Post Game Thread - vs Hornets, Home 12/23/19

+3
cowens/oldschool
worcester
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Hornets, Home 12/23/19 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Hornets, Home 12/23/19

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 pm

I'm in a nice place in Buenos Aires but, unfortunately, my internet connect was so slow I never got to see a single possession.  It just hung and hung and hung and I couldn't watch the game which pissed me off.

A 27 point 2nd half for Tatum.  11-18, 9 rebounds.  This is why Tatum would probably be picked as the All-Star over Jaylen Brown.  Tatum has these big nights that make Sportcenter and snap your head up.  Jaylen is a grinder.  He has become very solid, very dependable but I've yet to see a game where he is just unstoppable and drops a ton on the other team and that's what gets peoples' attention and the ASG nod.  I'm not saying it's fair or right.  I'm a big fan of Jaylen's but we know this league feeds a lot off of "potential".  19 year old kids coming out of college, just one year out of High School, and everybody's ooohing and ahhhing over them because of their "potential".  20 ppg like clockwork is "nice", but 39/12 makes every highlight film that night and everybody sees that.

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
59 minutes ago
Romeo Langford said the NBA actually feels slower than the G-League.

reply retweet like

Holy Crap!!  GWill's has finally broken the seal and Romeo thinks that the NBA is "slow"?!  We might actually have a bench!

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161082

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Hornets, Home 12/23/19 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Hornets, Home 12/23/19

Post by worcester Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Wow. What a game on so many levels. This IS the most fun team to watch in the NBA, and just watch what happens when RWill, Gordon, and Marcus rejoin this crew of pirates.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Hornets, Home 12/23/19 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Hornets, Home 12/23/19

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Jayson Tatum with a real big coming out party, in a Pierce/Kobe like zone in the 4th, went 9-13 FG for 21 points!!! Jeez I hate that bob heckler made me have to pick only one of 2 J’s for the all star game on the other thread on 2 J’s. Anyway it’s official the kid is an absolute stone cold killer and might be the best defensive game he ever played too, was blocking shots like Anthony Davis. Even though it was close early kept telling my son it’s coming, we’re gonna blow them out, then boom boom bam boom bam....what a highlight reel!!! GWill is hitting everything, the light bulb is on, he also has great timing on blocking shots, 18 last game, 12 tonight on 5-6 FG. Jaylen with a grinding efficient effort, after Graham went off in first Jaylen hunkered down defensively and took him out of his game. Teams with smallish backcourts just cannot match up with us, one of the little guys has to cover one of 2 J’s and it’s too easy and not fair. For a team with 3 main pieces out, we sure look unbelievably good. Tacko played and continues to look like a player to be at some point. We are so jelling, great to see!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:17 am

Tatum was in 'The Zone'

Career high. He was unstoppable. Scored from everywhere on the court.

Solid contributions from the bench. Romeo I think made at least 2 three pointers and his defense was very solid.

I see no reason why he should spend time up in Maine.

Big competition coming in Toronto where the Celtics rarely win.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:32 am

I don't understand why there has to be a comparison on Jayson and Jalen. It seems most here want Jalen to be the better player so bad and every game no matter what Jayson does Jalen's name comes into the conversation, and any mistake Jayson makes gets brought up.

Newsflash, Jalen doesn't have to be better. Its OK to have two very good wing players. I am very happy to have both of these guys but its like we have to take sides on these players. I don't like that. I had no problem having McHale and Bird. One guy was better but the other guys was great also. I just wish we could be just as happy when Jayson does something good as we are when Jalen does something.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:46 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Jayson Tatum with a real big coming out party, in a Pierce/Kobe like zone in the 4th, went 9-13 FG for 21 points!!! Jeez I hate that bob heckler made me have to pick only one of 2 J’s for the all star game on the other thread on 2 J’s. Anyway it’s official the kid is an absolute stone cold killer and might be the best defensive game he ever played too, was blocking shots like Anthony Davis. Even though it was close early kept telling my son it’s coming, we’re gonna blow them out, then boom boom bam boom bam....what a highlight reel!!! GWill is hitting everything, the light bulb is on, he also has great timing on blocking shots, 18 last game, 12 tonight on 5-6 FG. Jaylen with a grinding efficient effort, after Graham went off in first Jaylen hunkered down defensively and took him out of his game. Teams with smallish backcourts just cannot match up with us, one of the little guys has to cover one of 2 J’s and it’s too easy and not fair. For a team with 3 main pieces out, we sure look unbelievably good. Tacko played and continues to look like a player to be at some point. We are so jelling, great to see!!!

Cow,

The reason why I posed that question on the other thread was:

1.  I do not believe they (the league) will let us have 3 All-Stars.  They will want to give some slots to small market teams so their fans can feel some pride, and it's not like Kemba/Jayson/Jaylen are SO overwhelmingly good they are like Bird/McHale/Chief or Pierce/KG/Allen.  Those other 3somes were very well known players, clearly elite players at their positions and perennial All-Stars already.  This is the Two J's coming out year.  I expect one of them to break through this year and next year the other will join him.

2.  I wanted to see if we could not just feel the joy of watching them but also to focus on their relative merits.  Get past the "Ooh" factor and look at specific areas where they excel against other players but also against each other.  Be critical but not criticize.

