Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’

3 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’ Empty Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’

Post by dboss Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:48 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/9/30/20891871/brad-stevens-believes-boston-celtics-could-be-awfully-good-defensively-nba

Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens isn’t one for showing a plethora of emotions, keeping to a stoic, even-keeled manner seemingly at all times.

But even Stevens, who is entering his 7th year at the helm of the C’s, couldn’t help but get excited over the potential of his team’s defense with a new season approaching.

Leading the defensive charge will undoubtedly be Marcus Smart, a 2018-19 NBA All-Defensive First Team selection, who routinely harasses opposing guards and can make an impact on the defensive end from any position despite is 6-foot-4 frame.

The defensive versatility of the Celtics is probably what fascinates Stevens the most as he tries to find a way to shut down high-volume scorers and high-powered offenses. Jaylen Brown, an adept defender in his own right, along with Gordon Hayward and Jayson Tatum all possesses nearly the same height and length to guard multiple positions.

Throw in rookies Grant Williams and Romeo Langford, and the Celtics have the ability to switch successfully on defense while not losing much, if any in the one-on-one matchups.

“We do have some lineups especially that we’ll be able to go to … that could be awfully good defensively,” said Stevens, as the Celtics ranked sixth in the NBA in defensive rating last season

Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’ 6P0wtjIWEh2BPNDL?format=jpg&name=small

The biggest question mark surrounding the Celtics defense comes in the form of rim protection. With Al Horford joining the Philadelphia 76ers, the C’s lack big-men depth and will rely on offseason acquisition Enes Kanter – not known for any type of stout defending – Daniel Theis, and Robert Williams III to man the paint. If 7-foot-7 Tacko Fall ends up making the team, he could provide a mammoth interior presence.

Robert Williams, who played in 32 games as a rookie last season, has shown flashes of being a dominant shot blocker and looks to get a significant boost in minutes in his second year with the C’s. Williams blocked 40 shots last season, including recording a 5-block performance in just 16 minutes against the Atlanta Hawks.

And as Stevens tinkers with the lineups, there’s the potential he’ll rely on the C’s playing a more defensive brand of basketball to win games.

“This team will have to play a little bit differently on both sides of the ball than we have,” Stevens said.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’ Empty Re: Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Did you watch any of the interviews today? I don’t know if it is just me, but Robert Williams looks so much more fit. His body looks like he has grown into it, doesn’t look skinny. I was impressed with the way he handled himself in the interview, even laughed when he said he was beginning to embrace his knickname “Time Lord” and chuckled.

Jaylen looks so in shape and Jason looks like he grew up!!! Our kids are developing right before our eyes.

I believe they will be a terrific defensive team, (certain lineups better than others). This may take away a lot of the sour taste in our mouths from last year, I refuse to mention names at all, it is over. On with the new year and new expectations
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’ Empty Re: Brad Stevens believes Celtics ‘could be awfully good defensively’

Post by dboss Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 pm

Rosalie

Yes I watched all of the interviews. I was very impressed with RW. Just listening to him gave me a feeling that he gets it. Year over year he has matured quite a bit.

Jason and Jaylen both look thicker. You can see the physical development.

All of the guys did outstanding jobs. Very impressive.

Coach Stevens mentioned that Jaylen played some new positions with team USA. I knew he would see how Pop was moving him around.

Brad must be feeling pretty good about our bigs. He sees an opportunity for some really good lineups.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:09 pm

If you watch and listen to Boston Sports Tonight, almost every one of those (?) announcers give the Celtics much of a chance of breaking 40, never mind 50 games. AND, the big flaw????
They claim the Celtics are going to be terrible on defense. This is interesting after watching Brad and Danny both say that they feel the team will be pretty good defensively. What are these guys watching? or shall I just say reading? The world is coming to an end without Al Horford? Certainly not with the Loss of the other one,, he did not play defense unless forced to. I eventually had to shut them off.

Why is it that the Celtics get the short end of the stick from local reporters? Anyway, I for one am looking forward to seeing just what these guys will do on defense this year.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Rosalie,

The press has been enjoying for years now our long hiatus from being the perennial force we once were in the NBA. Now they either just ignore us and/or make crap up. Their day is coming!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down