+2
cowens/oldschool
dboss
6 posters

Go down

Team USA Beat Greece 69-53 Empty Team USA Beat Greece 69-53

Post by dboss Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:52 am

Here is the box score

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/game/0709/USA-Greece#tab=overview

USA missed a lot of 3 point shots or this one would have been a blowout.  They went 7-30 from deep for 23% and 20-66 overall for 36%

The key to this game was the defense.  The Freak led all the Greeks with 15 points and 13 rebounds.  

I sure hope Brad is watching.  Team USA played 3 guys up top and limited Giannis ability to attack.  At times you had 2 and 3 guys surrounding him. Pop played Brown at the 4 quite a bit.  Brown led the team with 9 rebounds.  He scored only 8 points but was instrumental in keeping the ball moving.  He was hitting guys all game long for wide open looks.  He would have probably had a lot of assists if not for all the misses.

Kemba scored 15 and had 6 assists and 4 rebounds.  Marcus was a plus 18 and in typical fashion he played tough defense and helped facilitate things for the team.

Pop seems to have developed a real dependency on Jaylen as he also played more minutes than anyone (27:51)  It appeared that Pop even had him playing at the 5 at times.  

TEAM USA is getting better.  The amount of ball movement has definitely increased and the defense looks more connected.

Next up Brazil who got thrashed today by the Czech Republic 93-71.  Remember all those great things I mentioned about Brazil?  I'm taking them back.  It appears that age has already caught up with them.  They have 4 guys on the team that are 35 years old or older.  They looked worn out.  No energy at all.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Team USA Beat Greece 69-53 Empty Re: Team USA Beat Greece 69-53

Post by dboss Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:58 am

I forgot to mention that after the game when the teams line up to shake each others hands,  Jaylen and Giannis got into a very heated exchange.  Pop had to come over.  Not sure what it was all about .
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks for the update dboss, will look for this game later on NBA TV. Was Jaylen covering Giannis at all during game? Guess Giannis didn’t like getting dunked on all those times....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Cow

Pop used Jaylen all over the court on defensive.  I saw him isolated one on one defending Giannis.  I do not think Giannis scored during the game when Jaylen was defending.  They gave him multiple defensive looks and really limited his opportunities to score.  It was really great team defense by Team USA  Jaylen was outstanding in those schemes.

The dust up after the game resulted from a hard fould against barnes who had stole the ball and went down the court for a two handed slam.  Giannis' s brother Thanassis,  ran him down from behind and hit him pretty hard and Barnes stumble out of bounds under the basket.  Apparently the lack of an apology irked team USA and Jaylen in particular.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Kris Middleton got his two cents in, too.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:19 pm

dboss wrote:Cow

Pop used Jaylen all over the court on defensive.  I saw him isolated one on one defending Giannis.  I do not think Giannis scored during the game when Jaylen was defending.  They gave him multiple defensive looks and really limited his opportunities to score.  It was really great team defense by Team USA  Jaylen was outstanding in those schemes.

The dust up after the game resulted from a hard fould against barnes who had stole the ball and went down the court for a two handed slam.  Giannis' s brother Thanassis,  ran him down from behind and hit him pretty hard and Barnes stumble out of bounds under the basket.  Apparently the lack of an apology irked team USA and Jaylen in particular.
That hard foul pisses me off just reading about it.

That sounds like the best way to defend Giannis, the Kawhi way with a strong wing pressing him outside and bigs coming to help when he attacks rim. Love that Jaylen could handle that role. Thanks for the update, still trying to find replay of game....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Off topic, but it took a few years/seasons for Kawhi to put his total game together. In his early years they just had him play shutdown defense. I think Jaylen has the natural talent and work ethic to become a close approximation of Kawhi....in a few years.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 pm

2019 FIBA World Cup: Tempers flare after Team USA rolls over Greece

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/2019-fiba-world-cup-tempers-flare-after-team-usa-rolls-over-greece-144927460.html

Marcus Smart definitely stands up for his team's players.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Giannis's brother started it all with a hard foul on an open dunk at the end of the game. Barnes went down hard but did not get hurt, but it was a cheap shot out of frustration. After the game, Jaylen went to Giannis and had words with him. Middleton tried separating them but Jaylen got his two cents in. Pop gathered the team at mid court until Greece left, he did not want them meeting in the tunnel, so there was no handshaking going on. Obviously, Greece thought they were going to get a win against a much smaller team. Team USA seems to be gaining strength, here is hoping that Tatum will come back soon.
I will tell you one thing, Jaylen has upped his value immensely in these games. Pop loves him.
Danny should think about an extension talk when he gets back.

This has been a good thing for the four Celtic players I think. Smart has been injured alot, but his leadership qualities have shown up.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:05 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Giannis's brother started it all with a hard foul on an open dunk at the end of the game. Barnes went down hard but did not get hurt, but it was a cheap shot out of frustration. After the game, Jaylen went to Giannis and had words with him. Middleton tried separating them but Jaylen got his two cents in.  Pop gathered the team at mid court until Greece left, he did not want them meeting in the tunnel, so there was no handshaking going on.  Obviously, Greece thought they were going to get a win against a much smaller team. Team USA seems to be gaining strength, here is hoping that Tatum will come back soon.
I will tell you one thing, Jaylen has upped his value immensely in these games. Pop loves him.
Danny should think about an extension talk when he gets back.

This has been a good thing for the four Celtic players I think. Smart has been injured alot, but his leadership qualities have shown up.  

+1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:33 pm

New Zealand did a pre-game Haka before playing Greece.  They only lost to Greece by 6 points, and Steven Adams wasn't even playing for the Kiwis. Doesn't say much for The Freak's team, does it?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down