Steve Bulpett Laid Off.

+2
gyso
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Steve Bulpett Laid Off. Empty Steve Bulpett Laid Off.

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 pm

Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald has been laid off.

I can't remember a time when the Celtics weren't covered by Mark Murphy AND Steve Bulpett. 35 years. 35 years.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Steve Bulpett Laid Off. Empty Re: Steve Bulpett Laid Off.

Post by gyso Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 am

Longtime Celtics writer Steve Bulpett part of latest round of Boston Herald layoffs

https://www.boston.com/sports/media/2020/07/01/steve-bulpett-boston-herald-layoffs

Steve Bulpett, who has covered the Celtics both at home and on the road longer than anyone in franchise history, announced Wednesday that he has been laid off from The Boston Herald.

Bulpett, a North Shore native with roots in Lynn and Swampscott, was in his 35th season of covering the Celtics. The University of Dayton graduate has earned multiple Associated Press Sports Editor Top 10 honors.

“It is impossible here to express just how great an honor it’s been to cover the Celtics and NBA and establish that bond with you,” he wrote. “I am so deeply grateful you took the time to read.”

Steve Bulpett Laid Off. Steve_10

This is the second round of recent layoffs for the newspaper, which cut at least half a dozen employees in April, including longtime sportswriter John “Jocko” Connolly, Boston Bruins reporter Marisa Ingemi, and sports editor Justin Pelletier. MediaNews Group, the Herald’s parent company, has been cutting costs at its newspapers across the country and told Pennsylvania employees in April it was due to “the impact of COVID-19 on business operations.”

The Herald is not the only newspaper making significant changes amid the pandemic – DigBoston, a free alt-weekly, halted its print edition in March, and local papers across the region underwent layoffs this spring.

“The situation with the coronavirus has led to more and more advertising defections because advertisers, number one, don’t really want their messages and their brands to be associated with coronavirus coverage, and two, because of the cancellation of arts and cultural events, because of the shutdown of movie theaters, a tremendous amount of advertising has just vanished,” John Carroll, a media analyst for NPR’s “Here & Now” told Boston.com in March. “So we’ve seen, especially alternative newspapers, which rely on events advertising to a significant degree, just unable to continue publishing.”

MediaNews Group initially laid off more than 100 employees when it bought the Herald out of bankruptcy in 2018.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:53 am

I remember the Herald during it's time as the Record American. That was in the early 1970's with Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins. My dad used to buy it every day along with the Concord Monitor and bring them home after work. I would dive into the sports pages and read everything Bruins, Red Sox and Celtics. They had a pretty good comics section as well.

It was formatted differently, much smaller (tabloid?) and it opened up like a large book.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:13 am

A sign of the times, newspapers are on their way out as we knew them. This is too bad, Bullpett covered the Celtics with a great relationship with Danny/and the owners. I wonder if ESPN would pick him up? He is so qualified as a basketball writer/reporter. Too bad it wasn't Draper!!!!! How can I get rid of him, he drives me nuts!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am

Wow! Very sad but a sign of the times.

Unrelated, I posted in the Zoom thread my predicament last night with the call. I'm good! Just didn't anticipate the weather and internet checking out! Looking forward to the next Zoom meeting!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Cold world, enjoyed his writing Crying or Very sad🥵

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:19 pm

gyso wrote:I remember the Herald during it's time as the Record American.  That was in the early 1970's with Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins.  My dad used to buy it every day along with the Concord Monitor and bring them home after work.  I would dive into the sports pages and read everything Bruins, Red Sox and Celtics.  They had a pretty good comics section as well.

It was formatted differently, much smaller (tabloid?) and it opened up like a large book.
I thought the Record American was a different paper. My recollection was the Globe, Herald Traveler and the Record American. No?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 pm

The Herald Travelerand the Record American were owned by the same company, Hearst. The Boston Herald Record American had two printings one in the am and one in the pm.

I know this because I used to have to go to the store for my Dad to get the pm paper which came out after 8 or 9 every night.  It is confusing how the names were merged, it was the Boston Herald at one point and then the Herald was sold .  Confused??  Just remember, they were one and the same in the era we are talking about.  They will be lucky to be in business in a couple of years with digital papers becoming the way of the future
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down