Watching "The Last Dance" makes you wonder how Larry Bird would fit in today's NBA

4 posters

Go down

Watching "The Last Dance" makes you wonder how Larry Bird would fit in today's NBA Empty Watching "The Last Dance" makes you wonder how Larry Bird would fit in today's NBA

Post by gyso Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:35 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/watching-last-dance-makes-wonder-212719208.html

The Michael Jordan documentary, "The Last Dance," is great television and could not have come along at a better time.

You know I'm a die-hard Celtics fan, but it is impossible not be in awe of the 90's Bulls. How could any hoop fan not get tingles down their spine when hearing The Alan Parsons Project "Sirius" as Jordan's name boomed through the rafters.

To me, that always signaled something special was moments away.

Larry Bird had the best quote ever regarding Jordan. After Mike put up 63 points in a Bulls loss at the Garden in the '86 playoffs, Bird told the Boston Globe, "It's just God disguised as Michael Jordan."

Larry didn't hand out compliments lightly. Those words meant a lot.

As I was watching Jordan personally torch the Celts defense, I couldn't help but notice how slow and plodding the Celtics appeared ... and that was the Celtics team that won 67 games.

I asked myself the question, "How good would Larry Bird be playing today's game?" Currently, the players are more athletic and more skilled, regardless of height. There were no seven-footers who could handle and shoot like Kevin Durant in the 80's. At 6-9, Magic was an anomaly at point guard.

How could I ever doubt Larry Legend? What was wrong with me?

One great thing about my job - and there are many - is that I have the pleasure of knowing some people who have actually played professional sports, and one in particular who played with Larry.

I press Max on my cell. I still think it's cool that I have the 1981 NBA Finals MVP (Cedric Maxwell) in my phone.

"Big Fella!" I cry into the phone as he picks up.

"Big Fella!" He cries back. Yes, we have pet nicknames or maybe that's just what I want to believe. He may call everybody, "Big fella."

Anyway.

Quick Max story. I was filling in for the highly talented Celtic play-by-play man Sean Grande one night when Jared Sullinger took an awful shot in the fourth quarter. It was sooooo baadddd my call went like this, "Ohhh, boy," as in "Oh brother." As a Celtic fan, I was so disheartened by the shot I never called the play! And THIS WAS ON THE RADIO!  Max laughed so hard he tinkled himself in his fine custom-made suit.

No reason for that story. I just like to tell it.

After exchanging the typical "Are you OK?" pleasantries of our time, I ask Max if Larry would be Larry in today's game. Honestly, his answer surprised me.

Now, it's well-known that Max and Kevin McHale carried Larry's ass defensively. The two had a good laugh when Bird was named NBA second-team all-defense. I was expecting Max to point out what I saw, Larry's lack of speed, ability to elevate, etc…

Nope.

"Larry would have fit in well today," said his old teammate. "With his three-point shot and the pick and roll game, he would be better in today's game."

Whoaaaa, Big Fella. Better in today's game than his glory days of the 80's?

"No one would have touched him because of the tight whistles - and of course, he could shoot the three."

The three pointer I understand, so I figured maybe Larry would just be a shooter. What do I know?

"Larry would thrive with the pick and roll. He could rebound and he was always a great passer." Max went on to say Larry would be a better Luka Doncic, who was averaging 28.7 points, 9.3 rebounds and 8.7 assists per game before this season was suspended.

Then I ask, "What about his defense, Max? You always had the tougher assignment."

Then Max pointed out Larry could have benefited from the zone D of today just like he benefited from playing alongside himself and McHale.

Shame on me for even thinking that Larry wouldn't become a legend in today's game, but he still looked slow ... but then again, who didn't when playing Jordan?

My comments:  Use the link and scroll down to the comments.  There's some good ones.  Many think Larry would be even better and would have lasted longer in today's less physical NBA game.  I tend to agree.

I also agree with Max about playing the zone defense.  Larry Bird played defense in a sort of kind of zone anyway, that's where he got many of his steals.

Back to top Go down

Watching "The Last Dance" makes you wonder how Larry Bird would fit in today's NBA Empty Re: Watching "The Last Dance" makes you wonder how Larry Bird would fit in today's NBA

Post by swish Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:30 am

gyso wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/watching-last-dance-makes-wonder-212719208.html

The Michael Jordan documentary, "The Last Dance," is great television and could not have come along at a better time.

You know I'm a die-hard Celtics fan, but it is impossible not be in awe of the 90's Bulls. How could any hoop fan not get tingles down their spine when hearing The Alan Parsons Project "Sirius" as Jordan's name boomed through the rafters.

To me, that always signaled something special was moments away.

