+5
babyskyhook
NYCelt
bobheckler
Sam
gyso
9 posters

Go down

Ironic trade rumor... Empty Ironic trade rumor...

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:44 am

Big Al plus pick #4 for Perk, Sheed and pick #19

It passes the RealGM Tradechecker test.

Would we trade our Dwight Defender to move up in the draft?

Back to top Go down

Ironic trade rumor... Empty Re: Ironic trade rumor...

Post by Sam Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:14 am

In a New York minute!

My question would be whether Sheed has to FAIL a physical in order to qualify. Where did you find this?

I saw this on somethng called FanHouse (whatever that is):

"A league front-office source told FanHouse that the Celtics have been dangling center Kendrick Perkins and their No. 19 pick to teams with high lottery picks in attempt to add a dynamic young talent to their aging core. It's a tough sell, considering Perkins is facing surgery as early as Friday after tearing his medial collateral ligament and partially tearing his posterior cruciate ligament in Game 6 of the NBA Finals." FanHouse.

Something called "Hoops Market" says the following:

"Semih Erden is closer to land in the Boston Celtics next season. The 23-year-old Turkish center could have already reached to an agreement with the NBA franchise, and the deal could be signed in the next days. Erden would arrive to the Celtics from Fenerbahce, averaging 8.2 points and 5.1 rebounds in 20.8 minutes per game in the last TBL." The Hoops Market

It's written so poorly that it may have been loosely translated from Turkish. Frankly, it's all Greek to me.

But at least maybe it's good Karma in that various "sources" are at least talking about shoring up our center position with healthy bodies.

And, by the way, why can't we make trades like Oklahoma City did? They traded their #32 pick to Miami for the #19 pick plus Dejaun Cook. Miami must have wanted to dump Cook's salary pretty badly to trade DOWN 13 slots in order to get rid of him. Just to trade #32 in return for #19 sounds like a pretty good deal for Oklahoma City; to get even a marginal player in addition defies belief!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Sam,

I saw this on sbnation/celticsblog.

It really didn't mention our sending #19 along, but I assumed it would.

Sheed doesn't have to take a physical. His role in the trade is to retire so that his salary comes off the books.

Kind of an "instant expiring contract". No waiting until the trading deadline.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Sam,

I forgot to say that the news about our Turk is WONDERFUL!!!!

IMO, that is a big part of the Celtics ... Retooled Again.

I officially have all rights to that slogan.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Why would Minny do that trade? They could get Cousins with the #4. Then they'd have Jefferson and Cousins (and Kevin Love) instead of a Perk coming off of ligament surgery, a "stick-a-fork-in-me-I'm-done" Sheed and a #19 that won't get you much in a draft that's not much deeper than 8 or 9.

Just wondering aloud...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:16 pm

bob,

It is all about a salary dump and has nothing to do with playing the game of basketball.

Sheed will not be playing. Period. He retires.

Perk only has one year on his contract and is relatively inexpensive.

Also, the pay scale for #4 is higher than #19. That is another way to avoid salary.

It is all about the salary cap!!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:24 pm

gyso wrote:bob,

It is all about a salary dump and has nothing to do with playing the game of basketball.

Sheed will not be playing. Period. He retires.

Perk only has one year on his contract and is relatively inexpensive.

Also, the pay scale for #4 is higher than #19. That is another way to avoid salary.

It is all about the salary cap!!!

gyso

gyso,

Coming from our resident capologist, I accept everything you say on faith.

I would do this deal in a NY second. Can you imagine getting Big Al and Derrick Favors with the #4 for an injured Perk and a worn-out Sheed? Or Al and Cousins?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 pm

bob,

Here is another deal that doesn't make sense, basketball-wise, but is purely economic:

Miami traded shooting guard Daequan Cook and the No. 18 selection in tonight’s draft to Oklahoma City in exchange for the No. 32 pick, helping clear cap space. Cook was due to make about $2.2 million next season.

Trading a player and the 18th pick to get just #32?

Everyone is getting lined up for the great free agent signing frenzy or is preparing for the next CBA negotiations/lockout/new CBA agreement.

Some teams perhaps have come to the understanding that they will never compete for a NBA championship. So they just want to survive.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:54 pm

bob,

here is the first year salary of the 2010-2011 draft first round picks that we have discussed in this thread, along with #1:

#1: 4.2869mil

#4: 3.1055mil

#18: 1.2375mil

#19: 1.1818mil

#32: Trick question, that pick is in the second round and isn't guaranteed.

As you can see, there is quite a drop-off from #4 to #19.

Beginning in 1995, salaries for first round picks were set according to a strict scale, determined by their exact draft position. The salary scale is determined for all picks in all seasons when the CBA is written.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q41

Here is the chart:

http://www.nbpa.org/sites/default/files/EXHIBIT%20B.pdf

(scroll down to 2010-2011)

gyso

PS: sometimes the links to the salcap FAQ's acts wierd. If it does, go to question #41.

