KyleCleric
dbrown4
Matty
bobheckler
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo?

Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_lcap0%Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_lcap0%Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_lcap86%Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_rcap 86% 
[ 12 ]
Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_lcap14%Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 14

Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Empty Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo?

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:32 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kobe-bryant-nba-logo-change-petition-jerry-west/

Petition to change NBA logo to Kobe Bryant surpasses 2 million signatures

BY CHRISTOPHER BRITO

UPDATED ON: JANUARY 28, 2020 / 6:14 PM / CBS NEWS

A petition to change the NBA logo to an image of Kobe Bryant has now surpassed more than 2 million signatures in two days. The logo currently bears the silhouette of Hall of Fame basketball player Jerry West, a friend and mentor to Bryant.

Bryant and eight others, including his daughter Gianna died in a helicopter crash Sunday afternoon. Soon after, 16-year-old Nikyar Moghtader, a fan from Vancouver, Canada, felt he needed to "commemorate him for all he's done."

"What led me to make the petition was the fact that Kobe Bryant was a role model not only to me but to countless fans," Moghtader told CBS News on Tuesday. "I thought that making him the NBA logo would be an amazing way to immortalize him in the NBA forever."

As of early Tuesday afternoon, the petition on Change.org has more than 2 million signatures and counting –– far more than Moghtader ever anticipated.

bob
MY NOTE:  We're all saddened by the untimely death of Kobe Bryant, we all acknowledge he was one of the NBA's All-Time Great players, but should he replace Jerry West as The Logo?

Here are a few of, what I see, as the Pros and Cons of changing the logo to be Kobe.  Please explain your vote:

Pros:  
1. The NBA is a business, and Kobe is good business.
2. Every NBA fan, and even non-NBA fans, know who Kobe was while the younger generation doesn't know who Jerry West was.  I've had Laker fans ask me if Jerry West really was as good as people say, and I'm not talking young kids neither, I'm talking about men in their late '30s and '40s who are lifelong Laker fans who never saw Jerry West play and cannot relate to the NBA pre-3ball.
3. Jerry West himself has said that he thinks the NBA should update their logo to be someone other than him.

Cons:
1. It's disrespecting the history of the league.  The greatness of a sport is its ability to transcend and cross generations and not just pander to the most recent one.
2. Why Kobe?  Because he died?  How about Michael Jordan?  Surely he's as great or greater a player than Kobe, why not him?  Because he didn't suffer a fatal accident?
3. It's too soon.  Emotions are running high, the loss is fresh.  Let it sit for a while and then we'll see.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Empty Re: Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo?

Post by Matty Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:07 pm

I voted no.

and i'll go through the pros and cons you added.

1- yes the league is a buiness, so are we changing to logo to a recently dead star cuz its good for business? Somethings mean more than $$

2- so because many fans don't know who jerry west is are we to sweep history under the rug? what happens in 30 yrs when everyone has forgotten who Kobe was and some other star suddenly has a tragic death, do we say well Kobe only means something to the older generation, lets update the logo to the more recent tragedy.

3- Jerry west was a laker, don't really care what he thinks.

now for the cons
1- it would be disrespectfull of the history of the league, hell lets change the name of the finals MVP and toss out Russel, hardly anyone remembers him anyhow.
2- exactly why Kobe? yes this is a tragedy, but again, its a matter of emotions suddenly taking control of our decision making. I"m all for the league honoring one of the best players its ever known, but theres a lot of ways that can be done.
3- basically the same as above

now for the difficult part.
IN 2003 a woman claimed that she was raped by Kobe. Kobe denied that, but he also lied in the investigation. I dont want to believe that he did what was claimed, but what if he did?

I've seen how a false accusation about something like this can destroy a truly good persons reputation and life and as a kid I was forced to watch my cousins be raped. Neither is something i'd want an innocent person to have to ever go through.

