Half Of The Celtic Roster Is On Rookie Contracts

+2
dbrown4
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Half Of The Celtic Roster Is On Rookie Contracts Empty Half Of The Celtic Roster Is On Rookie Contracts

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:58 am

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 15 minutes ago
Half of the Celtics' roster is now on rookie contracts. I took a closer look at how those deals will provide the C's with plenty of options and stability as the calendar turns to 2020 bostonsportsjournal.com/2019/09/19/und…

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Technically not true.  There are 5 Celtics on rookie contracts:
1.  Jaylen Brown
2.  Jayson Tatum
3.  Grant Williams
4.  Romeo Langford
5.  Robert Williams

Semi Ojelaye and Carsen Edwards are on "cap space" contracts because they weren't first round picks with guaranteed contracts, but they are effectively on their first contract (Semi signed 1-year contracts with 2 team renewal options.  So, 3 separate contracts, but all committed to by the player at the same time).  This does not take into account if Tacko makes the team.  He would be another "cap space" contract, not a rookie contract, but unless you're Danny or Mike Zarren these are differences without distinctions. From our perspective it's a kindergarten.

This is, in my opinion, WAY too many.  Possibly 8 players out of 15 (or 7 out of 14) that have so little experience they are on their first contract?  Theis only has 2 years of NBA experience and Wanamaker 1 year, but they are older players.  All of those 8 players are young'uns trying to learn how to be professionals in their chosen careers. I am looking forward to the start of the season, I am quite intrigued by our team, but there are going to be a lot of frustrating moments with our youth other than Brown and Tatum. That still leaves 5 or 6 players that could/will get minutes that will make a lot of mistakes.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Half Of The Celtic Roster Is On Rookie Contracts Empty Re: Half Of The Celtic Roster Is On Rookie Contracts

Post by dbrown4 Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 am

With all that, though, the talking heads still have us finishing in 4th in the East. Yes, this could really go either way as we have discussed.

As I have expressed, I REALLY would like to see them prove everyone wrong this upcoming season and scare 1st. I like your words "quite intrigued". Perfect. Me, too!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Half Of The Celtic Roster Is On Rookie Contracts Empty Re: Half Of The Celtic Roster Is On Rookie Contracts

Post by NYCelt Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Sure points out how young this group is.

Going to be a lot of proofing at team diners.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 am

This group may be too young to be a top level team, but I do not think that such a determination can be made this early. Brown, Tatum and Hayward may have much better seasons than last year. Guys like Smart, Kantor, Theis, Williams and Walker may make better contributions. Some of the rookies seem to have the ability to help out, too.

BUT, and MOST importantly I hope that this year's team is a lot more fun to watch because even with the talent last year it was a very, very difficult team to like.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:09 am

wideclyde wrote:This group may be too young to be a top level team, but I do not think that such a determination can be made this early.  Brown, Tatum and Hayward may have much better seasons than last year. Guys like Smart, Kantor, Theis, Williams and Walker may make better contributions.  Some of the rookies seem to have the ability to help out, too.

BUT, and MOST importantly I hope that this year's team is a lot more fun to watch because even with the talent last year it was a very, very difficult team to like.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Over the years I've sort of favored young teams with potential - so that I could root for a team that appeared to have a bright future when the current addition would falter. But free agency has now become so season altering that I'm shiffting my views towqrd a more live for today approach. Sometimes tomorrow never comes.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down