Larry Bird had the best quote ever regarding Jordan. After Mike put up 63 points in a Bulls loss at the Garden in the '86 playoffs, Bird told the Boston Globe, "It's just God disguised as Michael Jordan."

Larry didn't hand out compliments lightly. Those words meant a lot.

As I was watching Jordan personally torch the Celts defense, I couldn't help but notice how slow and plodding the Celtics appeared ... and that was the Celtics team that won 67 games.

I asked myself the question, "How good would Larry Bird be playing today's game?" Currently, the players are more athletic and more skilled, regardless of height. There were no seven-footers who could handle and shoot like Kevin Durant in the 80's. At 6-9, Magic was an anomaly at point guard.

How could I ever doubt Larry Legend? What was wrong with me?

One great thing about my job - and there are many - is that I have the pleasure of knowing some people who have actually played professional sports, and one in particular who played with Larry.

I press Max on my cell. I still think it's cool that I have the 1981 NBA Finals MVP (Cedric Maxwell) in my phone.

"Big Fella!" I cry into the phone as he picks up.

"Big Fella!" He cries back. Yes, we have pet nicknames or maybe that's just what I want to believe. He may call everybody, "Big fella."

Anyway.

Quick Max story. I was filling in for the highly talented Celtic play-by-play man Sean Grande one night when Jared Sullinger took an awful shot in the fourth quarter. It was sooooo baadddd my call went like this, "Ohhh, boy," as in "Oh brother." As a Celtic fan, I was so disheartened by the shot I never called the play! And THIS WAS ON THE RADIO!  Max laughed so hard he tinkled himself in his fine custom-made suit.

No reason for that story. I just like to tell it.

After exchanging the typical "Are you OK?" pleasantries of our time, I ask Max if Larry would be Larry in today's game. Honestly, his answer surprised me.

Now, it's well-known that Max and Kevin McHale carried Larry's ass defensively. The two had a good laugh when Bird was named NBA second-team all-defense. I was expecting Max to point out what I saw, Larry's lack of speed, ability to elevate, etc…

Nope.

"Larry would have fit in well today," said his old teammate. "With his three-point shot and the pick and roll game, he would be better in today's game."

Whoaaaa, Big Fella. Better in today's game than his glory days of the 80's?

"No one would have touched him because of the tight whistles - and of course, he could shoot the three."

The three pointer I understand, so I figured maybe Larry would just be a shooter. What do I know?

"Larry would thrive with the pick and roll. He could rebound and he was always a great passer." Max went on to say Larry would be a better Luka Doncic, who was averaging 28.7 points, 9.3 rebounds and 8.7 assists per game before this season was suspended.

Then I ask, "What about his defense, Max? You always had the tougher assignment."

Then Max pointed out Larry could have benefited from the zone D of today just like he benefited from playing alongside himself and McHale.

Shame on me for even thinking that Larry wouldn't become a legend in today's game, but he still looked slow ... but then again, who didn't when playing Jordan?

My comments:  Use the link and scroll down to the comments.  There's some good ones.  Many think Larry would be even better and would have lasted longer in today's less physical NBA game.  I tend to agree.

I also agree with Max about playing the zone defense.  Larry Bird played defense in a sort of kind of zone anyway, that's where he got many of his steals.
gyso

gyso

The 2 point shooting percentages for the 80's was very similar to those of the present generation - and Bird was probably one of the top 3 point shooters of his generation - so his shooting alone would have made him a lock for star billing in todays game

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Watching "The Last Dance" makes you wonder how Larry Bird would fit in today's NBA Empty Re: Watching "The Last Dance" makes you wonder how Larry Bird would fit in today's NBA

Post by NYCelt Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:19 pm

I've always felt that what made Bird one of the greats was mostly between his ears. That part wouldn't change today.

Bird wasn't the most physically gifted competitor, even in his era. If you were to have scouted him purely on his athletic ability, you would probably pass and draft someone else.

At the same time, there is no dog that was better in a fight. Bird may have understood the game like no one before or since. For any athlete with a well developed skill set, but an even stronger mental acuity, a game sort of slows down for them. They're able to read and anticipate the movements of their opponents and their own team. That was Bird. Given those factors, some better training, and a significant key gyso mentions, today's less physical game, I think Larry Bird would have had a longer, and still highly productive career in today's NBA.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:43 pm

I agree with out NY Celt. Larry Bird was one of the smartest players to ever play for the Celtics, no doubt. He would have found a way to survive defensively while dominating offensively, Talent is talent, brains, not all have them!!! His anticipation was phenomenal, I would wonder what his stats would be today.
Funny, I just said that about Havlicek on another post yesterday
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down