Trivia

5 posters

Go down

Trivia Empty Trivia

Post by beat Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Been a bit since I heard one this good. This is baseball but I think we are all sports fans at heart too.

Anyway name the only player in MLB history to get hits off 2 different Hall of Fame pitchers? And here is the tough part ON THE SAME DAY, WITH 2 DIFFERENT TEAMS? And name the pitchers too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Trivia Empty Re: Trivia

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Joel Youngblood.

Ferguson Jenkins and Steve Carlton.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Correct TJ . Now did you here it this AM or did you know it?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:32 pm

No, I did not hear it. I've been a baseball junkie since I was a kid. Growing up in North NJ I used to watch every Yankees and Mets game that I could.
I remember the trade like it was yesterday and listening to Ralph Kiner on his post-game show Kiners Korner talking about the Mets trading Youngblood.
As a coincidence Steve Carlton was my favorite player as a kid and he had to face Youngblood in that game against the Expos. Youngblood pretty much owned Carlton for some reason.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Interesting I usually am pretty good about these type of oddball things but for some reason I have/had never heard about it till Youngblood was on ESPN radio this AM.

Actually have a Carlton autograph from many many many years ago before he sort of shyed away from everything. Still had the most amazing year for a team of any pitcher I can remember with out looking it up he won nearly half his teams games one year I think. He won like 27 I think in the early 70's.

beat

PS I hate the Yankess BTW any opinion on Lee going there? Stinks in my book.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:02 pm

beat wrote:Interesting I usually am pretty good about these type of oddball things but for some reason I have/had never heard about it till Youngblood was on ESPN radio this AM.

Actually have a Carlton autograph from many many many years ago before he sort of shyed away from everything. Still had the most amazing year for a team of any pitcher I can remember with out looking it up he won nearly half his teams games one year I think. He won like 27 I think in the early 70's.

beat

PS I hate the Yankess BTW any opinion on Lee going there? Stinks in my book.

beat

Carlton was 27-10 for Phil in 1972 while the team only won 59 games.

Lee going to NY is within the rules, but it seems like piling on. I am sure Seattle would take a similar package from any other team if one was offered.
The Yankees have actually slightly lowered their payroll two years in a row. It's not surprising that they would increase it for Lee.
If the Red Sox owners weren't still paying down debt from purchasing the team, they would make the trade too, although I don't think they have any or many top prospects to offer.
Boston/Mets/Angels and other high revenue teams don't mind outspending the Rays/Padres/Reds but don't like it when the Yankees do it.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:09 pm

TJ

Just did a little checking on Carlton, cause I always thought he won more than half the teams games that year. He had 4 no decisions which the phillies went on to win, also in 5 of his losses he had a total of 10 runs for support. So he could have without to many more breaks going his way, won 9 more games that season. he could have been 36-5 and the team wouldhave won 64 games if that had happened.

beat

As for the Lee deal I was sort of hopping he'd go to Minn. I really don't have a favorite baseball team other than whomever is playing the Yankees that day.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 pm

I thought Lee would go to Minn or Texas.
The Yankees are definitely a team that you really love or really hate.
The Heat have moved into the #2 spot...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Wonder if the NBA will have metal detectors for the fans when James goes back to Cleveland to play?

I know there are nuts out there who might just do something stupid.
Heck the owner should be the first one checked out.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm

beat wrote:Wonder if the NBA will have metal detectors for the fans when James goes back to Cleveland to play?

I know there are nuts out there who might just do something stupid.
Heck the owner should be the first one checked out.

beat

Somebody should have advised LeBron he had the right to remain silent. He'd be better off today if had done it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:53 pm

tj
You grew up in Jersey?where? I grew up in Jersey too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:56 pm

beat wrote:Correct TJ . Now did you here it this AM or did you know it?

beat

Beat, how did Youngblood do it?

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:02 pm

bob

here's how it happened

On August 4, 1982, Youngblood started his day in centre field for the Mets at Wrigley Field. That was back in the day before lights on the North Side for the Cubs. Facing future Hall-of-Famer Fergie Jenkins, Youngblood singled in the third inning. In the bottom of the fourth (around 3 p.m. EDT) Youngblood was replaced by Mookie Wilson. He had been traded to the Expos for journeyman lefty reliever Tom Gorman. After talking to Expos' GM John McHale, rather than taking a full day to report, Youngblood threw his equipment into a bag, went back to the team hotel, packed his suitcase and caught a flight to Philadelphia, arriving at the start of the Expos game vs. the Phillies.

Even Youngblood was surprised when he reached his locker at Veterans Stadium and found a jersey with his name on it. The Expos' equipment manager, now with the Marlins, the brilliant John Silverman, found out about the trade right after it happened. The path of least resistance would have been to simply hand him a jersey with any number, but Silverman proudly claimed he had never had a player enter a game in a generic uniform without his name on it since teams started putting names on jerseys and he wasn't about to start now. One of the visiting clubhouse guys at the Vet suggested his wife could sew the name on, so the jersey was driven over to the house where the seamstress for a day quickly stitched the name on the back. It was hanging there when Youngblood arrived.

The Expos' newcomer entered the game defensively for Jerry White in the bottom of the sixth and singled off lefty Steve Carlton in his only at-bat of the game in the seventh. His line for the day was 2-for-3 against two future Hall-of-Fame pitchers, Jenkins and Carlton, who combined for 613 career wins.

Plus, he had his name on the jersey in both towns. Take that Darren O'Day.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks Beat, great story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down