cowens/oldschool
Shamrock1000
bobheckler
dboss
kdp59
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

some early draft talk. Empty some early draft talk.

Post by kdp59 Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:53 am

a couple guys I like right now, with our two end of the first round picks....

Makur Maker-Cousin of Thon, a 6-11 5th year high school player who may or may not be draft eligible .

Jalen Smith- Maryland.

Vernon Carey Jr- Duke

Reggie Perry- Miss St

I like size, what can I say. Since Ainge does NOT, I would fully expect him to pass on any of those guys.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

some early draft talk. Empty Re: some early draft talk.

Post by dboss Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:33 pm

The Memphis pick will continue to be in play unless they tank it for the year.

kdp59,  last week I also took a look at the players that you mentioned as late first round picks.  But not Perry.  I think a big will be selected by Boston.  There will only be one or two roster spots available because Romeo, Grant and Carsen likely stay a while.  I can see Enes heading out the door for more money and getting another 2 year deal.  Vincient Poirier expected to play but he has become a deep reserve guy.  

RW and Theis will still be here and Fall could get a new contract if his overall play in G league improves significantly but the long term strategy would be to add a young athletic big to complement the best tandem of wing players in the NBA.

Also Vernon Carey probably goes top 10 so unless the Memphis pick falls into our lap I doubt he will be there late in the 1st round.

Last edited by dboss on Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Another guy that may be available late is Daniel Oturu

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397215
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:27 pm

dboss wrote:Another guy that may be available late is Daniel Oturu

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397215

look like a big man who can block some shots and rebound...I like that!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:15 pm

Some fodder for the discussion.  It is Blakely's mock draft 1.0, for the first 30, but also includes potentially our 3 first round picks.  I'll cut-and-paste his suggestions for us, but you might want to read the whole article because you might see a player he has earmarked for another team that you'd like Danny to go get, even if it means moving up to get him, or maybe you think that player might drop to us anyway because the teams above us will draft a different player for need or...

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-mock-draft-10-what-could-boston-do-three-first-round-picks?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

some early draft talk. Isaiah_stewart_washington

9. Boston Celtics (via Memphis)
Isaiah Stewart, 6-9, 245, big (Washington)

Bruising banger in the paint, provides the Celtics with another rim-runner who has big-time potential as a rebounder an rim-protector.

some early draft talk. Daniel_oturu_minnesota

28. Boston Celtics
Daniel Oturu, 6-10, 240, big (Minnesota)

One of the nation’s best finishers in pick-and-rolls, Oturu is one of the better rim-protecting big men in this year’s draft class. A low-risk, high-reward pick at this point in the draft.

some early draft talk. Omer_yurtseven_georgetown

30. Boston Celtics (via Milwaukee)
Omer Yurtseven, 7-0, 228, big (Georgetown)

The Turkish-born Yurtseven has a nice perimeter game that can help the Celtics stretch the floor, but a roster logjam of sorts may result in him potentially being a draft-and-stash pick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Fun discussion. And I'm so glad it's a fun discussion and not an existential one. The two oldest Celtics that are significant parts of our present/future are Gordon and Kemba, both of whom are 29. Jaylen and Jayson are 23vand 21 respectively. Time Lord and Romeo are 22 and 21 respectively. The Celtics are setup well for the long term. Let's hope for a new dynasty.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:29 am

Rock

What amazes me is how Danny has managed to acquire first round draft picks while other teams have gut their futures by pushing all of their chips to the center of table.

Elite players are expensive to acquire but home grown talent is long lasting. Most satisfaction for me comes from seeing our young guys develop.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:48 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:Fun discussion. And I'm so glad it's a fun discussion and not an existential one. The two oldest Celtics that are significant parts of our present/future are Gordon and Kemba, both of whom are 29. Jaylen and Jayson are 23vand 21 respectively. Time Lord and Romeo are 22 and 21 respectively. The Celtics are setup well for the long term. Let's hope for a new dynasty.

They say you can’t win with a young team? We did in the Bird era and I see us doing it again at some point, love the way this team is set up with so much great young talent, we are set up for excellence for years, best move Danny ever did was not trade either J for a veteran star, and these kids live in that training facility. We can get another young big to further contribute and develop with RWill. Our backcourt and wings have got to be the envy of the league. 2 J’s just getting started, but so are GWill and Romeo in earlier stages, these guys will be the contributing core talented 2 way players around the superstars. Great time to be a C’s fan, dawn of a new era.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 pm

I think Boston should draft the best available Center or PF.

Going out on a limb here but I like N'Faly Dante

6' 11"  with a 7' 5.5" Wingspan.

