Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics?

+4
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
bobheckler
dboss
8 posters

Go down

Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics? Empty Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics?

Post by dboss Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/will-trader-danny-ainge-be-more-active-season-celtics

Danny may trade one of his wings.

However this depends on how good the bigs play.  I would think you have to trade for need since simply adding talent may not address a specific need.  See quotes from Danny below:

“I don’t think our team is like a perfect fit,” Ainge said. “I don’t think Brad [Stevens] knows who his starting lineup is, who his first sub off the bench is, and what each guy is going to bring to the table.”

“So the question is, do you trade for need or do you trade for talent?” Ainge said. “Because I think we have some really talented wings. And we have some uncertainty at the 4 [power forward] and the 5 [center]. So, let’s hope our fours and fives can play as well as we hope they can and we can keep our talented wings because we need a lot of them.” 

I hate to think this but could Jaylen Brown be on the trading block?  There is an underlying assumption by Danny Ainge and it tells me that coach Stevens can do no wrong.  Half the time the issue is about coaching and how the coach is able to put a player in a position where he and the team can excel.  If our 4-5 guys are not playing well is it because of them or because of how they are being utilized.  The focus will be on our center and power forward play.  Last year the two biggest mistakes by Brad was over utilizing GH at the expense of under utilizing JB and not getting Robert Williams ready for the playoffs.  

This year we will need Kanter to stretch his offensive range and we need a starting PF to emerge.  I doubt Danny will rush into any deal until the team as currently assembled has a chance to play together for a while but if things go badly you can expect a move by February.  Danny still has draft picks to use and could trade a guy like Semi and a first rounder.  It is curious that Danny has added 2 new centers and he is concerned about the 5.  What he is really concerned about is not having a stretch 5 for Boston's spread offense.  A center that can walk and chew gum at the same time is not on the roster.  Brad will need to use his center rotations liberally and the same thing applies at PF.  He does not have a PF or a center that has both offensive skills and defensive skills.  Danny is the one who has put this team together.  He drafted an non-athletic PF that may prove inadequate to defend his position and he opted to sign a highend PG instead of a stretch 5.  

The ball is in Brad's court but in any event Danny should be cautious in moving a core guy especially since he has draft assets to play with.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics? Empty Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics?

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:05 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/will-trader-danny-ainge-be-more-active-season-celtics

Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics?

By A. Sherrod Blakely

September 10, 2019 9:24 AM

BOSTON -- One of the main reasons Danny Ainge has been reluctant to make any major changes to the Celtics roster the past couple of years, is because the team he assembled when healthy was good enough on paper to compete with the upper echelon in the NBA.

This season?

Not so much.

Compared to the past couple seasons, there’s a heightened level of uncertainty as to what this Celtics team is capable of and because of that, the specter of a potential trade looms a lot larger now.

Ainge, in a recent conversation at WBUR’s CitySpace, talked about the trade potential for this season.

“I don’t think our team is like a perfect fit,” Ainge said. “I don’t think Brad [Stevens] knows who his starting lineup is, who his first sub off the bench is, and what each guy is going to bring to the table.”

The Celtics lost a pair of All-Stars in Kyrie Irving (Brooklyn) and Al Horford (Philadelphia) to free agency.

Marcus Morris, a key reserve and part-time starter the past couple of seasons, signed a one-year, $15 million deal with the New York Knicks.

Boston also traded Aron Baynes to Phoenix.

With a clear lack of bigs, Boston signed Enes Kanter, who will likely be the team’s starting center to begin the season. They also re-signed Daniel Theis, along with 7-foot center Vincent Poirier from France, to join a big-man contingent that also includes second-year center Robert Williams.

Boston also selected Tennessee forward Grant Williams in the first round of the draft and signed 7-foot-6 center Tacko Fall to an Exhibit 10 contract.

As far as what the new guys meshing with the returners will bring to the table, that’s going to be a process of sorts for sure this season.

Still, the X-factor in all this is the Celtics’ depth at the wing position which includes Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Beyond those three, the Celtics also have Semi Ojeleye, who can play both forward positions, 6-6 Romeo Langford, who was the Celtics’ lottery pick from in the draft, in addition to summer league standout Javonte Green, who has a partially guaranteed contract and is in the mix for Boston’s 15th and final roster spot.

Well aware of the team’s depth at the wing and dearth of proven talent in the frontcourt, Ainge admits that he might have to move one of his wings in order to shore up the team’s frontcourt.

“So the question is, do you trade for need or do you trade for talent?” Ainge said. “Because I think we have some really talented wings. And we have some uncertainty at the 4 [power forward] and the 5 [center]. So, let’s hope our fours and fives can play as well as we hope they can and we can keep our talented wings because we need a lot of them.”

