Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot

+3
dbrown4
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot Empty Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:50 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-g-avery-bradley-says-he-will-opt-out-of-nb-as-disney-world-reboot-030602080.html

Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot

Jack Baer
Writer
Yahoo Sports

Jun 23, 2020, 8:06 PM

Los Angeles Lakers guard Avery Bradley, a leading voice in player faction opposing the NBA’s reboot, has opted out of rejoining the team in Disney World for the rest of the season, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

While Bradley was reportedly in agreement with Kyrie Irving that the NBA’s reboot would take away from the players’ fight against racial injustice, ESPN reports that the main factor of Bradley’s decision is the wellbeing of his oldest child.

Bradley’s 6-year-old son Liam reportedly has a history of respiratory illness and would be unlikely to be cleared to enter the NBA bubble. With the Lakers in position for a deep playoff run, joining the team would likely have meant dividing Bradley’s family.

Bradley’s statement, from ESPN:

"As committed to my Lakers teammates and the organization as I am, I ultimately play basketball for my family. And so, at a time like this, I can't imagine making any decision that might put my family's health and well-being at even the slightest risk.

"As promised also, I will use this time away to focus on the formation of projects to help strengthen my communities."

Bradley has started 44 games for the Lakers this season and was averaging 8.6 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game before the NBA went on hiatus. The 29-year-old was an NBA first-team All-Defense selection in 2016 with the Boston Celtics.

Per ESPN, Bradley stands to lose $650,000 in salary for sitting out the rest of the season.

The veteran isn’t the only NBA player to opt out of the reboot, and he might not be the only Laker either. Dwight Howard reportedly has reservations about rejoining the team as well, and who knows what other players have issues with the bubble like Bradley’s.

Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot 384bb1d0-1959-11ea-9e3f-85f1cf8bfe30
Family is more important than basketball for Avery Bradley. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

J.R. Smith reportedly a leading candidate to replace Bradley

With Bradley out, the Lakers will have 24.2 minutes per game to replace in their backcourt. One possibility to help cover that gap is a good friend of LeBron James.

J.R. Smith, who won a championship in 2016 with James and the Cleveland Cavaliers, is a leading candidate to replace Bradley, according to Wojnarowski.

Smith has not played in the NBA this season, and was last seen beating up an alleged truck vandal in the streets of Los Angeles. He wouldn’t be a one-to-one replacement for Bradley, as the Lakers will have the option of stretching the minutes of players like Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Quinn Cook and Alex Caruso.

Davis Bertans, Trevor Ariza also opting out of NBA bubble

In addition to Bradley, Washington Wizards forward Davis Bertans and Portland Trail Blazers wing Trevor Ariza have both turned down the opportunity to play in Disney World, though the stakes are different with both of their teams currently out of the playoffs.

Bertans’ absence is due to a history of ACL injuries and the likelihood that a lucrative long-term contract awaits him in free agency this offseason. Ariza is sitting out due to a one-month visitation window with his 12-year-old son as part of an ongoing custody battle.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot Empty Re: Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot

Post by dboss Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:32 pm

As states are experiencing an uptick in Covid 19 infections particularly in places like Florida, the wisdom of the NBA restart looks more questionable.

It appears that the vast majority of players will opt in.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot Empty Re: Lakers guard Avery Bradley says he will opt out of NBA's Disney World reboot

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Having a hard time with this one as well.  Again, someone with a lot of money and nothing to lose to sit out initially for the cause, pivot to this under the reason of taking care of his child, which is fine if this is all he does, and telling the majority of the league making considerably less than that and have much more to lose to sit out the season and support the cause.  

Kinda looks exactly the same trek as our poster boy Kyrie.  Caveat Emptor.  Henry the 8th via Ghost.  Please don't get your hopes up for change when you use the same approach hoping for a different outcome.  Definition of Insanity.  Use your head.        

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:23 pm

LAL will miss him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Having a hard time with this one as well.  Again, someone with a lot of money and nothing to lose to sit out initially for the cause, pivot to this under the reason of taking care of his child, which is fine if this is all he does, and telling the majority of the league making considerably less than that and have much more to lose to sit out the season and support the cause.  