One of those two people, Kobe and his accuser is a no good P.O.S. for their actions in regard to what happened in Colorado, and now only one of those people is alive. I'd like to think that the worst case scenario did not happen, that Kobe was innocent of the charge, but was he? I don't have an answer for how to honor a player with that stigma attached. I've even found it troubling to watch him play after the allegations came out. Like I said, I'd like to think he was taken advantage of, its perhaps the lesser of two great evils, but in my mind, I have to say no for this reason specifically to him being the new logo. I really wish it wasn't something I'd had to bring up in the discussion.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Empty Re: Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo?

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:22 pm

This is a tough one given how early it comes out and all the emotional processing that is still going on.

Kobe would make a great logo, would love to see that but if you go that route, Mr. Jordan, Mr. Johnson and Mr. Russell are going to have to be in the same conversation as well and would more than likely supersede. No offense.

Then you have to get into the criteria for selection. Do you go by just basketball life/performance, whole life/performance? Clearly this was a genuine, deeply, spur of the moment, emotional idea and subsequent plea by Mr. Moghtader.

The NBA is going to be in a bit of a bind because, first of all, that is a substantial response by the public they will have to address. Emotional but very substantial. They can't dismiss it. The NBA kind of innocently started it all with the current logo based upon one of its star great players from the early years of the league. Probably never thought of changing it and for what reason(s) or what would cause a public outcry to change it. But they will have to do something whether they want to or not.

What would Kobe do or want? I don't know but I'm going to guess he wouldn't want all the attention and fanfare.

Trying to guess how Adam Silver and the league are going to respond is difficult at best. But he will be changing the logo. To what, I have no idea.

The fan sentiment and outpouring is unmatched and uncanny.

I know there are companies who you hire to come up with new logos and branding. Maybe the NBA should look there. Change will be coming.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:36 pm

No

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 pm

No

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 pm

No. While I appreciate the sentiment, it is not appropriate

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:58 pm

Jerry West talking on TNT about Kobe was one of the most touching experiences I have ever seen on TV ever. Class talking about class. Epic. So moving. Two great men whose lives represented the best of the NBA and America.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 pm

worcester wrote:Jerry West talking on TNT about Kobe was one of the most touching experiences I have ever seen on TV ever. Class talking about class. Epic. So moving. Two great men whose lives represented the best of the NBA and America.

So true, I was in tears......

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:33 am

Matty wrote:I voted no.

and i'll go through the pros and cons  you added.

1- yes the league is a buiness, so are we changing to logo to a recently dead star cuz its good for business? Somethings mean more than $$

2-  so because many fans don't know who jerry west is  are we to sweep history under the rug?  what happens in 30 yrs when everyone has forgotten who Kobe was and some other star suddenly has a tragic death, do we say well Kobe only means something to the older generation, lets update the logo to the more recent tragedy.

3- Jerry west was a laker, don't really care what he thinks.

now for the cons
1- it would be disrespectfull of the history of the league, hell lets change the name of the finals MVP and toss out Russel, hardly anyone remembers him anyhow.  
2-  exactly why Kobe? yes this is a tragedy, but again, its a matter of emotions suddenly taking control of our decision making. I"m all for the league honoring one of the best players its ever known, but theres a lot of ways that can be done.
3- basically the same as above

now for the  difficult part.
IN 2003 a woman claimed that she was raped by Kobe. Kobe denied that, but he also lied in the investigation. I dont want to believe that he did what was claimed, but what if he did?

I've seen how a false accusation about something like this can destroy a truly good persons reputation and life and as a kid I was forced to watch my cousins be raped.  Neither is something i'd want an innocent person to have to ever go through.

One of those two people, Kobe and his accuser is a no good P.O.S. for their actions in regard to what happened in Colorado, and now only one of those people is alive. I'd like to think that the worst case scenario did not happen, that Kobe was innocent of the charge, but was he?  I don't have an answer for how to honor a player with that stigma attached. I've even found it troubling to watch him play after the allegations came out. Like I said, I'd like to think he was taken advantage of, its perhaps the lesser of two great evils, but in my mind, I have to say no for this reason specifically to him being the new logo. I really wish it wasn't something I'd had to bring up in the discussion.
I’ve avoided commenting on this tragedy.

