The Celtics need Jayson Tatum to 'feel like a king'

Go down

The Celtics need Jayson Tatum to 'feel like a king' Empty The Celtics need Jayson Tatum to 'feel like a king'

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:10 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-jayson-tatum-feel-king-220145574.html

The Celtics need Jayson Tatum to 'feel like a king'

Chris Forsberg, NBC Sports Boston

16 hours ago

CANTON, Mass. - Jayson Tatum thumbed through all the party signs in front of him at the photo booth then combed his way back to the beginning. Tatum studied every option before confidently settling on, "Feel like a king" for his party prop.

It was a brief moment in the utter craziness that is Media Day (full disclosure: our NBC Sports Boston set up includes both a prom-style photo booth with props including a unicorn mask and a DJ playing the player's favorite songs as they navigate various stations). Still, that brief snapshot seemed important for two reasons: 1) If Tatum is half as thorough with his shot selection this season - something he promised he would be - that's a tremendous sign for his efficiency and 2) The sign felt particularly encouraging for a player whose performance might just be the key to Boston's success this season.

The still-only 21-year-old Tatum confidently navigated Media Day at High Output studios on Monday. It was maybe his last Media Day before a monster payday arrives as Tatum will be eligible to be extended off his rookie pact next summer. Maybe it's the oversized muttonchops or the filled out frame but he looks far more mature than the baby-faced teenager that first debuted here two years ago.

Now, it's time to see if his game has matured as well. This past summer offered a tantalizing glimpse of Tatum as he participated with Team USA in the FIBA World Cup. But Tatum got injured only two games into the group play, this while pretty much rescuing the Americans from an early defeat against Turkey.

Tatum still came away from the experience raving, particularly about working with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who got him to see the game in another light.

"The thing that I talked about with Pop a lot was being able to dominate and have an impact on the game without scoring," said Tatum. "Everybody has off nights, but how can you still find a way to be super dominant and affect the game in a positive way? Just making quick decisions, playing faster, getting to the basket more. Not trying to settle."

The biggest music to Celtics' fans ears was when Tatum admitted he needed to change his shot profile.

"Focus on getting to the basket much more. Shoot more 3s - 3s and layups, and free throws," said Tatum, whose workouts with Kobe Bryant last summer became a punchline when he hoisted some questionable long 2s. "If you want to be a great scorer in this league, you have to get to the line. Free throws are super important. Getting to the basket, that opens up the rest of the game.

"Threes are worth more than 2s."

Such a simple notion but so very important to unlocking Tatum's full potential. The talent is obvious but getting Tatum to play with both a desire to impact all areas of the game and maximizing his offensive efficiency could unlock an NBA superstar.

Tatum is aware of the high expectations around him. Maybe learning from last season and the struggles of the Celtics team as a whole, he wouldn't bite when asked about his expectations for the upcoming season.

"I always have expectations … I think I'm going to keep them to myself this year," said Tatum. "I'm going to keep them in my mind, but winning is most important. That's always the goal."

Celtics coach Brad Stevens suggested that part of the expectation burden that both Tatum and Jaylen Brown carry is because they set their own bar so high two years ago. Stevens said the team will continue to lean on that duo this season.

Kemba Walker must maintain a high level of performance in a new environment. Gordon Hayward must return closer to the form he displayed before his gruesome ankle injury. But so much of what Boston accomplishes this year hinges heavily on the leap that Tatum does or does not make.

Monday was an encouraging glimpse of a player that understands he didn't come close to unlocking his full potential last season.

"I guess the best thing about what happened last year it was just a teaching experience. Especially for me, being young in my second year, it was something I can look back on and ask myself what I could have done better and try to apply it to this coming up season," said Tatum. "You can't change what happened in the past. You can only worry about what's next."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down