He's from Mali, very young and inexperienced but he can block shots and knows how to score in the paint.

I also like Vernon Carey from Duke.

Everybody seemed concerned this year because we lost our floor stretching center but Boston has figure out that they have several guys who can run the offense without Al Horford.  Rim protection is still a need to improve on.  RWIII has the skills but he could be a guy that has nagging injuries.  It is still early but it would not hurt one bit to add another long athletic center to the mix.  Carey is has average length.  Dante has elite length and athleticism.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:26 pm

As previously mentioned I also like Oturu.

I think Boston is well positioned to get the guy they want.  Look for Danny trading down if he secures the Memphis pick.  Knowing Danny he will come away with a future first rounder.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:06 pm

100% agree Cow.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:52 am

some guys to keep an eye on if we have the two late first round picks:

https://hoopshype.com/2020/01/08/2020-nba-mock-draft-big-board-sleepers/

By: Bryan Kalbrosky | January 8, 2020

When analysts label a draft class as weak, that often refers to the talent projected early. But there are always good prospects waiting to be found.

Every year, there are players who either out of the second round or who went undrafted that emerge as solid rotational options in the NBA.

Below are guys who were not top recruits coming out of high school and have not been included very high on many mock drafts or big boards. Yet in their 2019-20 campaigns, each has shown appealing traits for their draft stock.

GRANT RILLER, CHARLESTON

(Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images)

Guard, 6-foot-3, Senior

Charleston’s Grant Riller is currently averaging 22.2 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 1.6 steals per game. The senior has been one of the most efficient and prolific scorers and creators out of the pick-and-roll. As such, his assist rate (31.7 percent) ranks second-best in his conference. When including assists, he is averaging 1.33 points per possession in a set offense. That ranks in the 93rd percentile this season, per Synergy. Despite his 6-foot-3 frame, Riller is shooting 71.6 percent within five feet of the rim and is capable of attacking the basket. He has also drawn 6.8 fouls per 40 minutes, which ranks No. 18 among all NCAA players. Overall, Riller is a high usage point guard who can potentially make an impact off the bench as an elite mid-major prospect.

DANIEL OTURU, MINNESOTA

Harrison Barden-USA TODAY Sports

Center, 6-foot-10, Sophomore

Email
you@domain.com
Like this article?
Sign up for the HoopsHype email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Minnesota big man Daniel Oturu is averaging 19.1 points and 12.2 rebounds per game. He has the best defensive rebound percentage (27.2 percent) in the Big Ten Conference. Meanwhile, he is averaging 3.0 blocks per game as well and his block percentage (9.4 percent) ranks third-best in the conference. On the offensive side of the ball, Oturu has connected on 80-of-98 (81.6 percent) attempts within five feet of the basket. That currently ranks as the third-best (minimum: 80 FGA) among all college basketball players. He has also shown some improvement as a potential pick-and-pop option at the next level. There is enough upside on both offense and defense to make him a draftable player potentially even in the first round, especially with his size.

JARED BUTLER, BAYLOR

Ray Carlin-USA TODAY Sports

Guard, 6-foot-3, Sophomore

The Baylor Bears are off to an electrifying start to the season with an 11-1 record, including wins over Arizona and Villanova. The program has been led by sophomore guard Jared Butler, who has scored 17.3 points per game. Overall, Butler can shoot well off the catch or the dribble. The sophomore has scored up 2.9 three-pointers per game while shooting 42.2 percent from long range. There is serious 3-and-D potential, too, as he put up 1.5 steals per game and the Bears have a Top 10 defense in the NCAA. If his team keeps it up, there is a chance he plays his way into first-round consideration.

ELIJAH HUGHES, SYRACUSE

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Wing, 6-foot-6, Junior

Syracuse wing Elijah Hughes has put up 19.7 points, 4.9 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game. He has mostly been used as a spot-up shooter this season, where he is averaging 1.12 PPP – which ranks 84th percentile, via Synergy. Hughes is also 24-for-29 (82.8 percent) on attempts within five feet, which ranks at No. 13 among all players with as many opportunities. Considering his playmaking numbers and rebounding ability, he brings a bit of everything needed to eventually crack a rotation in the NBA. Hughes currently falls No. 97 on ESPN’s big board and No. 92 on The Athletic’s with plenty of time still to rise.