But...

Do people falsely accuse others of sexual assaults? Possibly. The vast majority do not. It is so difficult to report assaults that doing so is a good indication that the assault occurred. 

In this circumstance, we have an NBA Star and a 19 yr old hotel employee, a settlement and a public apology from Kobe.

There are better players and better people that we can honor.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:40 am

come on

guy dies young and he;s a saint now...Jesus
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 am

I followed the Kobe rape trial and thought his accuser was honest. Kobe was 23 then or so. If true, he did a despicable act, but his life ever since has been exemplary. It's not for me to judge anyone. I respect how he's lived his life since, but he is no saint, and innocent or guilty we need not change the logo to honor him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:12 am

Hi,
I voted No.
As others noted, there are other players, Russell, Kareem, MJ, etc., who are more deserving to be on the logo.
If NBA had its own currency I'd definitely voted to put Kobe on one of the banknotes.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:53 am

I do not think it is necessary to change the logo for Kobe.
I also think the league should not mandate that 8 and 24 cannot be worn again.
If teams make that decision on their own as Dallas has by announcing that 24 is being retired, that's great, but it should be each team's decision.
I am one who thinks players should continue to wear 8 and 24 if Kobe is the reason why they chose those numbers.
Or if wearing his number is their way of commemorating him.
But, if players like Spencer Dinwiddie choose to no longer wear the number that Kobe wore, I think that is a thoughtful gesture.

It would not surprise me if the league decided to change the logo to Kobe.
The league focuses a lot on young people. People who love Kobe, Lebron, Curry, Durant, etc.
Focusing on Jerry West, Kareem, Russell and other older former players does not seem like the direction the NBA is moving in.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 am

tjmakz wrote:I do not think it is necessary to change the logo for Kobe.
If teams make that decision on their own as Dallas has by announcing that 24 is being retired, that's great, but it should be each team's decision.
I am one who thinks players should continue to wear 8 and 24 if Kobe is the reason why they chose those numbers.
But, if players like Spencer Dinwiddie choose to no longer wear the number that Kobe wore, I think that is a thoughtful gesture.

The league focuses a lot on young people. People who love Kobe, Lebron, Curry, Durant, etc.
Focusing on Jerry West, Kareem, Russell and other older former players does not seem like the direction the NBA is moving in.

Durant is a coward, everyone knows that....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:34 am

tjmakz wrote:I do not think it is necessary to change the logo for Kobe.

Well said, and well thought out. I agree completely.

I don't usually elaborate on these things; so let's call this one a rare occasion. I'll go right to the heart of the matter...

Whatever took place with that young woman in a hotel room is in the past. I find it completely off base that a few celebrity types, or anyone (sorry), have chosen to broadcast their opinion on this, pressing their agenda at this time. It's cruel and disrespectful to his surviving family. The ultimate low shot, in my opinion. Did something happen between them. Maybe. Probably. He consented to a civil penalty and apologized. The woman dropped the criminal complaint. There has to be some personal accountability here too. What do you think you're going to the guy's hotel room for? Why put yourself in that position? And no, I'm not blaming the victim, I'm campaigning for common sense. Yes, bad on his part either way, consensual or not. Bryant's wife also chose to forgive. It should end there. This is the only time I'll mention it, in an attempt, no, make that a request, to end it here among us.

Anybody here ever do anything they later regretted? Something wrong and you knew better? I've got my list. And I try to climb out of my own holes.

Since that time Kobe has seemingly been nothing but an exemplary man. He's loved his family, he's supported and advanced women's causes. By all accounts he's been a gentleman. He's been ramping up quite a meaningful post basketball life. Stories are emerging from so many places about acts of kindness Kobe has brought upon others he knew well, and still more he barely met. He was giving back not just financially, but of himself. Super-Hero candidate? That need not be the case. Super example of making the most of the time you're given. That's enough.

