Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford

5 posters

Go down

Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford Empty Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:32 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-spotlight-its-all-about-future-oft-injured-romeo-langford

Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford

By A. Sherrod Blakely

October 22, 2019 6:45 PM

Romeo Langford didn’t have any preconceived ideas of how his early days as an NBA player.

But this is certainly not what he had in mind.

After healing up from a thumb injury suffered in college, Langford was out for summer league and limited in some capacity for most of training camp with a groin injury and later, a knee sprain.

Those setbacks have created this narrative in the minds of many that the 19-year-old — while talented — can’t stay healthy enough to see that talent through which makes him one of the bigger mysteries on the Celtics roster.

It’s a successful season for Langford if…

...he can carve out a role as a change-of-pace playmaker off Boston’s bench. A solidly built 6-foot-6 wing, Langford’s versatility gives Boston a plug-and-play option with the skills to play multiple positions. He shot the ball poorly in college, in part because of torn ligaments in his right (shooting hand) thumb. It's an injury that Langford still managed to play with for the final 24 games of the season. In limited playing time with the Celtics, he has shown himself to have a good feel for how to get into the lane and finish at the rim due to a 216-pound frame that he uses well once in the paint.

It’s a disappointing season for Langford if …

...injuries prevent him from playing close to the promise he showed two years ago as one of the best high school players to come out of Indiana. Multiple health setbacks prevented Langford from playing in summer league and limited him to just two preseason games. Because of that, expectations are low as to what Langford will contribute to the Celtics this season.

2019-2020 Outlook

The injuries that have sidelined Romeo Langford by and large have been minor; just enough to keep him off the floor, unfortunately. But with the games coming fast and furious in the NBA relative to what Langford experienced in his lone season in college at Indiana, this season is going to be more about lessons learned than playing for the youngest member of the Celtics roster. And that’s OK. Because the upside with Langford’s game is great enough to where the Celtics can bring him along slowly, knowing that the experience gained through the rigors of the NBA schedule combined with his immense potential talent-wise, gives hope that in time Langford can be a key contributor to this franchise’s quest to get back in the hunt for Banner 18 soon.

bob
MY NOTE:  My gut says Romeo's season will be closer to a disappointment than a success precisely because his injuries have kept him off the floor.  Summer league and pre-season are HUGELY impactful on rookies.  I have to keep reminding myself, though, that I'm feeling pretty good about this team, including the rookies, even though our top draft pick isn't even included in my calculations...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 am

Your last sentence is a huge statement, bobh.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: It's all about the future for oft-injured Romeo Langford

Post by dboss Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 pm

I am not concerned about minor injuries.

I am only concerned about his broke down jumper.

A successful season in my opinion would be for him to become a better perimeter shooter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:08 pm

I just hope we don't regret not getting Tyler Herro. I don't remember the specifics but I think we had the chance to get him and so far he was very good in summer league and actually heard someone predict him as rookie of the year. Thats probably a stretch but he has been impressive.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Tardust,

I believe Herro went with the pick before Langford.

The more we see, the more I think Langford was a long-shot gamble. A reach taken by the Celtics because their draft strategy was for depth. They knew players like G Williams and Edwards weren't likely to get taken until late, so they could go with Langford as high as they did and still get what they wanted out of the draft. Langford's press coming out of high school was big, but he was limited in comparison during his year of college ball. If they picked right, and he's not just a high-school flash, they have a decent wing that fell in the draft unjustly. If he flames out, no harm done since they still improved the bench with a couple of players that could be around long-term. Smart. My wild guess as to what went on anyway.

So no Herro. But, hey! We did have Ty Jerome, with the 24th pick, for a minute and 20 seconds!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:33 pm

tardust wrote:I just hope we don't regret not getting Tyler Herro.  I don't remember the specifics but I think we had the chance to get him and so far he was very good in summer league and actually heard someone predict him as rookie of the year.  Thats probably a stretch but he has been impressive.

The Heat snatched him up before the Celts pick. He reminds me of JJ Reddick.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Ah it was Jerome who I was thinking about. Still wish we could have had Herro.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:55 pm

tardust wrote:Ah   it was Jerome who I was thinking about.  Still wish we could have had Herro.

Jerome was one of the non-forwards I wanted. Started questioning Danny's mental capacity when they took Langford with Jerome available, began praising Danny as a genius when they then picked Jerome, and then went back to calling Danny names when Jerome immediately got dealt. Sometimes it's a rough road being a fan on draft night!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down