Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade?

4 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade? Empty Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade?

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/09/boston-celtics-summer-decisions-will-the-celtics-try-to-swing-a-blockbuster-trade.html

Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade?

Today 7:33 AM

Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade? YZM364IMDJDZXJ2MWB2KCYPJVM
Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum, left, drives against Sacramento Kings forward Nemanja Bjelica (88) in the first half of an NBA basketball game, Thursday, March 14, 2019, in Boston. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com and John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

The Boston Celtics are almost back to training camp, but before the regular season starts, they have several interesting decisions to make. MassLive’s Celtics beat writers will outline a few of them in our last summer series: Celtics summer decisions. Next up: Will the Celtics try to swing a big trade?

Monday’s decision: Who should start at center?

Tuesday’s decision: What to do about Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown’s looming extensions?

Wednesday’s decision: Will Tacko Fall make the final roster?

JOHN KARALIS

“Did we, meaning those of us responsible for putting the team together, led by Brad (Stevens) and Danny (Ainge), but signed-off on by me, so also responsibility here, did we construct it correctly, did we course correct it? No we didn’t, we went right through the trading deadline. What did we decide?”

That quote from Wyc Grousbeck on 98.5 FM’s Felger and Mazz show after last season is sticking with me like a Big Mac in my gut. I just can’t shake it.

I like to say everything is a reaction to something. Stop lights are there because drivers kept slamming into each other at intersections. Tamper-proof caps stopped lunatics from tainting things. And that “employees must wash hands sign”... well, let’s just not think about that right now.

Last season, the Celtics decided their best course of action was to stay the course and hope time and a playoff run could fix what was broken. Of course, they would have made a trade for Anthony Davis if they could have, but the NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement stood in their way. By the time they were able to make a run for him, it was too late.

So it’s easy to understand why Danny Ainge didn’t want to trade away assets he felt he needed for a run at Davis. But that doesn’t change the quote from Grousbeck, who specifically brought up the deadline passing without a move.

He didn’t have to, but he did. That means it bothered him at some level.

That’s why I think ownership is going to want to be aggressive in fixing problems this upcoming season. Grousbeck, like most people, did not appreciate the way things went last season. While a different dynamic appears to be brewing this season, it’s not without some potential pitfalls.

Jaylen Brown is playing for a contract. Jayson Tatum is hoping to prove he deserves a max extension. Gordon Hayward is trying to prove he’s Gordon Hayward again, and he has a player option.

There is a risk of something going wrong, especially if Brad Stevens decides to start only two of those three guys. You can throw in Enes Kanter’s ability to opt out, a non-guaranteed second year of Daniel Theis’ contract, and a team option on Semi Ojeleye’s deal and there’s added pressure on a bunch of individuals to perform well.

If a problem does arise, Boston has the tools to engineer a deal. When you consider the weak free agent class next summer, it’s likely that GM’s might try to work some in-season trades to bolster their rosters or change directions.

Danny Ainge also has the Memphis pick in his back pocket. It’s top-6 protected this year and unprotected next year. The Grizzlies are in a full-blown rebuild, so they’ll be pretty bad both years. There’s a strong chance that will be a very good pick.

As I said on Tuesday, there are a few scenarios where Boston could move Brown. One of them could involve clearing up a logjam in the backcourt if players aren’t happy with their roles. An obvious trade partner would be the Indiana Pacers, who may be looking to move a big man.

If Brad Stevens finds himself with a minutes crunch and players unhappy that their roles could cost them money, Ainge could start making calls, especially if Grousbeck catches wind of it. An in-season trade involving the Celtics should not surprise anyone.

TOM WESTERHOLM

Like Tuesday, I don’t have any major disagreements with Karalis (it stands to reason especially that after standing pat and suffering through last season, the Celtics might be much more willing to shake it up), so I’ll try to add a few things on the margins.

Much has been made of Boston’s championship window closing, and the crack is tight enough to pinch some fingers. But if a couple fairly realistic things break right for the Celtics, they can get right back into contention. Jayson Tatum needs to have a breakout season, Kemba Walker needs to be a star, and Gordon Hayward needs to be good again, but if you patch all those possibilities together, this team is one good defensive big away from looking like a noisemaker.

That big would need to be able to defend in a few different ways and put up some resistance against the likes of Joel Embiid and/or Giannis Antetokounmpo, which is a big ask (and not something Myles Turner has historically succeeded at, for those wondering about Indiana’s bigs). But Boston has a lot of good assets and nice young players. The Celtics might not have the strongest package for a superstar if we safely assume Jayson Tatum is completely out of the discussion now, but they should be able to put a competitive offer together for players in the tier below.

Of course, the likelihood of a trade depends on which names might be available, and it’s possible the Celtics would rather holster their guns until the right deal surfaces. That’s the prudent move -- this roster should be pretty good, even if it doesn’t make much sense, and “pretty good” can buy you some time to create “very good.”

But like Karalis, I think a trade or two -- and maybe a pretty impactful one -- could easily be in the cards this year.

bob
MY NOTE:  To be honest, given our poor playoff run and the loss of Kyrie AND Horford AND Baynes AND Morris I have been expecting Danny to make some trades this whole summer and am surprised that he hasn't.  This is why I don't try to predict or second-guess Mr. Ainge.  I have failed to understand, repeatedly over time, what he is thinking and will do. I have my own opinions as to what we need and should do, but for me to try to predict what he will do is a waste of time.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade? Empty Re: Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade?

Post by sinus007 Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am

Hi,
I'd guess Danny wants to see how all newcomers perform during the regular season.
Also, as many pointed out, our front court is kind of thin. So, based on its performance, I'd say Danny might swing a trade for somebody like Turner, Sabonis, etc

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade? Empty Re: Boston Celtics summer decisions: Will the Celtics try to swing a blockbuster trade?

Post by dboss Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:11 am

The Celtics have 2 new centers on the team this year and a 3rd young promising center that saw very little playing time.

I suspect that Danny Ainge will let coach Stevens put these guys into the mix.

Ainge sits on first round drafts assets and players to address needs on this team but we need to see how those needs reveal themselves.  

JOHN KARALIS states "There is a risk of something going wrong, especially if Brad Stevens decides to start only two of those three guys."

I would add that there is a risk of something going wrong if he does start all 3 players.  At this point we do not know who will be in our starting lineup or how that lineup may change depending on who the Celtics are playing.  We do not know if Stevens will have a defined 6th man role or go with a 2 out 2 in  approach to the rotation.  We do not now how Brad will maintain his preferred 5 out offense when you have no center on the team that can stretch the floor other than Theis, a rotation guy.

There are more questions than answers but with the season approaching fast we are about to get some answers.

My view of this team and Brad's philosophy has changed since the beginning of last season.  I truly believed that having 5 shooters starting would work well but what we found out is that it tends to dilute the talent that you have when you have too many shooters playing together.  I do think brad came to that conclusion when he opted to insert Marcus Smart into the lineup.  He was a low volume shooter last year but had his most efficient showing of his career.

The Celtics are faced with the same challenge.  How do you start 3 offensive minded wings along with a high volume shooter in Walker and a center that will look for his opportunities before he looks for others?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 pm

As I said on Tuesday, there are a few scenarios where Boston could move Brown. One of them could involve clearing up a logjam in the backcourt if players aren’t happy with their roles. An obvious trade partner would be the Indiana Pacers, who may be looking to move a big man.

that sounds familiar somehow
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down