tournament.
I’m a little surprised Kemba is on the team since he’s 29 years old and he’s played all but 6 games over the last 4 seasons.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:10 pm

tjmakz wrote:

I agree 100%.
The risk of injury doesn’t seem worth it to me, but some guys really want to play in this tournament.
I’m a little surprised Kemba is on the team since he’s 29 years old and he’s played all but 6 games over the last 4 seasons.
Kemba gets a chance to bond with MS, JB and JT.

I think that is the main reason he is on the team.  However I agree that he has a lot of miles on those legs.  Coach Stevens is likely to play him less MPG
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Sorry, but can't buy the chemistry issue being worth it. Chemistry can be developed in other ways. Plenty of opportunities with the team in the off-season that don't involve the rigor of a tournament. It's just not that important to bonding IMO. Been there, seen it, done it in other ways. And I'm far from having been a pro. Faster for them, if anything, given highly developed skills.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Well, our 4 guys are in it now. Let's hope they gel and become a force all season.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down