Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season

4 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season Empty Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:34 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/jayson-tatum-is-excited-to-be-back-for-what-could-be-an-era-defining-boston-celtics-season-john-karalis.html

Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season

John Karalis
Today 3:42 PM

Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season IMIDDFSCGZFGDBWWDUKL5SETWI
CANTON, MASSACHUSETTS - SEPTEMBER 30: Jayson Tatum #0 poses for a photo during Celtics Media Day at High Output Studios on September 30, 2019 in Canton, Massachusetts. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

BRIGHTON -- This might not be fair, but it’s also how things go in sports.

This season from Jayson Tatum could define this era in Boston Celtics history.

He is the highlight piece from the Brooklyn Nets trade. If he becomes a superstar-level player, there’s no revisionist history that calls the deal a dud.

He’s the centerpiece of this new era. With Kyrie Irving and Al Horford gone, and no Anthony Davis trade, Danny Ainge has to hang his hat on the team’s youth acquired in that trade. If Tatum becomes a star, then Ainge’s two-path plan is justified.

He’s the potential star around which a winning team is being built. If Tatum hits that ceiling, the Celtics have strong chance at raising their 18th championship banner sooner rather than later.

Tatum is either at the middle of this team’s rise to the top, or the Celtics will have to readjust, again. The phrase “championship drought” isn’t something anyone on Causeway street wants thrown around.

So, no pressure.

“I’ve never really been one affected by outside noise, no matter how good people tell me or doing or how bad people tell me I’m doing,” Tatum said at media day. “I never get too high or too low. I just try to focus on the task at hand and enjoy it.”

The task at hand began on Tuesday at the Auerbach Center in Brighton.

“I’m more excited to be back playing,” Tatum said after the team’s morning session. “I haven’t played in a while, being out with the ankle (injury suffered in the FIBA World Cup), so I’m just happy to be back on the court playing basketball.”

With Tatum back and fully healthy, he can begin the process of finding his offense. After a season of often questionable shot selection, Tatum sounded like he was fully on board with the more modern NBA style of scoring.

“Focus on getting to the basket much more,” he said. “Shoot more 3’s. 3’s and layups. And free throws. If you want to be a great scorer in this league, you have to get to the line. Free throws is super important. Getting to the basket and that opens up the rest of the game. 3’s are worth more than 2’s.”

The path to being a 20 points per game scorer isn’t tough for Tatum if he follows his own advice. He averaged 15.7 points on 13 shot attempts and 2.9 free throw attempts per game last season. If he can take three more free throws and hit them at an 85 percent clip, he’ll score 2.5 more points just from the line. If he can hit one more 3 per game than last season, he’ll add 5.5 points and average 21.2 points per game.

It seems easy, but Tatum needs to make those big adjustments he was talking about. Brad Stevens says that can come a lot easier if Tatum cuts down on the isolation ball and works within the flow of the offense.

“Everybody benefits from good ball movement and precise ball movement and high-motor offense, because when you catch it you have a little more of a step on your defender,” Stevens said. “You don’t have to work quite as hard in an isolated moment. So I think we all benefit from that. I thought Jayson was very good today, just like I expect.”

That’s about all you’ll hear about expectations from anyone here. At least not publicly. Tatum said he’s keeping those to himself.

Whatever the expectation is, the possibilities for Tatum seem high. On Tuesday he took both the next step in his career, but also, maybe, the first of many big steps forward.

“I’m more excited,” he said when asked if he was nervous at all about this season. “I know we said it a lot yesterday, talking about a fresh start, that’s really what it feels like. It feels good to be back, back in the gym and getting ready.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season Empty Re: Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season

Post by dboss Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Era defining? Please stop.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season Empty Re: Jayson Tatum is ‘excited’ to be back for what could be an era-defining Boston Celtics season

Post by worcester Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:03 am

And Jaylen is chopped liver?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 pm

Way too much hype.

My team has won one NBA title in 33 years.  The current drought has surpassed more than a decade.

So using era definning to me is meaningless.

I am as excited as the next guy when it comes to this team and the individual players but they still have to go out and prove themselves.  

Fans would do well to limit expectations because this team has more than a few unknows.

I hope Boston can somehow settle into being a team that is not changing out a significant number of players every damn year.

This team needs stability and that can only be achieved with longevity of the roster.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:56 pm

dboss wrote:Way too much hype.

My team has won one NBA title in 33 years.  The current drought has surpassed more than a decade.

So using era definning to me is meaningless.

I am as excited as the next guy when it comes to this team and the individual players but they still have to go out and prove themselves.  

Fans would do well to limit expectations because this team has more than a few unknows.

I hope Boston can somehow settle into being a team that is not changing out a significant number of players every damn year.

This team needs stability and that can only be achieved with longevity of the roster.

dboss

Right on the money - for 32 of 33 years it's been wait until next year - years often high in expectations - while disappointing in results - the glory days of the 50's,60's, 70's and 80's are rapidly fading into the ancient past - perhaps it's time to hope for an occassional championship now rather than the building of a dynasty of the future.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down