Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line

+3
NYCelt
mrkleen09
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line Empty Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:04 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/larry-bird-offers-thoughts-nba-215513997.html

Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line

Justin Leger, NBC Sports Boston

20 hours ago

The NBA has gone through its fair share of changes since Larry Bird donned a Celtics uniform, and the Hall of Famer is open to seeing it change even more.

Bird entered the league in 1979, the same year in which the 3-point line was introduced. At that time, 3-point attempts were a rarity. In today's game, they're a necessity.

Appearing Wednesday on WEEI's "Ordway, Merloni & Fauria," Bird explained how players from his era would have adapted if 3-point shots became more prevalent.

"Obviously, we'd be taking more 3-pointers because that's where the game evolving," Bird told WEEI. "You know, back in the day, we wouldn't even guard guys out beyond the 3-point line. And very few games looked at the basket from 23 to 25 feet.

"But the game has changed and the game goes through periods where it changes and you just have to adapt to the changes. And that's what we would've done, we would adapt. I can remember back in the day Danny Ainge said we should shoot all 3-pointers every game."

With seemingly every current NBA player not named Ben Simmons possessing or developing a 3-point shot, the next step could be the addition of a 4-point line. In fact, teams such as the Philadelphia 76ers and Atlanta Hawks already have added 4-point lines on their practice courts.

Bird can see the change being made to speed up the game somewhere down the line.

"It's definitely a major change, but you can remember 10 or 15 years ago, they moved the 3-point line up and, eventually, they got smart about it and moved it back," Bird said. "But a 4-point line wouldn't make much difference.

"I think the problem with that would be guys shooting a lot of air balls and a lot more fast breaks, but it really doesn't matter. The league is always looking at ways to speed the game up and score more points. If they did it, I wouldn't be surprised. But, I like the game where it is now and it's doing fine."

As big of a change it would be, the NBA wouldn't be the first league to implement a 4-point line. It's become a staple in the BIG3.

bob
MY NOTE:  Why not just make half court shots be worth 5 points?  And if you get fouled when you take the half-courter, and it still goes in, the frito is worth 3 points?  Time to wake up and smell the sarcasm...

I've been saying we shouldn't be comparing eras since the earth cooled and have tried to stay out of those threads every time they start here.  The idea of a 4-point shot makes it even clearer to me I'm onto something.  Records will mean nothing since a new rule now gives you the chance of adding to your totals.  20 ppg being the general level to be considered for an All-Star berth will have to be moved up closer to 25.  Jerry West averaged 25 ppg, and that was without a 3pt line. Imagine if he not only had a 3pt line but a 4pt line.  Maravich would be the #1 scorer in the history of the NBA with those and nobody would ever come close to replacing him. Offensive rebounding numbers will go up as we get longer rebounds from the longer misses, with guards becoming the team's leading rebounders.  Somewhere, Moses Malone is seething.  PnRs will be set in the back court so as to free up the shooters for a Hail Mary 3/4 shot (more sarcasm).

I don't watch much NFL anymore, I prefer rugby, because of all the rule changes.  I used to watch any NBA game, now I watch the Celtics, occasionally the Dubs, and that's about it.  I love our Celtics, but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the NBA trend.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line Empty Re: Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:  I used to watch any NBA game...I love our Celtics, but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the NBA trend.  [/b]

100% agree. I actually watch more soccer than basketball these days. They have a fast game, with great athletes and it is over in 2 hours on the dot.

I cannot think of anything worse than watching the Houston Rockets vs the Wizards with over 300 points scored. Just not the game I fell in love with.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line Empty Re: Larry Bird offers thoughts on NBA potentially adding 4-point line

Post by NYCelt Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:29 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:   I used to watch any NBA game...I love our Celtics, but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the NBA trend.  [/b]

100% agree.  I actually watch more soccer than basketball these days.  They have a fast game, with great athletes and it is over in 2 hours on the dot.

I cannot think of anything worse than watching the Houston Rockets vs the Wizards with over 300 points scored.  Just not the game I fell in love with.

Amen.

Hence my own preference for NCAA men's hoops.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:36 pm

[quote="mrkleen09"]
bobheckler wrote:    Just not the game I fell in love with.

It is looking less and less familiar isn't it?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Go All Blacks!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:28 pm

I was a big fan of the NBA back in the 50's and have continued down through the decades - I have nba league pass so I get to watch a ton of games every year. Sometimes you just have to let go of the GOOD OLD DAYS syndrome.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Sure am enjoying the Celts this year.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:02 pm

The game certainly has changed and I have adjusted as a fan but man I have to agree with Kleen and Bob and NYCelt and Marty.

I refuse to watch the Houston Rockets unless they are playing the Celtics.  They are the poster child for what is god awful wrong with the game today.  

Fact is they are not fun to watch.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Houston basketball. Yecch.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down