Kinda looks exactly the same trek as our poster boy Kyrie.  Caveat Emptor.  Henry the 8th via Ghost.  Please don't get your hopes up for change when you use the same approach hoping for a different outcome.  Definition of Insanity.  Use your head.        

db
                                                           There is no level at which this comment makes an iota of sense. First of all, he is giving up 650, 000.00. He says his son has respiratory problems. How is that pivoting from anything? People sometimes, believe it or not, have more than one reason for the decisions that they make. Secondly, he didn't say that he , personally, would be " taking care of his child " and there is no reason for that to be "all he does." He is sitting out, and giving up 650,000 dollars because he is afraid that his son may be exposed to the virus. People with respiratory problems are right at the top of the list of  those who may suffer terrible consequences , including death, from COVID -19.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:48 pm

I don't have the latest figures , but as of May 18th, 7 of 450 NBA players, roughly one in 65, tested positive for the virus. I salute anybody willing to surrender large amounts of money to protect his/ her family
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 pm

dboss wrote:LAL will miss him.

They won’t lose much as JR Smith is a bigger version of Avery with a similar game. The possible loss of Howard could be bigger as he was fairly good in his Perk role, letting AD go all over the floor. They were the last of a dying breed with a traditional big 4-5 combo, not a 3 playing the 4 like most of the NBA. Which means a lot more dirty work for Lebron and AD, so sure this rest was good for them.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:03 am

It certainly appears that Mr. Bradley cares more about his family than he does about money.

Good move on his part, and he should be commended.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:09 am

jrlleftfoot,

Let's let this one play out. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Just didn't pass the smell test for me in light of his and Kyrie's initial comments, that's all.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:34 am

Hope these players realize how blessed they are. Paul Pierce’s biggest contract was 15 mill a year, then read an article Vince Carter was holding out for a similar deal which he eventually did not get. Look at the contract Hayward got from us, at the time a one time all star? Not surprised AB can afford to pass on 650,000, these guys should really be thankful they can make this kind of crazy dough now. Ever see Chris Paul’s contract or John Wall?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

wideclyde wrote:It certainly appears that Mr. Bradley cares more about his family than he does about money.

I am not sure why Avery couldn't have played in Orlando while his family stayed home, thus, not bringing home anything potentially harmful to his son.
How much of Avery's decision to skip Orlando was to focus on BLM concerns or because of the health of his son?
We don't know.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:LAL will miss him.

They won’t lose much as JR Smith is a bigger version of Avery with a similar game. The possible loss of Howard could be bigger as he was fairly good in his Perk role, letting AD go all over the floor. They were the last of a dying breed with a traditional big 4-5 combo, not a 3 playing the 4 like most of the NBA. Which means a lot more dirty work for Lebron and AD, so sure this rest was good for them.

Avery's loss can probably be picked up by giving more minutes to Danny Green and Alex Caruso.
Also, the Lakers signed Dion Waiters in March and might sign JR Smith.
Will we see playoff Rondo? If so, that helps lessen the loss of Avery.
I do not think the Lakers will lose a series because Avery is not on the roster.
If Dwight decides to stay home, that will be a big loss for the Lakers.
McGee already has a pre-existing respiratory condition (asthma).
He needs to be careful and might choose to not go to Orlando.
Losing Dwight or McGee would seriously hurt the Lakers chance of winning a championship.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Minutes will be spread out to other guys but I still think they will miss him.

JR has not laced them up since Nov 2018.  Anytime you lose s major rotation guy 24 + MPG it hurts the chemistry on the team.  Guys like Pope and Caruso have no playoff experience.

All things considered LA is a better team with AB.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 pm

tjmakz wrote:
wideclyde wrote:It certainly appears that Mr. Bradley cares more about his family than he does about money.

I am not sure why Avery couldn't have played in Orlando while his family stayed home, thus, not bringing home anything potentially harmful to his son.
How much of Avery's decision to skip Orlando was to focus on BLM concerns or because of the health of his son?
We don't know.
            I'll take his word for why he is not playing, but that's just me. Either reason is satisfactory, as far as I'm concerned.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:27 pm

dbrown4 wrote:jrlleftfoot,

Let's let this one play out.  If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  Just didn't pass the smell test for me in light of his and Kyrie's initial comments, that's all.

db
Fair enough. My initial resonse to your comment is, in retrospect, rather harsh, at least as to the language I used. I should have just said that I respectfully disagreed
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 am

It sure would be great if the Covid 19 Pandemic was trending down.  

