Boston Celtics Tacko Fall makes NBA debut: ’I just tried to keep my cool'

2 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics Tacko Fall makes NBA debut: ’I just tried to keep my cool' Empty Boston Celtics Tacko Fall makes NBA debut: ’I just tried to keep my cool'

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:30 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/boston-celtics-tacko-fall-makes-nba-debut-i-just-tried-to-keep-my-cool.html

Boston Celtics Tacko Fall makes NBA debut: ’I just tried to keep my cool'

Updated Oct 26, 2019; Posted Oct 26, 2019

Boston Celtics Tacko Fall makes NBA debut: ’I just tried to keep my cool' XXFWK5FOZ5BTVKLQX5B6NMQE3M
NEW YORK, NEW YORK - OCTOBER 26: Tacko Fall #99 of the Boston Celtics looks on during the second half of their game against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden on October 26, 2019 in New York City. (Photo by Emilee Chinn/Getty Images)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

NEW YORK -- “They don’t usually cheer for Celtics here.”

It might have been new for the New York reporter pointing a microphone at Tacko Fall, but a lot of things that don’t normally happen tend to happen around the Celtics rookie. Why should Madison Square Garden be immune from the phenomenon?

Late in what ultimately became a 118-95 Boston Celtics win over the New York Knicks, the MSG crowd took a break from demoralizing Dennis Smith, Jr. with “We want Frank” (Ntilikina, the young guard bench in his favor, if you’re not aware) chants to join in with the Celtics fans chanting “we want Tacko!”

John Karalis 🇬🇷
✔
@RedsArmy_John
"WE WANT TACKO"

https://twitter.com/RedsArmy_John/status/1188272337432600576
6:52 PM - Oct 26, 2019

“I don’t know if anybody not drafted in the top three feels the type of stuff he feels when he touches the ball,” Brad Stevens said after the game. “I just want people to appreciate him for what kind of a kid he is, and how hard he’s working to make it in the NBA. Everybody is yelling because of his size. I get it, every time he walks in the room I say man, he’s tall, under my breath, but at the same time I hope people do appreciate him for how hard he’s working.”

In a span of 21 seconds, Fall had two dunks. The only Knick to make more than two baskets off the bench was Bobby Portis, who made three in 27 minutes.

“It was unbelievable. All throughout the game I really didn’t know what was going to happen and then once the score kept going up I was thinking ‘this might be go time,’" Fall said. "You just dream of this moment. For me, it happening here at the Garden, in front of all these people, hopefully it will be soon a the TD Garden in Boston, but it felt amazing. Just going out there and trying to have fun and enjoy the moment.”

Each touch, brought anticipation. Each dunk drew loud cheers, but none were louder than the ones coming from the Celtics bench.

“We’re trying to support each other, and we understand Tacko is a unique person – 7-6 and you don’t find that often,” Marcus Smart said. “We want to show him that we’re here for him and support him. If we can encourage any of those guys we will. When we heard them screaming for Tacko we all joined in, especially me. I’m a big fan of Tacko.”

So is Kemba Walker.

“We love Tacko, man. He’s a great dude," Walker said. "Everything he’s gained, he deserves. We love him. He works hard, man. Happy for him.”

They were so happy, all four of his teammates on the floor stood and watched when Fall got the ball in the post. When asked if he wished some of the moved so he could pass, Falls said No I was trying to go. If they came to double I definitely would have passed it. But 1-on-1, if I passed it everyone would have gotten mad at me because they know 1-on-1 in the post, I better go and score it. And they wanted me to do it.”

Fall even mixed in a running hook shot and a fadeaway. It’s all part of the Celtics plan to keep him working on all facets of his game. Assistant coach Jay Larranaga has Fall going through workouts like a guard, which might seem weird for one of the tallest human beings on Earth.

“His philosophy is the more uncomfortable you are doing something, the easier other things may become,” Fall said. "So not necessarily that I’m going to go out there and do between the leg and step back, but all of that works on my balance, works on my footwork, work on just handling the ball will help other aspects of my game.”

He joked about becoming a 50 percent 3-point shooter by January. There may be a day where he takes one. If he makes it, the structural integrity of whatever building the Celtics are playing in will be tested.

For now, Fall can just focus on the dunking. He has one NBA game under his belt in what has already been an unexpected dream of a season. Maybe the hardest part of it all was not letting the magnitude of what was happening show up on the court.

“I just tried to keep my cool and finish out the game."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Tacko Fall makes NBA debut: ’I just tried to keep my cool' Empty Re: Boston Celtics Tacko Fall makes NBA debut: ’I just tried to keep my cool'

Post by wideclyde Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Congratulations to Mr. Fall!

Four points will not be the only points he gets as an NBA player, but it is still four more than most of us wannabee players.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down