Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname

4 posters

Go down

Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname Empty Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:49 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/replacing-robert-williams-minutes-celtics-should-stick-surname

Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname

By Chris Forsberg

December 16, 2019 2:20 PM

BOSTON — After the Boston Celtics wrapped practice Monday, veteran big man Enes Kanter and rookie Grant Williams huddled for some 1-on-1 work.

Maybe Williams got the call because Kanter’s typical sparring opponent, Vincent Poirier, was dealing with a jammed finger that forced him to seek an X-ray. But, on the same day the Celtics announced that Robert Williams would be out indefinitely with bone edema in his left hip, it probably wasn’t the worst thing for Grant Williams to get some extra post reps against one of the team’s top bigs.

The rookie is likely in line for an uptick in minutes with Robert Williams sidelined. The Celtics said that Robert Williams will be reevaluated in three weeks with coach Brad Stevens suggesting the team is hopeful a period of inactivity will help alleviate what’s been a lingering issue for Robert Williams this season.

Robert Williams has already missed the past three games while the team sought multiple opinions on the hip issue and he will miss at least 10 more games over that three-week span. While both Kanter and Daniel Theis have logged the lion’s share of minutes at the center position recently — and done a solid job — the team will need some of its younger bigs to defray some of that load moving forward.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

"It’s tough, man. [Robert Williams is] a tough young player,” said Kemba Walker. 'He’s been developing really well. Especially his presence in the paint, on both ends of the floor, he was definitely big for us and we definitely miss him.”

How does Boston fill that void? More small ball, and that could mean more time for Grant Williams.

The rookie has struggled with his shot — shooting just 25 percent overall and missing his first 25 3-pointers before making one earlier this month — and his size has made it tough to play him consistently (he logged a DNP in Boston’s loss to Philadelphia last week).

But the Celtics might not have a better option now. While Theis and Kanter have been excellent, showing that Boston doesn’t necessarily need to upgrade its big-man position before the trade deadline, there’s still room for another change-of-pace big. Without Robert Williams and his rim-running ways, it might be time for Stevens to lean heavily on the undersized Grant Williams and figure out if he’s a sustainable option moving forward.

Grant Williams’ shooting has to improve, but there’s little doubt that will come with time. The rookie needs to focus on doing the little things — setting good screens, showcasing his passing without turning the ball over, and making the hustle plays that have earned him the Mini-Me comparisons to Marcus Smart.

The eventual return of Smart — dealing with an infection that has spread to both of his eyes now — will give the Celtics another body they can confidently throw at bigs. But after a downturn in his minutes recently, this feels like a chance for Grant Williams to really establish himself as a key rotation presence.

As many pundits suggest Boston needs more at the big-man position, Walker is confident in what he’s seen from Boston’s groups of diverse bigs.

"I don’t read a lot of stuff. Everybody is going to have an opinion about something. But I love our bigs, man,” said Walker. "I love what they do for us. We have so much on the perimeter, guys who can really score at a high clip, and we just have bigs who really kinda sacrifice themselves for us.

"Those guys, they don’t touch the ball much, they don’t complain about it. They just come and do their job. There’s not many bigs like that. Those guys are super selfless, willing to help us get baskets and do the small things to help us win. I love our bigs.”

One other option, if the Celtics need more pure size at center in Robert Williams’ absence, is to call up 2-way big man Tacko Fall. The Celtics have 45 total days to utilize Fall on the parent roster and he could add depth in a pinch. The Celtics want him to get as much playing time in Maine as possible so a call-up would only likely occur if the team thought there was a strong chance he might be needed.

bob
MY NOTE:  I want to believe GWill is working out with Kanter because Poirier is hurt and not because Brad is enamored with Williams @ 5 (picture The Cowardly Lion, with his eyes closed, repeating "I do believe in ghosts, I do believe in ghosts!" even though he really doesn't want to).    I'd rather see Semi @ smallball 5 than Williams.

P. S. The reason why I have not been around as much is because I'm not around.  Hola de Buenos Aires!  I leave today to spend the rest of this week in Argentina's wine country.  It's a tough job but I'm all about taking one for the team.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname Empty Re: Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname

Post by dboss Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Theis and Kanter can each log around 24 MPG.  That gives you 48 MPG at center.

I see no good reason why Grant Williams should play 5.  I thought maybe he could play some 4.  But he is too short and too nonathletic to play center.

I thought he would be able to make his mark as a rebounder given his girth and his physical strength but opponents outjump him unless he has absolutely perfect positioning.  He has no post up game on the block against bigger defenders and he has zero touch on the perimeter.  

He needs to be sent up to Maine where he can work on his shooting skills in particular.  If a trade opportunity popped up I would move him and one of our late round picks for a proven PF that can strengthen our bench rotations.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname Empty Re: Replacing Robert Williams' minutes? Celtics should stick with the surname

Post by worcester Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 pm

GWill at the 5? Ugh!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Maybe we'll see Tacko.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down