3.  I felt there wasn't enough stress in your life (Just Kidding).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:35 am

Bob I don’t really hate you, but both J’s deserve it and coaches pick the reserves, fans pick the starters, coaches discuss and ultimately choose the reserves. You mean to tell me all those coaches can’t see what we’re seeing and all hoops fans in general aren’t seeing? Not just astute fans like me can see how good and impactful Jaylen’s all around game is to winning. As great as Tatum has been playing, Brown has been equally huge and plays great D, mixes it up, and has carried us for stretches too, but Tatum’s D has been best of his career too. He just embraces the contact now in going for the ball on rebounds. Jeez I could see both of them making all defensive too, but Jaylen would probably get on that team first. There has got to be enough room for Jaylen on that AS team too, you can’t tell me there’s a more impactful wing or wings on that team in a winning situation that plays both ways, always going at the best offensive player than Jaylen.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 am

Didn't Golden State dominate at least one ASG? Curry, Thompson, Green, Kevin Durant? If they can have 3 that qualify, we can have 3 that qualify. End of discussion.

I hope we do get 3. We know two picks are guaranteed. Either way, NBA and ESPN will be in a pickle. If we have 3 that qualify and only two get in, it shows their hand of "You guys have won enough championships over the history of this league so it's time to let someone else be in the limelight forever," or if they give us 3, then they will do it begrudgingly and start a series a derogatory Celtic articles (not blatant but subtle) basically saying, "OK, you guys are good, but will never be good enough to beat MIL or our Golden Goose!!...And here's why.. You get my point.

I had to miss this game due to blackout being in NC. I thought with the passage of time and technology and enough money to go around that blackouts went the way of the 70's. We don't watch delayed games anymore. Is there any reason on God's green earth why I am penalized because I live in Raleigh and bozo fans in Charlotte don't buy enough tickets to sell it out so I can't see the game live? It just seems VERY archaic. Please someone, show me the error of my ways.

I hate to keep prefacing my comments with this, but when GH, RWill and MS are all finally back, we have 4 guys who can and have scored right around 40 ppg on any given night if needed. I'm thinking that just a little bit better than any recent GSW team's success. No other team even has anything remotely close to that. No one.

Something we are going to have to be once again. Going back to the 60's. Giant killers. Wilt we were 1-0. While the 80's were great. Kareem had our head-to-head number. 2-1. Pau Gasol and Kobe split with us in the 2000's. Of course some would rightfully say we were robbed in 2010 with Kendrick Perkins going down. But I digress.

First things first. We have to answer the question are we/will we be 3 games better than MIL. Then we can worry about the Finals and LAL/LAC.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:05 am

Also, close again to having 6 peeps in double figures. That's ridiculous Gus!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Glad to see Bob coming around on Grant Williams. Better late than never Laughing
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Me too mrkleen. Grant has really impressed me lately with his D, rebounding, defense, and scoring.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:50 pm

tardust wrote:I don't understand why there has to be a comparison on Jayson and Jalen.  It seems most here want Jalen to be the better player so bad and every game no matter what Jayson does  Jalen's name comes into the conversation, and any mistake Jayson makes gets brought up.

Newsflash, Jalen doesn't have to be better.  Its OK to have two very good wing players. I am very happy to have both of these guys but its like we have to take sides on these players.  I don't like that.  I had no problem having McHale and Bird.  One guy was better but the other guys was great also.  I just wish we could be just as happy when Jayson does something good as we are when Jalen does something.

Dust

Let me give you a few reasons why there are comparisons between Jaylen and Jason.  Cow started a great thread about them because both are great young and developing players.

Most of the comparisons have been documented under his thread:

What is amazing to me is:

both where #3 picks

Both were drafted by Boston in B2B yreas

Both are wings

Both can play multiple positions

Both have shown similar skills in scoring from all 3 levels

Both can defend

Both can rebound the basketball

Both are high character guys

Both have high basketball IQ's

Both represent building blocks for the Celtics franchise.

No one has to take sides on these players but since I have been an antagonist pointing out the disparities in the level of appreciation by both the media and some ill informed fans let me state that I love both these young pups.  Both of them reflect all of my hopes and dreams for the success of the Celtics and more banners.

Who is not happy with a career high for Jason?  He looked like everything people said he could be.  He has been an impressive young man but last night he was off the chain. He killed it.

I would suggest not to overreact to the whims of posters like myself who have a well established history of arguing on both sides and often taking a contrarian view of things.  

Dust...Jason Tatum is a bad mther ....er
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Dboss,  

I know I shouldn't let it bother me.  Maybe comparison is the wrong word.

I will say you have said nothing that has made me think you care one way or another as long as they are Celtics and I will let it be at that.  Like I said I am happy for both of them and while I am more a Tatum guy,  I do not care who is better.  I would love them to both be in the top 5 of the league which I think is quite possible.  They are fun to watch and are both SO YOUNG.  Both players got robbed of a year playing with Kyrie.  Especially Jalen.    I enjoy reading your posts very much as I do  everyone on this board.

I have been a Celtic fan in Texas for as long as most of you guys and gals and have never wavered.  I purchased a dish so I could watch every Larry Bird game and I probably only missed a couple of them.  Been watching their games ever since.  

I probably should not have commented anything about it.  No need to have any negative feelings from me or anyone else. C's are winning and IMPROVING each game and its great.   It was a post I just wished I had kept to myself.  

Merry Christmas to you all all board members!

Last edited by tardust on Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Tardust, your posts are 100% fine with me, and I bet everyone else as well.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 pm

worcester wrote:Tardust, your posts are 100% fine with me, and I bet everyone else as well.

+1 dust you are a true Celtics fan. Here we are are 20-7 in a time where the pundit said we could not be this good. Here we are ranked 3rd in the entire league fighting everyday to win. There is something special at play and we are blessed to see it unfold.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:05 pm

Dboss great post, I like that hes now officially a Bad Motherfucker!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:21 am

Folks, let's lighten up on the f#$@ing profanity please.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:32 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Glad to see Bob coming around on Grant Williams.  Better late than never Laughing

Kleen did you see that pick he laid out for Jaylen...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down