KERRY BLACKSHEAR JR., FLORIDA

Thomas J. Russo-USA TODAY Sports

Center, 6-foot-10, Senior

After three years at Virginia Tech including a redshirt season due to injury, Kerry Blackshear Jr. became a graduate transfer for the Florida Gators. Now in his final collegiate campaign, he is putting up 14.9 points along with 9.0 rebounds per game. His defensive rebound percentage (23.7 percent) currently ranks fourth-best among all players in the SEC. One thing to note is that he is 84.4 percent in free throws, which shows some promise for his shooting. Blackshear has taken more three-pointers each season he has played, currently averaging 0.9 per game. Overall, he has been a threat in the pick-and-roll both as a roller and on pick-and-pop plays for Florida.

NATHAN KNIGHT, WILLIAM & MARY

Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Center, 6-foot-10, Senior

One of the most underrated players in the country is Nathan Knight, who has averaged 20.1 points per game. Overall, he is averaging 1.12 points per possession. That currently in the 95th percentile among all NCAA players, per Synergy. Only 10 players in the country have scored more field goals (75) within five feet of the basket. But the most important thing to know about the big man is that he leads all D1 players in points scored on pick-and-pop possessions, scoring 3.6 points per game. That is a trait that will undeniably impress scouts and executives considering how often this play is run in the NBA. Meanwhile, Knight has also pulled down 9.9 rebounds per game and his defensive rebound percentage (29.1 percent) ranks twelfth-best among all players in the country.

MALACHI FLYNN, SAN DIEGO STATE

(Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images)

Guard, 6-foot-2, Junior

After 15 games, San Diego State is still undefeated – including four wins against conference opponents. Their best player has been junior guard Malachi Flynn, whose assist rate (30.7 percent) has helped keep them as one of the more relevant teams in the NCAA. His assist-to-turnover ratio (3.3) has been fantastic and he has looked sharp against Top 75 teams. Flynn is averaging 15.9 points per game and is shooting 43.0 percent from 3-point range. He has shown flashes shooting on handoffs and off screens. But his biggest strength has been his ability to help his team score in the pick-and-roll. When including his passes, per Synergy, Flynn ranks Top 25 in total points created in the PnR among all D1 Players.

MALIK FITTS, SAINT MARY’S

Darren Yamashita-USA TODAY Sports

Forward, 6-foot-8, Junior

Saint Mary’s has looked better than expected this season and currently have a Top 10 offense, per Ken Pomeroy. As a team, they have the best three-point percentage in the NCAA. Malik Fitts has helped lead this charge with 15.8 points per game while shooting 41.4 percent from three-point range. He is also grabbing 7.9 rebounds per game with a defensive rebound percentage (24.8 percent) that ranks second-best in his conference.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Darius Days, LSU (Forward)

Mason Jones, Arkansas (Guard)

Matt Haarms, Purdue (Big)

Nate Hinton, Houston (Wing)

Desmond Bane, TCU (Forward)

RELATED
Top NCAA freshmen big men to watch without James Wiseman in the mix

Basketball, Draft, DunkWire, NBA, Daniel Oturu, Darius Days, Desmond Bane, Elijah Hughes, Grant Riller, Jared Butler, Kerry Blackshear Jr., Malachi Flynn, Malik Fitts, Mason Jones, Matt Haarms, Nate Hinton, Nathan Knight
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Here is a link to the latest Aggregate mock draft

https://hoopshype.com/2019/08/04/2020-nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-james-wiseman/

The Memphis pick becomes more difficult to project as the season moves on.  I definitely think it will transfer to the Celtics but where i am not sure.

I like Stewart.  His AGG ranking is 11 but there remains a pretty wide spread for #3 to #18.

The Memphis pick is trending in the wrong direction as they have started to win with more frequency.  It could easily be a middle pick.

Stewart could be gone by then but Vernon Carey out of Duke would be a good consolation prize.  His AGG is #21.

Several center prospects fall into the bottom of the 1st round.  Danny has 2 late first rounders and he could package them to move up a few notches.

The bottom line is that Danny must come away with a viable center prospect.   

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 pm

I can't see Ainge keeping three MORE first rounders next year!!

he'll likely try to pair a couple to move up or do what he did this year and move a late pick for one in a future year, I think.

with Hayward, Kanter having player options and Wanamaker, Waters and Tacko all needing deals. Ainge doesn't have that any spots open anyway (at least as things stand now).

in fact if Hayward and Kanter stay and other 3 sign, we have 17 players I think. (semi and Green are non-guaranteed though).

so if that Memphis pick ends up NOT being a top ten pick...man that will be a knuckle- cracker to me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:25 pm

kdp59 wrote:I can't see Ainge keeping three MORE first rounders   next year!!

he'll likely try to pair a couple to move up or do what he did this year and move a late pick for one in a  future year, I think.

with Hayward, Kanter having player options and Wanamaker, Waters and Tacko all needing deals. Ainge doesn't have that any spots open anyway (at least as things stand now).

in fact if Hayward and Kanter stay and other 3 sign, we have 17 players I think. (semi and Green are non-guaranteed though).

so if that Memphis pick ends up NOT being a top ten pick...man that will be a knuckle- cracker to me.

kdp,

As of today the Memphis pick isn't even a lottery pick, much less top 10.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:55 pm

yeah..i know it....that's painful, man!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Memphis has won 8 out of their last 10. They are not likely to maintain that pace.

