Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2?

+2
NYCelt
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2? Empty Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2?

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:04 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-spotlight-robert-williams-seize-040636334.html

Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2?

A. Sherrod Blakely, NBC Sports Boston

Fri, Oct 11 9:06 PM MST

When it comes to the NBA, change is the one constant every team and every player can count on.

When it comes to the Celtics, no returning player has gone through the kind of metamorphosis that we've seen from Robert Williams III.

When training camp started a year ago, Williams was considered a low-risk, high-reward draft pick who had a lot - A LOT - of growing up to do.

There were missed flights (hence the "Time Lord" nickname), conditioning issues as well as nagging injuries that made him a non-factor.

As the season wore on, he began to show glimpses of the immense potential that at one point had him pegged as a top-10 selection coming into the 2018 draft.

Fast forward to the 107-106 win over Charlotte in the preseason opener, a game in which Williams was in the starting lineup and scored Boston's first points on a lob dunk.

"It was great to be with the first group," Williams told NBC Sports Boston. "That just shows that the coaches, they have a lot of trust in me."

Certainly, more than they had a year ago, which speaks to the 21-year-old's growth and potential.

It's a successful season for Williams if…

…He spends more time than any of Boston's bigs-by-committee in the starting lineup. It sends a clear message that the strengths in Williams' game are on display enough to where coach Brad Stevens thinks it is a necessity for him to start. At 6-foot-11, Williams has an unusual springy-bounce to his game which allows him to block a bunch of shots and alter many others. He only appeared in 32 games in his rookie season, but he was one of just four players in the NBA with more blocked shots than committed fouls. Most of his offensive damage came on lob dunks at the rim, a dynamic that none of Boston's other bigs can bring to the game the way Williams can. That helps explain why he shot 76 percent in the restricted area last season and he'll look to be even more impactful with more minutes available this season.

It's a disappointing season for Williams if…

…Williams gets lost in the playing time shuffle. Despite being in his second season, only Daniel Theis has more experience as a Celtic among Boston's big men. Rebounding, defense and communicating on the floor will collectively dictate how big (or little) a role Williams will have this season for the Celtics. And like most players, a key to Williams' success will also be him managing to stay healthy. The Celtics selected him with the 27th overall pick in 2018, a significant drop for a player many viewed as having top-10 talent. One of the factors in him dropping so far was his health, be it the knee-related injuries, or concerns with his overall conditioning even when healthy.  He has had some minor injuries with the Celtics, including most recently a groin injury. But it doesn't appear as if it'll linger, which is good news for Williams and his goal of being a starter this season.

2019-2020 Outlook

After spending most of the summer in Boston strengthening both his mental and physical game, Williams has the potential to be the Celtics' most improved player this season. He says his weight is down to about 240 pounds, which is around 10 pounds less than he played with last season. Coaches and players have praised his work this summer and the time he has spent in the gym to get better, which is why he is one of the front-runners to start at center this season.  He spent most of his rookie season keeping tabs on Aron Baynes and Al Horford, trying to incorporate their strengths into his own game. He'll get that opportunity for sure this season, whether it is with the first group or coming off the bench as a key reserve.

bob
MY NOTE:  Theis is the most well-rounded Celtic big.  Kanter is the most veteran, by far (Theis is 2nd with only 42 total NBA playoff minutes.  Kanter has 872 total, with 461 last year in Portland alone).  Poirier is as big as Kanter (taller by 2", in fact, but 15# lighter) and has years of experience playing professional ball.  Williams has more potential than any of them but is inexperienced, raw offensively and still makes a lot of mistakes on defense.  If he gets "lost in the playing time shuffle" it's because he has bigger, better, more experienced players ahead of him on the depth chart.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2? Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2?

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Looks a lot like Theis-Kanter-R Williams, the 3-headed center. My guess is the answer to the question in the thread title is R Williams will seize 1/3 of the starting center role.

The more I see, the more I think Scal nailed it with his comparison to hockey shifts at center for those three.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2? Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: Can Robert Williams seize a starting role in Year 2?

Post by tardust Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:05 pm

We need his shot blocking and good defense bad. We lost both our horses that manned the middle last year and that worries me. RW looked better this year in summer league with his passing and aggressiveness. I would love for him to be a Capela type player.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:20 am

From what I have seen of Williams this year he will do well to be 1/3 of the center position as NYCELT mentioned.

IF he starts (at this point, but he may improve faster than the other guys) he will not get typical starter's minutes as his game is not rounded enough. Perhaps 16-20 minutes to start the season, but that is far more than he earned last season as a rookie.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:54 am

16-20 minutes is perfect for him, Kantor Theis and Poirier will also be getting minutes, more concerned with how we deal with the PF position when we face the big teams....Giannis and AD?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:21 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:16-20 minutes is perfect for him, Kantor Theis and Poirier will also be getting minutes, more concerned with how we deal with the PF position when we face the big teams....Giannis and AD?

Cow,

With the loss of Horford we only have one even halfway-proven defender on Giannis and that's Semi.  One player who could work out defending him is Robert Williams.  He has the length to bother him, does he have the footspeed and BBIQ?  If Giannis has developed a jump shot then nobody is going to guard him and I'm not just talking about the Celtics.  Nobody.

With AD, Williams did a pretty decent job last season when he was with the Pelicans.  Poirier might be ok, unless AD is hitting from outside, then forget that.  Regardless, we only play AD 2X/year.  I am FAR more worried about Embiid, and all the games we play against the Sixers, than I am about Anthony Davis and the Western Conference Lakers.

The Time Lord doesn't have the luxury of a lot of time to grow up, he needs to be ready soon.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:01 pm

A lot depends on who the other 4 starters are and who we are going up against. There will be times when the opponent starts two SF and a center. Other times you will see a PF and big center from the opponent.

So far Brad has gone with his 3 wings and of course Kemba. I do not think he has settled on a starting center. Each bring something different to the table.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down