dbrown4
kdp59
Ktronic1
worcester
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
11 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Sixers, Away 1/10/20 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Sixers, Away 1/10/20

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:11 pm

Tomorrow's a travel day for me, so I don't have much time for this.  Have at it!!

I have no idea WTF is going on here.  I went for a long walk after the game and stewed.  We thought we were so set with 3 high quality wings in an increasingly wing-oriented league and they lost this game for us.  A combined 10-36, 27.7%, 8 assists and 9 turnovers of our total 14.  3-12 from 3.  This game was on TNT.  This pathetic performance might have killed one, if not both, of the J's shot at the All-Star game.  I realize they'd be picked by the coaches and not the fans, and the coaches won't put all their weight on this one game, but this didn't help.

We won the first quarter and then proceeded to lose the next 3.  We got outscored by 14 points in the 4th.  We had a 4:14 scoring drought in the 2nd quarter and still ended up losing only 2 points off our 9 point 1st quarter lead and I breathed a sigh of relief.  Surely that couldn't be our new normal, right?  Wrong.

Robert Williams needs to hurry back so we can see what we actually have for a front court because small ball isn't cutting it.  When your front court (Theis, Kanter, GWill) are a combined 19 points, 18 rebounds and zero blocks in 51 minutes that's awful.  Embiid is out and Brad goes micro?  He doesn't have confidence in our front court to outplay a Sixer front court of Horford, Scott and upgraded G-Leaguer Pelle?

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161206

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Sixers, Away 1/10/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Sixers, Away 1/10/20

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm with you.I just don't understand why Kanter sat the whole second half.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Sixers, Away 1/10/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Sixers, Away 1/10/20

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:51 pm

Kanter :17 minutes,8 points on 4 of 7, 11 rebounds +11.Theis:26 minutes, 9 points, 5 rebounds, -13. ojele: 20 minutes,  0 points,0 rebounds,1assist, 2 fouls. Grant Williams: 6 minutes, 0 points, 2 rebounds. WTF? I'm just not sure Grant Williams is an NBA player. Hyped rookie class is looking like pretty much of a bust. Romeo, wherefore art thou? Could Javonte Green and Langford have played any worse than the Jays? SMDH.

Last edited by jrleftfoot on Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:44 pm

Brad must owe some bookie a game. Only reason he'd bench Kanter and blow the 2nd half. Unfathomable coaching and performance. Kemba, Marcus, and Enes showed up. Everyone else stayed behind in Boston reading their press clippings.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:08 am

I would really like to see an explanation for Stevens' decision making in this one.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:35 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I would really like to see an explanation for Stevens' decision making in this one.

Some of the commentators on TNT were saying that they thought Brad went small because Philly had speeded up their game and playing fast. With that being said I too still would like to hear Brad’s explanation.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 am

I guess Horford looked pretty good last night, huh?

anyhow

I heard a national sport show  yesterday talking about the Celtics. The host said he doesn't trust that team to be elite, because they simply have NO type A player. Meaning we have no ELITE player who will take over a game and WILL us to   win it.

he then went on to name the NBA's top teams and each of them has an ALL- PRO type and type A personality.

I think he may be on to something.

WHO on this team says..."GIVE ME THE DAMN BALL, WE AIN'T LOSING THIS GAME" ?

Maybe Kemba can BECOME that guy, but he'll have to ruffle some feathers  on the team instead of being everyones buddy.

Tatum...to inconsistent still and his personality may not ever allow him to be that guy.

Brown....Certainly seems to have the personality, but my not be ready to take over the team yet.

Hayward....Like Tatum above.

Smart......has the personality, but not the scoring ability.

Just something to think on as we move though the second half of this year
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 am

kdp59,

I had hinted on this about 20 games into the season and this may be a result of all the effing injuries and line up inconsistencies since the start, but the team needs to shed the "nice guy we're just here to have fun playing basketball together" image. No one is afraid to play the Celtics. I'm afraid to play MIL and LAL lest we get blown out of the gym. And given everything that has happened to date, this is what will more than likely occur later this month.

