Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9

+2
cowens/oldschool
dboss
6 posters

Go down

Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9 Empty Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9

Post by dboss Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:02 pm

All honors to all the veterans who have sacrificed so much for our freedom and our values.  A personal thanks goes out to my Uncle Harry who fought in Sicily, France and Germany under General Patton and my dad William who fought in France and Germany and my nephew Gregory, Special Forces, Afghanistan.

About The Game 

The Celtics return to the TD Gardens on Monday to face the Dallas Mavericks.

Luka Doncic has far exceeded anything I imagined.  He's 20 freakin years old and plays like a veteran.

The numbers pop off the page.  27 PPG, 9.1 assists, 10.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game. 

His sidekick Kristaps Porzingis has recovered from his ACL injury and has been playing very well.  He is averaging 20.1 PPG with 8.3 rebounds and 2.6 blocks.

They are tied for 3rd place in the West with a 6-3 record. 

Other contributors include center Maxi Kieber, PF Dwight Powell (I liked him during his very brief time with the Celtics)
Tim Hardaway Jr and Dorian Finney-Smith are two wings.  Seth Curry is the designated sniper and both Delon Wright and Jalen Brunson are fixtures in the rotation.

The Mavs rebound well and they can pass and shoot.  But can they defend at a high level?   I think not as they are giving up 112 PPG.

Doncic has been playing great but there remains a few question marks despite the overall quality of his play.  He is shooting 32% from deep on 8.7 attempts per game and his A/TO ratio is a very pedestrian 1.9 as he turns the ball over almost 5 times per game.  Leave it to me to find something not quite right.  Defensively he is fair.

Keys To Winning

Doncic is a crafty ball handler.  He has more moves than Allied Vans.  He is physical enough to absorb hits.  You have to stay in front of him because once he breaks you down off the bounce it really opens up his passing game.  He has a Harden like step back 3 point shot.

Porzingis is a quality big man.  The Celtics need to be real physical with him.  Keep him off the glass and limit his touches

The Celtics need to execute at both ends.  You know the drill.  Defend the perimeter and rotate on the PNR and the pop.  Control the glass, move the ball, limit the turnovers and get out and run.

Look for Smart and Brown to match up with Doncic.  He is clearly the key.  Contain him and you win.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9 Empty Re: Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Should be great game, can’t wait to see how we defend Doncic with Smart, Brown and Tatum, in a wing dominated league, we are really built to defend wings. Also looking forward to see how Timelord does against the Unicorn, tomorrow night will be a good test.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9 Empty Re: Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9

Post by dboss Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Should be great game, can’t wait to see how we defend Doncic with Smart, Brown and Tatum, in a wing dominated league, we are really built to defend wings. Also looking forward to see how Timelord does against the Unicorn, tomorrow night will be a good test.

Cow

It is great to see so many of the young players on this team develop

Robert Williams is on the road to becoming an important player on this team. He has a long road ahead.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:37 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Should be great game, can’t wait to see how we defend Doncic with Smart, Brown and Tatum, in a wing dominated league, we are really built to defend wings. Also looking forward to see how Timelord does against the Unicorn, tomorrow night will be a good test.

Cow

It is great to see so many of the young players on this team develop

Robert Williams is on the road to becoming an important player on this team.  He has a long road ahead.  
True dboss he does have a long road, but heard a quote from Danny during camp, he said of Tatum something to the effect that JT was embracing the work that has to be put in to be a great player. I had said last year, Tatum needs to work all summer on his long ball, it seems that work is already paying off. Seems after the wasted Kelly O pick, Danny has been drafting prime time athletes, if he’s gonna miss, don’t miss because the player is not athletic enough. I like that philosophy....if Robert Williams keeps working/developing, scary how much he could help this already stacked young team going forward.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:20 pm