Ainge knows trading players is a reality that comes with the job.

That doesn’t make it any easier, though.

“I invest a lot emotionally with the kids … trading is hard,” Ainge said. “Trading a player that you drafted, that you develop a relationship with, root for every second, get to know their families, that’s really hard. That’s a really hard process. But that’s just part of the job. It’s a hard job and that’s the hardest part of it, is trading away players. But ultimately we have to do what’s best.”

bob
MY NOTE:  I have given up trying to predict what Danny will do, but when he says, publicly, “I don’t think our team is like a perfect fit,” Ainge said. “I don’t think Brad [Stevens] knows who his starting lineup is, who his first sub off the bench is, and what each guy is going to bring to the table.” you know he's feeling froggy.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics? Empty Re: Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics?

Post by dboss Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Bob I already posted this article.

Gyso can you merge please
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics? Empty Re: Will Trader Danny Ainge be more active this season for the Celtics?

Post by gyso Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Done

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:13 pm

gyso wrote:Done

Thank you gyso
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 pm

I think I posted one extremely similar. Great minds think alike????

Gyso, if you want to get rid of it go ahead
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Not sure how many times the article may have been posted, but Ainge needs to do a better job with manipulating the roster when needed when compared to what he did/didn't do last season.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:01 am

Just don't "merge: this with the Kevin Love stories please!!

What a Face
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:35 pm

“I don’t think Brad [Stevens] knows who his starting lineup is, who his first sub off the bench is, and what each guy is going to bring to the table.”

Not much time to figure everything out but looking to the first game of the year with Philly, Brad has to come up with a starting unit with a keen eye towards matching up with Al Horford.  Kanter has played well against Joel Embid.  Boston could start Semi, Theis or Robert Williams to match up with AH.  Or he could take a different approach and use GH, JT or JB at PF to create a speed advantage.  Philly is going to have 4 guys in the lineup that are 6'9 " or taller.  

Philly will be running a lot of pick and pops with Horford and Simmons.  The good thing for Boston is that they do not have to go over the top of the screen since Simmons cannot buy an outside shot.  Boston needs to keep Simmons from rolling to the rim and cover Al when he pops out.  AH does not roll as much as he pops.  Boston should be able to defend AH up top with any of our 3 wings.  The problem however may become an issue if AH takes one of our smaller PF down to the block.   It is going to be a chess match.

The other problem may be the size mismatch with Walker covering Simmons when he goes to the rack.

Boston should play a lot more zone defenses to help protect Walker.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm

UGH!!!! Just thinking that Al is on that team aggravates me!!! I think this is the year we have to worry about him, after this year, I see Al starting to slow down. So, if we had someone who could put some body on him, it might be good. Al does not like being manhandled. Semi???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:28 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:UGH!!!! Just thinking that Al is on that team aggravates me!!!  I think this is the year we have to worry about him, after this year, I see Al starting to slow down. So, if we had someone who could put some body on him, it might be good. Al does not like being manhandled.  Semi???

I agree, it will be hard to see him in another uniform, especially that one.

I believe that whoever handled Horford best in practice in the past will cover him. Perhaps Semi is the one.

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Semi does one thing well, and that is play defense.
I doubt he will get more than 5-10 minutes per game because he does not score much, does not rebound well and does not set up his teammates for easy baskets.

I am sticking to it that Brown needs to play at least 30 minutes per game and Tatum 34.

With Theis, Tatum, Brown all probably going to get minutes at PF, I don’t expect Semi to get many minutes.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 pm

dboss wrote:“I don’t think Brad [Stevens] knows who his starting lineup is, who his first sub off the bench is, and what each guy is going to bring to the table.”

Not much time to figure everything out but looking to the first game of the year with Philly, Brad has to come up with a starting unit with a keen eye towards matching up with Al Horford.  Kanter has played well against Joel Embid.  Boston could start Semi, Theis or Robert Williams to match up with AH.  Or he could take a different approach and use GH, JT or JB at PF to create a speed advantage.  Philly is going to have 4 guys in the lineup that are 6'9 " or taller.  

Philly will be running a lot of pick and pops with Horford and Simmons.  The good thing for Boston is that they do not have to go over the top of the screen since Simmons cannot buy an outside shot.  Boston needs to keep Simmons from rolling to the rim and cover Al when he pops out.  AH does not roll as much as he pops.  Boston should be able to defend AH up top with any of our 3 wings.  The problem however may become an issue if AH takes one of our smaller PF down to the block.   It is going to be a chess match.

The other problem may be the size mismatch with Walker covering Simmons when he goes to the rack.

Boston should play a lot more zone defenses to help protect Walker.
Have to put one of the wings on Simmons, Kemba can cover the smallest guy out there....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down