Look at the scope of the grief being shown. This surpasses a display for just a popular athlete. And maybe, some of this is because he was so demonstrably human. A big part of what may be wrenching so may hearts is that Kobe did try to do better. The tragedy here is on many levels for many families. But what must tug at the heart of anyone who gives it some thought is that the story is about a man who had his human failings, and died while showing his human love and compassion.

Change the logo? I'm in no way even voting on that one. I'll choose to simply respect the bigger story.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 am

The logo used today is a silhouette of Lakers great and Hall of Famer Jerry West, who was a longtime Lakers player and front office executive and now works for the Los Angeles Clippers. Nearly three years ago, West told ESPN's Rachel Nichols on The Jump that he no longer wants to be the NBA logo

If this is true and he no longer wants to be the logo then a new one seems fine to me.

But I voted other  and here is why.

I never thought it was fair to make Jerry West the logo in the first place.  

Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? Jerry-West-nba-logo-1

The logo is just an unrecognizable silhouette.  The average person does not even know who is represented.

The logo was a branding mechanism.  It is symbolic of greatness.  The only player that deserved that distinction was our very own Bill Russell.  The NBA however was not ready to let the unrecognizable silhouette of a black man be the face of the brand.  Would the silhouette be in black face?  Hell no.  The NBA settled for that milky white silhouette.

The only logo I care about is this one:

Should Kobe Bryant Be The New Logo? 9k=
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 pm

NO.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Emotions run rampant when something shocking happens to a famous, talented, young man. First and foremost, no decisions should be made in haste. We have many well loved players who have never even gotten a tip of the hat. Stand back for a while,, let the mourning time take place, and at the end of the season, or maybe next year revisit this. I do not believe the logo should be changed, period. And Gyso, I totall dboss I totally agree with you.

Do you know that Jerry West hates Boston so much he refuses to come here at all? Marketing?
you get your life. It killed the league that West could never bring a title home and that Boston stood in his way for most of it. He had to become an executive to get that ring. I am not knocking West..........he was a magnificent player. But, this league has a tendency to pick and choose their heroes. I will be interested to see how they handle this. Russell, in his day, hated to be put on a pedestal, his glory was his teammates glory, TEAM first. Things have mellowed for Bill over the years, he has been ready to take the accolades that are out there.

Kobe will be remembered, How? I don't know, but it will be decision that should wait

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Yeah, dboss.  On a grander scale the issue of race will be brought up in relation to all this.  The league looks nothing like it did 50 years ago as far as personnel goes.  

Adam Silver can expect a visit from the opportune NAACP and Al Sharpton if those two organization have not already been knocking on the door about the logo. This is what Shaprton lives for or has in the past.  

The Redskins from football, Indians from baseball, etc., have all had to address this issue of logos and race.  No one is immune.  Now looks like as good a time as any for the NBA to address/defend why their logo is of an old white guy when the league is now 80%+ black/non-white as far as personnel is concerned.

db

P.S.  I had voted other as well, dboss.  Same, +1 on the REAL logo!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Rosalie,

I was aware of that with West and the Celtics. Hasn't he also had to receive therapy dealing with it over his life?

That is sad. The Lakers have just as many titles as we do. He should put that past him and enjoy the different route the Lakers took to catch us in titles. More than one way to skin a cat!