I do not have a problem with any player that opts out.

Players that have concern for family members could just let them stay home but being away from your family for an extended period of time is no joke.  I did it before and I was unhappy most days.  

The restart of the NBA season is not a good idea from a public health standpoint.  There seems to be an assumption that younger people can catch the virus and recover quickly.  However all it takes is for one NBA player to get infected and not recover.   Or it could be a coach or a staff member or a member of a player's family.   Healthcare workers, first responders, grocery clerks, meat plant workers and other essential people have to work because it is essential for them to do so but NBA basketball is a nonessential activity.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:51 pm

I agree, reluctantly . Like everyone else here, I would love to watch basketball, but dboss is absolutely correct. Public health is more important than our entertainment.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:26 pm

No problem jrleftfoot. No harm, no foul. His son may very well be chronically sick. Avery can afford the best medical care above and beyond standard medical coverage, in the bubble or out.

I'm not saying he can't do both, take care of his kid and support the BLM's cause.

It was the sequencing and his delivery of things I had question with. First, he takes a Kyrie stand about pulling out of the restart in protest to the league for a variety of reasons. Then he says he's sitting out because of his son. Which is fine. I don't know the degree of his son's illness but we will just have to trust him on this.

Then he says he will "use this time away to focus on projects that will help strengthen my communities."

Not sure what that will involved but you can't do much of that isolated at home as recent marches, rallies and rioting have proven. That would seem to contradict what he has now made as his ultimate goal which is focusing on his son. Probably putting his son in more danger by getting involved politically on the side as the recent spike in COVID has shown. It may not matter as the league is probably going to have to reassess one more time within a couple of weeks if numbers don't get better and probably cancel the season as there are just too many variables to control in the bubble.

The bubble is a great idea on paper. But the NBA needs to step up and admit they've made a mistake, cut bait and run.

If his son was the reason he was going to exit the rest of the season then just say that first. That's all. Again, let's just watch this play out.

tjmakz, you and I are looking at the same seesaw. How much of which point of focus? It just came out odd that's all. It a financial, career, medical and family issue/decision all wrapped up into one.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:20 pm

dbrown4 wrote:No problem jrleftfoot.  No harm, no foul.  His son may very well be chronically sick.  Avery can afford the best medical care above and beyond standard medical coverage, in the bubble or out.  

I'm not saying he can't do both, take care of his kid and support the BLM's cause.  

It was the sequencing and his delivery of things I had question with.  First, he takes a Kyrie stand about pulling out of the restart in protest to the league for a variety of reasons.  Then he says he's sitting out because of his son.  Which is fine.  I don't know the degree of his son's illness but we will just have to trust him on this.  

Then he says he will "use this time away to focus on projects that will help strengthen my communities."  

Not sure what that will involved but you can't do much of that isolated at home as recent marches, rallies and rioting have proven.  That would seem to contradict what he has now made as his ultimate goal which is focusing on his son.  Probably putting his son in more danger by getting involved politically on the side as the recent spike in COVID has shown.  It may not matter as the league is probably going to have to reassess one more time within a couple of weeks if numbers don't get better and probably cancel the season as there are just too many variables to control in the bubble.  

The bubble is a great idea on paper.  But the NBA needs to step up and admit they've made a mistake, cut bait and run.  

If his son was the reason he was going to exit the rest of the season then just say that first.  That's all.  Again, let's just watch this play out.

tjmakz, you and I are looking at the same seesaw.  How much of which point of focus?  It just came out odd that's all.  It a financial, career, medical and family issue/decision all wrapped up into one.    
+1
db          
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:24 pm

dbrown, there is nothing you have said that I disagree with. I'm not convinced, as an aside, that Smith will be an adequate replacement for Bradley.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:25 am

Here's an even more interesting question. If/When the Lakers win the title, does AB get a ring?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:14 am

dbrown4 wrote:Here's an even more interesting question.  If/When the Lakers win the title, does AB get a ring?

db
Funny.  I was wondering the same thing.  I think he would get a ring.   Otherwise LAL would look punitive.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am

God forbid any of the Lakers get rings. Getting a ring isn't the same as the experience of winning it all. AB knows that, but he is willing to sacrifice that experience , for family and/or societal reasons.. Always a class act wherever he has been
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down