Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card

4 posters

Go down

Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card Empty Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:46 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-101719-walker-believes-defense-will-be-celtics-calling-card?sf221698445=1

Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card

By Taylor C. Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
October 17, 2019

BOSTON – There were plenty of positives that came out of Boston’s four-game sweep of the preseason, but there was one area of play that stood out above all others to Kemba Walker and his Celtics teammates: their defense.

Defense just so happens to be the area in which many NBA pundits believed the Celtics would find difficulty this season, but Walker and Co. have seen nothing but promise on that end of the court through the first two and a half weeks of preseason.

“I think we have a lot of potential defensively,” Walker said Thursday afternoon following practice at the Celtics’ training facility. “I think that’s going to be our calling card to get us over the hump in games this season. I think as long as we’re locked in defensively, we’ll have a chance to win any game that we’re in.”

Boston provided a consistent taste of that defensive potential throughout its four-game preseason slate. Three of the Celtics’ four opponents failed to reach the 100-point mark, including two that didn’t even exceed 75.

As such, Boston wound up surrendering the fewest preseason points and assists of all 30 NBA teams. It also led in defensive rating, finished second in both opponent field goal percentage and 3-point percentage, as well as second in blocked shots and third in forced turnovers.

Cleveland forward Larry Nance Jr., whose Cavaliers faced the Celtics twice during the preseason, attributed Boston’s defensive dominance to its length at the wing position.

"You know, they're a pretty big team," Nance said following a 118-72 loss to the C’s Sunday afternoon. "You know, obviously (Jaylen) Brown, (Jayson) Tatum, (Gordon) Hayward on the wings is not easy. This is historically a really good defensive team, so I assume they're going to be that this year."

Outside of the wing position, however, the Celtics are quite small. Three of their guards are actually 6-foot or under, which one may think would give Boston a disadvantage on the defensive end.

Six-foot rookie guard Carsen Edwards believes otherwise.

“Everyone out here, they give everything they have,” said Edwards, who dazzled during the final preseason game by knocking down nine 3-pointers, while also providing a tenacious defensive effort. “That’s something that Brad kind of pushes on us to make sure that, regardless of how (our play on) the offensive end goes, that we make an impact on defense and be consistent that way, and everything else will kind of fall into place.”

The key to making such a defensive impact falls on the team’s willingness and ability to work together and having all five players committed to playing on a string. That will be easier said than done following the losses of veteran frontcourt defenders Aron Baynes and Al Horford, but it sure won’t be impossible.

“I think chemistry is a huge part of that,” Stevens said of building defensive habits following Boston’s first preseason game on Oct. 6. “Being accountable with each other and getting to know each other … I think that we understand that we have to figure out that end.”

So far on the defensive end, the C’s couldn’t be off to a much better start.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card Empty Re: Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card

Post by dboss Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:16 pm

The Celtics have played average to below average teams in 4 preseason games.

Any conclusion or inference regarding their defense should be reserved for actual regular season play.

Through the end of November they play 11 out of 19 on the road and there are some very good teams in that mix.  

If they are playing around .500 ball by the end of next month, I will be very pleased.   

I believe that they will play hard on the defensive end.  I hope those guys like Walker and Kanter, that have never been considered good defenders, are able to execute better at the defensive end than they have throughout their entire careers..
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card Empty Re: Walker Believes Defense Will be Celtics' Calling Card

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:48 am

Music to my ears
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:59 am

The defense does look smothering at this point. Again, against crappy teams even I look good. We'll know all we need to know come Wednesday.

PHI is expecting a pushover. Let's hope it's a wake up call for them!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down