Kdp59 , I agree that keeping 3 1st rounders is a nonstarter plus we also have a second rounder.

Danny should be able to find a quality center in the muddle of the draft. He may also trade a pick and get a future pick.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 pm

dboss wrote:Memphis has won 8 out of their last 10.  They are not likely to maintain that pace.

Kdp59 , I agree that keeping 3 1st rounders is a nonstarter plus we also have a second rounder.

Danny should be able to find a quality center in the muddle of the draft.  He may also trade a pick and get a future pick.

Memphis won again tonight.
They might not keep winning at this pace but the teams below them don’t look like they are going to make a strong playoff push. Most of the teams below Memphis keep losing on a very regular basis.
Memphis next 6 out of 8 games are against teams that are headed for the lottery.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:43 am

Isaiah Stewart (Washington) is a local kid we've chatted with a bit through my sponsorship of the Western NY high school tourney. Tough and smart. Talking with him, you're impressed with his sheer physical presence. This is one big kid. He's someone Boston could possibly have a chance at if he doesn't return to school, which is a possibility. He'd be an ideal fit as a PF, moving Tatum to SF. He would make the team much stronger in the paint, which is the biggest current need. It would still leave the team in need of a true center, however. It would at least be a step in the right direction. Isaiah could go top 5, so a deal might need to be made, depending.

My son and I went to a Duke game at Cameron recently. Vernon Carey and Cassius Stanley are two can't miss NBA prospects. Carey would be the center Boston desperately needs and could build a contender around. Carey could go as high as #1, so he's a long shot for us. Unfortunately, getting him would take the Memphis pick, plus at least two of our established young stars to make the deal. That's not likely to happen. Stanley is going to be an All-Star in the NBA within his first few seasons, but is a wing. Unless we're swapping one of our young wings to get that center, no need to go there.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:29 pm

NYCelts

I have not seen any mock drafts with Carey going high.  That could of course change as the season moves forward.

I think quality should overule quantity in this draft for Boston.  We do not have a lot of open roster spots.

I really like the kid Carey as I do Stewart.  If Boston gets either one of them our center spot will be set well into the future.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:50 pm

With all three first round picks likely to be in Ainge's hands in the June draft (if he doesn't trade one, two or even all three at the trade deadline), I see him using at least two of the three to trade up on draft night.

The Cs are the youngest of all the good teams in the league this year, and the team needs to be a little more experienced next year. Three more brand new 20 year old kids next year will not help make the team more experienced, in my opinion.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:22 pm

dboss,

Yes, you're correct.

None of the mock drafts have Carey going as high as I'm calling for. My thinking is he jumps way up the board by or during tourney play. Centers with his skill set are rare, I'm thinking he's top 5. The one thing you don't want to see him do is put the ball on the floor. Lousy handle. But then, he's a center.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am

NYCelt wrote:dboss,

Yes, you're correct.

None of the mock drafts have Carey going as high as I'm calling for. My thinking is he jumps way up the board by or during tourney play. Centers with his skill set are rare, I'm thinking he's top 5. The one thing you don't want to see him do is put the ball on the floor. Lousy handle. But then, he's a center.

Regards

I was thinking the same thing. You can't hide him. And Duke guys stand out.

Having multiple picks affords more options though.

We could really use a bit of luck.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:03 pm

It would not hurt to draft a PG in addition to a PF or center.

However Jayson Tatum is our starting PF and Danny and Brad are not likely to abandon their 3 wing lineup so whatever we get out of the draft it should focus on improving the rotation .  Late first rounders rarely impact winning unless you gamble and luck out.  

Danny has a lot of flexibility.  I can see him moving around the board.

I hope he comes away with an athletic floor stretching big like Jalen Smith.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pm

I know we could use a PF or C but I really like the kid Aaron Nesmith out of Vandy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX6X0TabK9M

Averages 23 PPG
Shoots .512 from the field
Shoots .522 from deep on 8.2 attempts (WOW)
Shoots .825 from the line 

This kid can really shoot the rock.  Reminds me of Buddy Hield
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next