Why didn't the Celtics sign anyone?

4 posters

Go down

Why didn't the Celtics sign anyone? Empty Why didn't the Celtics sign anyone?

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm

Greetings my fellow Celtics fans. I have been laying low, trying to survive this bizarre time we are all living through. It's been a crazy few months -  Covid-19, George LLoyd and real conversations about race, threats to delay the election, Doctors getting national attention to make Corona-virus recommendations only to later find out they believe most women's health problems arise from women sleeping with demons in their dreams - a really  crazy time. I am so glad hoops are back. Wishing JT wasn't looking like the most over-hyped player in the league right now, but so glad hoops are back.

My question for all of you who understand the cap - why didn't the Celtics do anything to strengthen their bench? From what I understand, Jamal Crawford was available. Yeah, the guy is 40, but he can still ball. Last year, he put up 51 in a game, and it was no fluke. Not sure if it was last year, but he recently averaged 30 a game for the month of April. The guy can put the ball in the bucket. And - he is a high quality individual who would have brought a veteran presence to a young team. I guess the Nets signed him now. Speaking of guys who can put the ball in the bucket, I believe IT is still available. Obviously Kemba's our guy now. Wanny is super solid, but he is no IT. Isn't a spark-plug like IT still capable of swinging the momentum of a game? I don't think he would expect to be then man again after all this time, so I don't buy that argument. Could you imagine a bench unit with Crawford and IT, along with one of Smart, Hayward, Brown or Tatum (assuming both Smart and Brown could play the 3)? That would be one hell of a bench unit. Why didn't the C's do anything? Is it a money thing??

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Why didn't the Celtics sign anyone? Empty Re: Why didn't the Celtics sign anyone?

Post by dboss Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:42 pm

We had a conversation about this last night during our post game zoom wrap up.

We do not know why Danny did not add a piece.  The overall consensus was that we could use a shooter off the bench.  

Danny may be comfortable with this  roster as is.  I doubt that our rookies are ready this year but we have to let things play out.

The Celts could have used a Vet Minimum Exception.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Why didn't the Celtics sign anyone? Empty Re: Why didn't the Celtics sign anyone?

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks Dboss - you all are doing Zoom wrap ups now?? Nice..

I have seen many articles saying that if things fall the right way, the Celtics could be a dark horse to at least make the finals. I am guessing Danny doesn't see it. But why not? The situation is so unusual that previous assumptions about likely outcomes are riddled with uncertainty. Would it have been possible to sign a couple of guys only to finish out this "season", or would they be on the books next year??

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:47 am

one reason might have been that we have a full roster and no one opted out coming back.

so there was no spot to sign anyone without dumping a player under contract.

IT is available and most pf us have soft spot for him, reality is he is not the player he was before his hip injury. He also would give up as many points as he scores (we already have one of those players in Kanter).

I am one of the few here who don't see an additional scorer as a need. I see 3 players averaging 20 or more a game (when everyone is healthy), Hayward around 17 and Smart at 13. Kanter can also score when given minutes.
Since two or more of those guys are all the floor most of the time , I don't see "bench" scoring as a need. But I understand I am in the minority in that thinking.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:22 pm

kdp59 wrote:one reason might have been that we have a full roster and no one opted out coming back.

so  there was no spot to sign anyone without dumping a player under contract.

IT is available and most pf us have soft spot for him, reality is he is not the player he was before his hip injury. He also would give up as many points as he scores (we already have one of those players in Kanter).

I am one of the few here who don't see an additional scorer as a need. I see 3 players averaging 20 or more a game (when everyone is healthy), Hayward around 17 and Smart at 13. Kanter can also score when given minutes.
 Since two or more of those guys are all the floor most of the time , I don't see "bench" scoring as a need. But I understand I am in the minority in that thinking.

kdp59

We were 29th in scoring off the bench this year.  That ranking seems to beg for more scoring.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?StarterBench=Bench&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=PTS&dir=-1
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Net Rating for our bench is 1.6 which puts Boston at #6
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:54 pm

We were having this discussion on zoom, while I still like the rooks we have and haven’t given up on their potential, it still is potential as was pointed out on zoom and right now they are not reliable. I didn’t know Jamal Crawford had such great recent production and agree now we sure could have used him, having a veteran good for 2-3 3’s a game coming off the bench is a great weapon to have. The 08 team had 2 guys like that in House and Posey. Well maybe one of the young kids can still step up.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down