You are right in that this will calm down or new cycle out, but Silver's next words and subsequent direction(s) will be very telling.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:05 pm

db........you are right, last night he looked like a shattered man. It brought tears to my eyes just watching him reach for the words to tell how he felt. This was awful watch. God bless him, I pray he gets thru this. It was interesting though, he said that Kobe had made a deal at one point when he was at odds with the Lakers and afraid they were going to trade him, that West called him and told him no way could he work for Donald Sterling (or "that owner" as West called him. He convinced him to stay with the Lakers. Yes, he has gone thru therapy for his feelings about Boston. Sad that he has let this consume his life. Let's see what everyone does in the coming months about this
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm

They've been to the Finals way more than we have. We are more successful IF we make it to the Finals. Lakers simply decided to get there more often and let the chips fall where they may. I believe that are at about 50% success rate if they get to the Finals. Are we 17 out of 21 or 22? Can't remember. Again, just two different styles and ways to get there. Both clearly work!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:36 pm

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/report-nba-not-changing-logo-to-kobe-bryant/

Report: NBA not changing logo to Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant’s death is unique tragedy.

No NBA player anywhere near that great has ever died anywhere near that young. So, people are struggling to find the proper reaction. Every tribute seems too small, not grand enough to honor Bryant’s monumental legacy.

An idea gaining traction among fans: Change the NBA logo to Kobe Bryant.

Currently, Jerry West’s silhouette graces the logo. I know that. You know that. The logo’s designer, Alan Sigel, has explained that.

But the NBA doesn’t formally recognize – and, importantly, doesn’t pay – West to be that symbol.

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports:

Sources familiar with the league’s thinking said there is no interest in having an individual player as its logo because there are so many who have been instrumental in the growth of the game and the NBA. Generic is better.

Again, follow the money. West, who has said he prefers no longer to be on the logo, hasn’t pressed for compensation. Keeping the current logo is safe financially.

But for any of us not earning an income from the NBA, who cares how much it costs the league to put the “right” person on the logo? That’s the NBA’s issue, not ours. We can base our logo preference on how it makes us feel.

That said, I don’t think putting Bryant on the logo is the appropriate response. At the very minimum, let the emotion of this moment subside before making decisions that could last decades. If putting Bryant on the logo is fitting, that’ll still be the case next year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:42 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Yeah, dboss.  On a grander scale the issue of race will be brought up in relation to all this.  The league looks nothing like it did 50 years ago as far as personnel goes.  

Adam Silver can expect a visit from the opportune NAACP and Al Sharpton if those two organization have not already been knocking on the door about the logo.  This is what Shaprton lives for or has in the past.    

The Redskins from football, Indians from baseball, etc., have all had to address this issue of logos and race.  No one is immune.  Now looks like as good a time as any for the NBA to address/defend why their logo is of an old white guy when the league is now 80%+ black/non-white as far as personnel is concerned.

db

P.S.  I had voted other as well, dboss.  Same, +1 on the REAL logo!
dbrown 

My perspective reflects my experience growing up in the 50's in Boston.  Many people never saw Jerry West play or Bill Russell for that matter.  West was a gifted scorer and regularly made shots that would be 3 pointers today.  His teams were great but they could NEVER beat Bill Russell's Celtics.

I remember when the logo came out and me and my friends thought it was absurd.   We felt that it was just another example of the racist culture in America that also engulfed sports.  The choice of Jerry West reflected the idolic relationship between fans and the sports heroes they worshiped.  You see, white fans struggled to accept the notion of a black man on a pedestal.  That was a long time ago.  Yet the symbolism remains for those that remember what happened.

Personally I really do not care if the logo is changed or not.  But any No argument completely overlooks the obvious.  Jerry West does not want to be the logo anymore.  Jerry West drafted and nurtured a young Kobe Bryant like a son.  If the logo were to change it seems logical that it should be changed to Kobe.

There are no gods in sports.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:45 pm

so now Kobe is greater than Jordan?

I never said anything about Kobes issues with the law, just that he (or anyone famous) that dies way too young gets the Saint treatment by the media today.

Kobe was one of the top 5 players in NBA history. Perhaps he was good man and father....I have no idea and neither does most of the people making him a saint today.

terrible that anyone dies that young and even worst for all the kids that were one that helicopter.

as to changing the Logo....go ahead...but make it Jordan not Kobe .
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next