Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’

5 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’ Empty Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:05 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/01/boston-celtics-15th-man-javonte-green-steps-up-to-hold-off-orlando-magic-his-defense-was-incredible.html

Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’

Posted Jan 24, 2020

Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’ FRACBVVA7NGH5BSL7VJQUCXQ24
Boston Celtics guard Javonte Green (43) dunks the ball over Orlando Magic forward Aaron Gordon during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Friday, Jan. 24, 2020, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)AP

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

ORLANDO - In an alternate universe, we might be talking about the big game Max Strus had to help the Boston Celtics come back to beat the Orlando Magic.

But, just like Javonte Green grabbed the 15th roster spot from Strus, he grabbed this game defensively and made life difficult for one of Orlando’s biggest offensive threats.

“Javonte came in and his defense was incredible on Terrence (Ross),” Kemba Walker said. “Terrence is one of the best scorers we have in our league off the bench and the way he contested those shots, he just did a great job on him.”

Watching Ross catch the ball in fourth quarter might trigger some PTSD in the Celtics. The last time the Celtics were in Orlando for a regular season game, Ross scored nine points to help the Magic come back to win. That was the infamous game where Kyrie Irving thought Gordon Hayward’s inbounds pass was supposed to go to Al Horford.

Ross never got that chance in this one.

“Ross killed us last year in all three games,” Stevens said. “We talked to Javonte this morning about with Tatum probably out and Jaylen might be out, you need to be ready to guard him as hard as you can. He spent all day watching extra and preparing extra, and that’s what you have to do. So hats off to him.”

Green is one of the team’s biggest talkers, but afterwards he wasn’t one to revel in the moment.

“Just do the job be asked me,” he said. “That’s what you gotta do, and he asked me to do something . And I felt I did a good job at what he asked me to do.”

Ross shot 3-for-14 in the game, finishing with 8 points. He only hit one shot in the fourth. He missed all of his third quarter shots. Green was a perfect 3-for-3 in the second half, two of them were loud breakaway dunks.

“I feel defense can lead to dunks, and I’m a pretty good defensive player,” he said. “That leads to fast break dunks.”

It also leads to some extra juice for his teammates.

“Oh you know I feed off of it when I see a nice dunk because I can’t, so it’s nice," Walker said. "It’s nice when you see those guys come in and bring energy. And tonight, the way they did it, it was perfect timing. Javonte’s dunk was perfect timing. We never looked back from there. We just kept pushing.”

Stevens made sure to single Green’s effort out in the locker room after the game. On a night that started so poorly, where a team in Boston’s position could have easily packed it in and chalked up a loss to understandable circumstances, it was a guy who wasn’t even supposed to make the team that helped secure a win.

“When you talk to a guy before the game and it translates to the game, there’s nothing better," Walker said. "There’s no better feeling, probably for a coach as well.”

Said Stevens, “he’s the one we singled out in the locker room, because that’s what good teams do. They have guys that take those little things about the game and try to help you win.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’ Empty Re: Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’

Post by wideclyde Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:26 am

Obviously, there must be something that Green does show in practice to get more game minutes because he seems to shine almost every game he gets into.

He may be the 15th man on the roster, but he plays with such energy and success when he does play that I just cannot see why he cannot get some more playing time if only to give the first string guys a little more rest.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’ Empty Re: Boston Celtics 15th man Javonte Green steps up to hold off Orlando Magic: ‘his defense was incredible’

Post by dboss Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:11 pm

His presence further diminishes the ability to simply add a  buyout guy.  In years past the Celtics would maintain a 14 man roster and we had the space to add a guy like Monroe.  

I know Poirier's name has come up more than once as a guy that should be sent packing.   I guess if it was part of a trade and a guy is coming back that addresses a need, so be it.   I still think VP can help us and he is locked in for a second year for short money.

Back to Green.  One of the most explosive guys on the team and he is turning into yet another skilled on the ball defender.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Green in green is money in the bank for us. Such a value!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:38 pm

worcester wrote:Green in green is money in the bank for us. Such a value!
Considering he battled to secure the final roster spot, he has turned into one of the best end of the bench guys I have ever seen on the Celtics.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Can #43 help us win #18? That is the question. He sure is contributing.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:26 am

Max Strus tore his acl. Wasn't playing much for the Bulls. Am I nuts ,or does Javonte Green's game kinda resemble that of the Green that went berserk and held his girlfriend captive?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down