The KO pick was Danny's biggest Draft mistake.  But I do not want to think about what could have been.  Danny hit home runs drafting Marcus, Jaylen and Jason.  Will be interesting to see how RW from last year's draft and the guys from this  draft class work out.  RW is on the verge of being our starting center.  Maybe next year he will get that job.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 pm

dboss wrote:The KO pick was Danny's biggest Draft mistake.  But I do not want to think about what could have been.  Danny hit home runs drafting Marcus, Jaylen and Jason.  Will be interesting to see how RW from last year's draft and the guys from this  draft class work out.  RW is on the verge of being our starting center.  Maybe next year he will get that job.
He could get it this year down the road....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:32 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:The KO pick was Danny's biggest Draft mistake.  But I do not want to think about what could have been.  Danny hit home runs drafting Marcus, Jaylen and Jason.  Will be interesting to see how RW from last year's draft and the guys from this  draft class work out.  RW is on the verge of being our starting center.  Maybe next year he will get that job.
He could get it this year down the road....

I'm hoping after the All Star break.

Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9 Logo_f11
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 am

dboss,

Although the has nothing to do with the game tonight against Dallas, the guy Ainge drafted out of Syracuse a few years ago was the worst of all of his draft picks. At least Kelly O was at least a serviceable NBA player.

Tonight Doncic will get his points, but the Cs must find a way to severely limit Porzingus' scoring to have a much better chance to win this game.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 am

Luka is special, and a lot of fun to watch.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:44 am

bobheckler wrote:Luka is special, and a lot of fun to watch.

bob

He is special and he’s not an Uber freak athlete, reminds me of a combo of Pierce and Larry Bird, and that’s high praise.

Will be fun tonight, he will be going against our best, so will be big test for him too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 am

I don't know. MS likes a challenge. Doncic will be putty in his hands. I would imagine Smart is starting. Is Enes coming back tonight? Thought I heard that somewhere. I'm going to play my bet that Doncic will have his worst game of the year tonight.

This game will be more like I was expecting the SAS game to be. Both West teams are playoff bound. It will be close. I'm guessing the line is BOS-2. Let me check...Close..should have been a bookie...BOS-3.5.

What's to watch tonight is our bench and Brad. How do they respond to the temporary blaring hole left by Hayward's absence. The only starter I'd be watching and concerned about in a good way is JB. He could go off for 40 tonight easily. He could literally make up for all of GH's stats. He's playing like he's trying to prove right out of the gate Boston is getting their money's worth. What a treat! Better lock down JT soon GMDA!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am

wideclyde wrote:dboss,

Although the has nothing to do with the game tonight against Dallas, the guy Ainge drafted out of Syracuse a few years ago was the worst of all of his draft picks.  At least Kelly O was at least a serviceable NBA player.

Tonight Doncic will get his points, but the Cs must find a way to severely limit Porzingus' scoring to have a much better chance to win this game.

Now you have forced me to tell you what I really think.  The predraft analysis on KO was spot on.  Slow laterally limited athleticism could not rebound out of position.  SHORT arms.  Danny jumped over Giannis to get KO.

I do not want to hear about what other teams did.  Danny traded up and still missed.  Talent wise Melo was horrible but missing on Giannis and drafting KO is like making 2 mistakes at once because you traded up.

Last edited by dboss on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 am

The key to winning is all about Doncic. The Mavs play through him.

He's the head of the snake.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 am

And I'll bet my wife's paycheck MS has a machete sharpened and ready.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 am

I think we will see the Celtics rotate different guys on Doncic. Smart, Brown and Tatum will get their turn.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:42 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/robert-williams-201844788.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 am

Something's amiss with NBA Power Rankings. LAL still #1 after losing at home to TOR? I say, "Come on, man!" We just creep up one spot at a time?! And have the best record in the league?! WTH, Bo!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am

Jay King @ByJayKing
now
Enes Kanter just fist pumped after meeting with the training staff. “They just cleared me,” he said. “So I’m good to go tonight.”

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm

With Hayward out of the lineup the dynamic of him playing up top on the pick and rolls must be addressed.  Marcus slides into the lineup and will facilitate the offense along with Kemba.  However both Tatum and Brown will need to become lead guys in running the offense.  

