official josh howard thread

5 posters

Go down

official josh howard thread Empty official josh howard thread

Post by Matty Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 am

tony's replacement?

i sort of like this deal if we sign Nate as well- http://realgm.net/src_wiretap_archives/68079/20100712/bulls_celtics_express_interest_in_josh_howard/#
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

official josh howard thread Empty Re: official josh howard thread

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 am

The scouting report I read said this 6' 7" G-F is a good enough athlete to play anything SG and had the body to play PF. That's the kind of player the Celtics need. It also said he was an "energetic" defender.

But, as I understand it, he made nearly $11 million last season. He appears to be a free agent; and, at age 29, it would seem he'd want more money rather than to be willing to settle for less. What combination of ingredients could the Celtics put together in a trade to do the deal? Sheed's contract, Scal and Daniels? I've lost track of Daniels. Anyone know if he has signed elsewhere?

KG, JO, Perk (a real question mark), Davis, a vet minimum big, Pierce, Ray, Rondo, Josh, Nate or Eddie, and some hopefully developing kids. Enough to do the job?

I like the idea of having a swing man on the bench. But, if he can play both SG and SF, he can't do both simultaneously. We need someone with reasonable height to play the other of the two positions in order to keep Ray or Paul from having to play with the bench. Could Janning be given a shot at SG or Harangody at SF, with Josh playing the other of the two positions?

There's definitely the feeling that this team is a work in progress. Thanks for the link, Matty.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:50 am

Sam wrote:The scouting report I read said this 6' 7" G-F is a good enough athlete to play anything SG and had the body to play PF. That's the kind of player the Celtics need. It also said he was an "energetic" defender.

But, as I understand it, he made nearly $11 million last season. He appears to be a free agent; and, at age 29, it would seem he'd want more money rather than to be willing to settle for less. What combination of ingredients could the Celtics put together in a trade to do the deal? Sheed's contract, Scal and Daniels? I've lost track of Daniels. Anyone know if he has signed elsewhere?

KG, JO, Perk (a real question mark), Davis, a vet minimum big, Pierce, Ray, Rondo, Josh, Nate or Eddie, and some hopefully developing kids. Enough to do the job?

I like the idea of having a swing man on the bench. But, if he can play both SG and SF, he can't do both simultaneously. We need someone with reasonable height to play the other of the two positions in order to keep Ray or Paul from having to play with the bench. Could Janning be given a shot at SG or Harangody at SF, with Josh playing the other of the two positions?

There's definitely the feeling that this team is a work in progress. Thanks for the link, Matty.

Sam

sam,

According to Daniels' Wikipedia page, he's "most recently played for the Boston Celtics". Sounds like he's still unsigned.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Bob,

With Tony gone, I actually woke up last night thinking how valuable the Bird rights to Daniels and Scal could be for the purpose of sign-and-trade. Perhaps in combination with Sheed's contract. But there time limits on such moves because, just as Tony's now gone, so Daniels and Scal could be gone quickly.

And, in my mind, the single most pivotal remaining issue influencing next season may be Sheed's decision. Have you heard the rumor that he's planning to announce his decision over his local community television outlet with a VFW fife-and drum corps playing in the background? I think it's a nice touch.

Seriously, delaying his decision is almost like announcing Sheed will stay. Because the longer he delays, the less useful his contract becomes for trade purposes as all the good possibilities get scooped up.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Sam wrote:Bob,

With Tony gone, I actually woke up last night thinking how valuable the Bird rights to Daniels and Scal could be for the purpose of sign-and-trade. Perhaps in combination with Sheed's contract. But there time limits on such moves because, just as Tony's now gone, so Daniels and Scal could be gone quickly.

And, in my mind, the single most pivotal remaining issue influencing next season may be Sheed's decision. Have you heard the rumor that he's planning to announce his decision over his local community television outlet with a VFW fife-and drum corps playing in the background? I think it's a nice touch.

Seriously, delaying his decision is almost like announcing Sheed will stay. Because the longer he delays, the less useful his contract becomes for trade purposes as all the good possibilities get scooped up.

Sam

sam,

First, I don't think we have Bird Rights with Daniels. (I'm pretty sure) he didn't come to us with Bird Rights and has only been here for 1 year.

Scal, though, we do. The question is: who wants Scal so badly they'll pay a premium for the privilege of being able to sign him to the next contract. That's where Scal's Bird Rights will come in handy.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Bob,

I was wasn't sure whether we had Bird Rights with Daniels. I'm just wondering how Josh Howard could possibly become a Celtic given his salary expectations without our trading back a darned good player. The Celtics need to add good players.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Howard would be a good fit for Boston. He is long and athletic and can guard a couple of positions. The big question is how he will perform after his surgery.
It is extremely doubtful that Washington would have any interest in a sign and trade for Scal and or Daniels. These two are probably going to sign minimum salaries with some team. Washington is not interested in filling their bench with some other teams spare parts.
If Boston would trade Rasheed and a #1 pick or two #2 picks, Washington would probably take that trade as long as Rasheed retires.
Washington was willing to let Howard walk away for nothing, so they won't go out of their way to help Boston without it significantly benefitting their team via draft picks.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:34 pm

No Bird rights with Daniels. We signed him as a free agent.

There were a couple teams referenced early on that had interest in Scal. The Nets and 76ers. For them to do a sign and trade for Scal, they would like to send a player to us that has a "bad contract".

Nobody on the Nets stands out. The 76ers have Iguodala (12.3mil) and Nocioni (6.85mil) on their roster on HoopsHype. Either of them sounds nice but it would be hard to get enough contracts to get close to 10mil, which is what it would take for Igy.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down