Semi Ojeleye: ‘half the battle’ in his own head as he prepares to fight for more playing time

Go down

Semi Ojeleye: ‘half the battle’ in his own head as he prepares to fight for more playing time Empty Semi Ojeleye: ‘half the battle’ in his own head as he prepares to fight for more playing time

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:12 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/09/boston-celtics-semi-ojeleye-half-the-battle-in-his-own-head-as-he-prepares-to-fight-for-more-playing-time.html

Boston Celtics Semi Ojeleye: ‘half the battle’ in his own head as he prepares to fight for more playing time

Today 7:38 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

BOSTON -- Semi Ojeleye’s muscles have made him a cult hero in Boston, but most players don’t last very long if the only eye-popping parts of their game are biceps.

Ojeleye is about to begin his third season with the Boston Celtics, but it’s his first real chance to earn a major role with the team. The departures of Al Horford, Aron Baynes, and Marcus Morris have created a lot of uncertainty in the Boston frontcourt. There are minutes at power forward and on the wing to be had for Ojeleye.

“I don’t know if it’s for me," Ojeleye said at the unveiling of a newly renovated wing at the Blue Hill Boys & Girls Club. “I think we’re all just gonna kinda see who fits with what lineup and depending on what game. We’re all competing to see what lineup fits us and how we can be the best on the court together.”

Ojeleye should be a guy who fits with anyone on the court. He’s a 6′7″ beast who has the strength to switch onto bigs and the quickness to stay in front of wings. There’s hope that the 42 percent 3-point shooting from college will ultimately replace his 32 percent NBA mark.

Frankly, the shooting is mostly what’s holding him back from being a quintessential NBA role player. Strong, switchy, defensive-minded wings who can drill 3′s last a long time in the Association.

But great shooting requires both good form and great confidence. He’s got the form part down for the most part. The confidence, though, needs work.

“I’m human. I think we all get down on ourselves," he said. “I don’t think there’s any person out there that can say when they’re having a bad stretch they’re not going to get down on themselves... But for me, especially, just realizing when I have those down stretches the quicker I get back up, the better I’ll play.”

The Celtics as a whole had an issue last season where missed shots led to defensive issues. There is a natural tendency to have a frustrated moment on the court when shots aren’t on target. Some players can get away with that because they do a lot of other things. Star players can have lapses that don’t lead to DNP’s. Ojeleye can’t.

“No matter if the shots going in, not going in, just staying aggressive,” he said. "I think that’s half the battle for me, just knowing that I can do things I can do on the court and from there to go out and do it.”

In some ways, Semi Ojeleye has already done a lot more than most second-round draft picks. He knows his first two years in Boston could have gone better, but his tireless work ethic has earned the respect of Brad Stevens. Ojeleye has been called on in tough playoff spots because of it. He’ll be given a chance to earn a spot in Boston’s rotation because of it.

Respect can go a long way, but ultimately, the on-court product has to back it up. In two weeks, Ojeleye will finally get his first real chance to do just that.

“It’s good that my improvement was even noticed at all or that I was even able to improve at all," he said. "I understand that it’s a process and you have to wait your turn and hopefully the time is now.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Until now Semi, who has shown very one-dimensional offensive skills, has owned the small ball 5 spot.  He also helped defend Giannis.  With the drafting of Grant Williams he now has competition for the small ball 5 spot on defense from a more versatile offensive player.  This is also the last year of his string of one year contracts.  A HUGE year for Semi.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down