The offense is interchangeable.  In other words, multiple guys can do many of the same things.

Tatum and Brown can also play up top on those high screens and both can take it off the bounce and get to the rim.  But they also need to use their ball handling skills to open up passing lanes.

There should be very little change in the Celtics offense.  The bench takes a hit however it also affords an opportunity for some rarely used guys to become part of the rotation.  Green is a flat out athlete that is a great fit in an uptempo game.  Romeo Langford needs to be in the game tonight.  He is a legit wing with developing skills that just needs an opportunity to play.

Theis and RW have done a good job protecting the paint.  Kanter is available and VP has yet to see any significant playing time.  Kanter should come off the bench since his presence could alter the chemistry established over the past 7 games.  

I would make sure that DT and RW do not take a backseat.

I would really like to see Boston play more uptempo basketball.  They have the athletes to run the other team off the court.

The big key to Boston's fast start has been their defense.  Hayward was also playing well at that end of the court.  Look for guys to step up.  Look for JT and JB to see an uptick in minutes and look for a guy to come off the bench and become a solid contributor to the team's success.  Grant Williams should see rotation minutes at PF. 

Last edited by dboss on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Something's amiss with NBA Power Rankings.  LAL still #1 after losing at home to TOR?  I say, "Come on, man!"  We just creep up one spot at a time?!  And have the best record in the league?!  WTH, Bo!!

db

DBrown,

Ask and ye shall receive...

Mavericks @ Celtics Monday November 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM EST Game #9 EJG_QBSWoAMRqeZ

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm

That's better BobH! Where did you find those?!! Not off ESPN I can assure you!! They are still having delusions of grandeur!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm

dbrown4 wrote:That's better BobH!  Where did you find those?!!  Not off ESPN I can assure you!!  They are still having delusions of grandeur!!

db

db,

John Karalis @RedsArmy_John
about 42 minutes ago
I think you guys will like the new NBA.com power rankings pic.twitter.com/ufM9dImkSb

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Something's amiss with NBA Power Rankings.  LAL still #1 after losing at home to TOR?  I say, "Come on, man!"  We just creep up one spot at a time?!  And have the best record in the league?!  WTH, Bo!!

db
In the end these rankings are partly influenced by a team's record and the perception of the team.

In some respects rankings are meaningless at this stage in the season although teams like the Knicks are not likely to move up much.

I look at how a team plays against different levels of competition.  How they play on the road.  How they play in B2B games and how they play at home.  As the season progresses numbers gain a high measure of credibility.

So far Boston is off to a fantastic start having won 3/4 against .500 and above team and having won 4/5 on the road and going 3-0 at home.  They are also 4-0 against the scrubs.  Those are really impressive numbers.  We have an extended 5 game road trip coming up.  That will help me to better judge how good this team can be.

Right now they remind me of the 2017-18 team in terms of how well our two young studs are playing.  The difference however is that our two young studs have gotten a lot better.  I see the same defensive discipline.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Agreed, dboss.  They are kind of silly at this level.  I was subtly hinting at the death grip ESPN has on LAL. They will soon be inevitably faced with the unwelcome and uncomfortable task of rearranging the deck chairs.

db

P.S. One week from today starts the Suns, Clippers and Nuggets away games! That will just about answer everything for us IMHBAO.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:39 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Agreed, dboss.  They are kind of silly at this level.  I was subtly hinting at the death grip ESPN has on LAL. They will soon be inevitably faced with the unwelcome and uncomfortable task of rearranging the deck chairs.

db

P.S.  One week from today starts the Suns, Clippers and Nuggets away games!  That will just about answer everything for us IMHBAO.
db

stars sell tickets and stars push the ratings.

The talking heads have been so enthralled with the LA teams that they completely underestimated what is happening in Boston.   

That is a good thing for us.

There is a ton of competition in the East.   Boston could come out of the East.  We'll know more further into the season.  LAL could come out of the West.  A Celtics/Lakers final would blow the ratings out of the water.  I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.  But I cannot help but sneak a peak into the future.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down