Looks like it's time for a closed door players only meeting. I don't want to bring up the Brad Might Be A Problem As Well discussions quite yet but if the finger pointing starts, it starts at the top. Danny as well.

Kemba is logically the best one to take on this role. He's had to adjust to quite a lot psychologically coming from Charlotte. Clearly his scoring hasn't adjusted and that's the beauty of all this. It's just how he delivers it that has changed and how often. He can actually take on a late in life LeBron role where the triple double becomes more and more prevalent.

Teams win championships. Not personalities. We have a great team. We just like to be injured a lot. Until that stops for a while, it's going to be hard to put together a fearful team.

db

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:03 am

bobheckler wrote:
... I have no idea WTF is going on here. ....

My sentiment exactly.
Celtics were playing in the first half. In the 3rd quarter they were struggling, in the 4th they're just discombobulated.
What it is: fatigue? team mental state? I hope it's not the same malady as the last season. And I hope they can figure it out before April.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:28 am

We should have had Kantor go right at Al and bullyball him down low, he can do that, Al was masterful at picking up 2 J’s on switches, he can do that, what he can’t do is handle big physical 5’s, one of which we have. Our wings all couldn’t play/carry us, don’t know if their fatigued or just bad, terrible response in a statement type game without the opponent’s best player.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 am

Late in the first quarter, the players on the bench were all smiles, high fiving each other and enjoying their success at pulling away from the 26ers.  They all thought it was so easy.  The coach should have called a time out right then and got their mindset off of their party time feeling and back on to the hard job at hand.

As Roland Deschain would often say, "They forgot the face of their Father".

To be specific, they forgot everything that got them to that joyful place.  Hard work, move the ball, move yourself on offense.  Hard work, help each other (especially in mis-matches), rebound the ball, etc. on defense.

Even the TNT crew were saying it was all iso hero ball for the Celtics.  They said it more than once.

Kanter needs more minutes at the 5, not Grant Williams.  Kanter adds a twist when the 3-point shots aren't hitting.  

Ship Semi O away from Boston, that was a waste of 20 minutes.  Give some of his minutes to Kanter.

Give the rest of Semo O's minutes to G Will or J Green.  At least they may develop into a good players off the bench.  Semi O's skillset has flat-lined.

Jaylen Brown hit his first two shots and then went 0-for the rest of the game.  

In what reality does Marcus Smart become our best 3-point shooter?

No time for Javonte Green?  No time for Brad Wannamaker?  WTH?

On the Game On! thread, Gordon Heyward was getting bashed, but it wasn't him (IMO).  I was about a half hour behind live action and read the comments, so I paid special attention to Heyward.  He was the only one who actually scored, so I was baffled as to why he was chosen as scapegoat.  It was actually 2/3 Jason Tatum and 1/3 Jaylen Brown that gave away the lead.

Let's turn this ship around!!

Go Celtics!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:07 am

Worst game in years for 2 J’s, can they respond, that’s the bigger issue?

How can they take over for stretches looking so good/worthy, then lay an egg like this, they haven’t had a good dominant game all week...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:09 am

A great player doesn’t need a system or all this ball movement, etc

You can just give them the ball and let them create, J’s have shown signs of this alot of times when they are really rolling, WTF happened, now they can’t even hit a point blank lay up...???

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:44 am

Always curious why you go away from what's working coach Stevens.  

Our wings are pressing to score the ball.  This malady spreads.  

I have no doubt that our guys can make shots.  They have been scoring at a high rate all season.  They need to chill out a bit.  They need to make the next pass.  They need to stop pressing to make the next shot.  

Their problem appears to be located from the neck up.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Not a good stretch, and I think Jaylen in particular played his worst game in years in a big moment.

BUT - it still isnt a big deal in the big picture.

On

Patience. Cool
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:59 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:We should have had Kantor go right at Al and bullyball him down low, he can do that, Al was masterful at picking up 2 J’s on switches, he can do that, what he can’t do is handle big physical 5’s, one of which we have. Our wings all couldn’t play/carry us, don’t know if their fatigued or just bad, terrible response in a statement type game without the opponent’s best player.
                       totally agree re Al/Enes
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down