Last edited by gyso on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : issue with too many ss's and added PS)

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Not so sure I'd jump at this one except for the high pick (pun slightly intended).

Big Al is a superior offensive player and great in the low post. In terms of defense I'd rather stick with Perk. Both have gotten their share of injuries but Perks shoulder, which seemed to have been the concern, doesn't appear to have turned chronic. His knee is now a question, that's true, but Big Al's got those recurring ankle problems and especially for a big that's not great.

I'd have to be darn sure Greg Monroe was going to be on the board before pulling the trigger.

EDIT; On further review it's knees and ankles plus a huge contract with Big Al...PASS! (unless a third team is involved to take Big Al for usable value).
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:47 pm

NYCelt wrote:Not so sure I'd jump at this one except for the high pick (pun slightly intended).

Big Al is a superior offensive player and great in the low post. In terms of defense I'd rather stick with Perk. Both have gotten their share of injuries but Perks shoulder, which seemed to have been the concern, doesn't appear to have turned chronic. His knee is now a question, that's true, but Big Al's got those recurring ankle problems and especially for a big that's not great.

I'd have to be darn sure Greg Monroe was going to be on the board before pulling the trigger.

EDIT; On further review it's knees and ankles plus a huge contract with Big Al...PASS! (unless a third team is involved to take Big Al for usable value).

I agree NYC-

I wouldn't go anywhere near that deal. Jefferson is a terrible defender, and the main reason you guys are so effective vs the Magic is that Perk can defend D12 straight up, thus allowing everyone else to stay with the Magic's shooters.

I would pass.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Al Jefferson is a PF. He has been used exclusively as a center for years now. That's a lot of his problem defensively.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Defense? I love Al, but he doesn't play defense! A great offensive player, period. We just didn't want to face that when he was here.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:33 pm

bob
I agree Big Al is out of position as a 5,he and Love playing together are just too small.Put him as a PF next to a Perk or Howard and he could play effectively on defense,the guy can board.In the right situation I'd love to see him back,McHale goofed the year he drafted Love,pairing Big Al with Brook Lopez would have been perfect for that franchise.Not the first time McHale had messed up as a GM.
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:49 pm

What about Ryan Gomes? Gyso, would this fit into the salary cap? The deal he has is that if they don't pick up his option by June 30, they have to pay him $1million this year and $1 million next. What effect does this have on the team picking him up? I know he has faults, but he finds his way around the basket and has a nice 15 foot jump shot. Thoughts anyone?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:19 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob
I agree Big Al is out of position as a 5,he and Love playing together are just too small.Put him as a PF next to a Perk or Howard and he could play effectively on defense,the guy can board.In the right situation I'd love to see him back,McHale goofed the year he drafted Love,pairing Big Al with Brook Lopez would have been perfect for that franchise.Not the first time McHale had messed up as a GM.
cow

Cowens,

Many teams passe up Lopez, not only McHale.
McHale didn't draft Love. He was drafted by Memphis and traded to Minnesota.

June 26, 2008: Drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies in the 1st round (5th pick) of the 2008 NBA Draft.

It was odd that McHale would build the team around two players (Love/Jefferson) that are very similar players.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:46 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:What about Ryan Gomes? Gyso, would this fit into the salary cap? The deal he has is that if they don't pick up his option by June 30, they have to pay him $1million this year and $1 million next. What effect does this have on the team picking him up? I know he has faults, but he finds his way around the basket and has a nice 15 foot jump shot. Thoughts anyone?????

Rosalie,

First, I want to say that Ryan Gomes was one of my favorite Celtics before the big trades brought Ray and KG. However...

I would not use any part of the MLE on him. He does not answer our needs for length. I would spend the vet minimum on him, but that wouldn't be enough. The only way I see him in green is via a sign and trade. We could use Nate or Marquis perhaps. That would happen later in the summer, after the big fish have been reeled in.

The Blazers would be responsible for all the money in Gomes' buyout. Then he is a free agent.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:29 am

I know he is not the big man or part of the "big man" shopping expedition that Danny is going on. I, too, was a huge Ryan Gomes fan before they traded him.
As I understand it, Danny held on to him for as long as he could, but they needed one more player to complete the deal for KG. I waited all day hoping he was not going to be the "throw in" the needed. The kid plays much bigger than his size. He is around the rim rebounding all the time, ala, Leon. I kind of figured it would be a tough fit, but thanks for explaining it to me! I can always hope that we can still get a guy of his quality, not only on the court but off.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:23 am

Where is T-Mac gonna end up?

I heard rumours about coming off the laker bench.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down