dboss
cowens/oldschool
Shamrock1000
swish
8 posters

Go down

Small Ball Empty Small Ball

Post by swish Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 am

Because of the Rockets elimination the other night, some on this board are assuming that SMALL BALL is now going to be of diminished importance - but I don't see that happening.First of all this 21st century offensive style of ball is nothing more than a long ball version of the game that I grew up with back in the 50's - just a case of a lot more shots from downtown with even the BIGS stepping out from behind the 3 point line to demonstrate their long range skills. While others in the past 20 years have had considerable sucess with their distant shooting Houston this past season has been flat out lousy from all the different ranges. Ranking 24th at 3pt range, 13th at 16-3pt, 18th at 10-16 ft and 23rd at 3-10 ft. Golden State in 2017-18 ranked 1st, 1st, 1st and 3rd

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Small Ball Empty Re: Small Ball

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:47 am

swish wrote:Because of the Rockets elimination the other night, some on this board are assuming that SMALL BALL is now going to be of diminished importance - but I don't see that happening.First of all this 21st century offensive style of ball is nothing more than a long ball version of the game that I grew up with back in the 50's - just a case of a lot more shots from downtown with even the BIGS stepping out from behind the 3 point line to demonstrate  their long range skills. While others in the past 20 years have had considerable sucess with their distant shooting Houston this past season has been flat out lousy from all the different ranges. Ranking 24th at 3pt range, 13th at 16-3pt, 18th at 10-16 ft and 23rd at 3-10 ft.  Golden State in 2017-18 ranked 1st, 1st, 1st and 3rd

swish

Interesting. In fact, your post shows the efficiency of the 3-pt shot - a team that is not particularly good at taking them made it into the 2nd round of the playoffs simply by taking a lot of them. I don't love the 3-pt shot. I miss the creativity it took to make a clever pass to someone closer to the basket, or the athleticism and vision it took to snake in on a drive. However, math doesn't lie. The only way the three goes away is if they move the line far enough back that players can only hit them at ~20%, and with modern players that would have to be very far back. I have often thought it would be really interesting if the NBA limited the number of 3s each team could take, say 20 per game. After taking 20 3's, subsequent shots from behind the line would only be worth 2. It would add a whole new level of strategy to the game; when is the best time to use your 3s? Which players should be allowed to take them?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:09 pm

GS also had a 7ft freak player in Durant and a 7 footer in Bogut, so maybe it should be called elite 3 point shooting ball, instead of small ball.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:05 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:GS also had a 7ft freak player in Durant and a 7 footer in Bogut, so maybe it should be called elite 3 point shooting ball, instead of small ball.

cowens

Exactly my point old school - and basketball has now taken the same route as baseball did with the homerun back in the 20's and football did with the long forward pass back in the early 1900's. If you have the high percentage shooters from deep - you would be crazy not to fire away. The way the game is played now players are no longer, more or less, restricted to shooting from certain ranges based on size. Bigs are no longer chained to the paint and baseball and football have never reverted back to those early years. The choke grip on the bat is gone and now the QUARTERBACKS arm is treasured.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:05 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:GS also had a 7ft freak player in Durant and a 7 footer in Bogut, so maybe it should be called elite 3 point shooting ball, instead of small ball.

cowens

Exactly my point old school - and basketball has now taken the same route as baseball did with the homerun back in the 20's and football did with the long forward pass back in the early 1900's. If you have the high percentage shooters from deep - you would be crazy not to fire away. The way the game is played now players are no longer, more or less, restricted to shooting from certain ranges based on size. Bigs are no longer chained to the paint and baseball and football have never reverted back to those early years. The choke grip on the bat is gone and now the QUARTERBACKS arm is treasured.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:05 pm

I expect the NBA to sample a 4 point shot in the next pre-season.

As more centers come up after playing on the perimeter in HS and college it will no longer be small ball. IT will be long ball. But it is not just about the center stretching the floor. It is also about how they can play defense at or away from the basket. It is really an issue of mobility and versatility. Small ball or using smaller players as bigs is not a completely new concept. See Boston Celtics with a frontline of Dave Cowens, Paul Silas and John Havlicek.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 pm

dboss wrote:I expect the NBA to sample a 4 point shot in the next pre-season.

As more centers come up after playing on the perimeter in HS and college it will no longer be small ball.  IT will be long ball.  But it is not just about the center stretching the floor.  It is also about how they can play defense at or away from the basket.  It is really an issue of mobility and versatility.  Small ball or using smaller players as bigs is not a completely new concept.  See Boston Celtics with a frontline of Dave Cowens, Paul Silas and John Havlicek.

God, I hope not....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Swish really understands the game and its progression. Wisdom sure does come with age in his case.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Speaking of smallball, the latest rumor is that Philly is leaning towards hiring Mike D'Antoni as the replacement to Brett Brown and, if they do, they are open to trades.

D'Antoni is the King of Smallball.  I have no idea how Embiid would fit into his concept of basketball.

Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA
Starting to hear a lot of buzz that the Philadelphia 76ers are are letting teams know they are open to trade talks if they hire Mike D'Antoni to be their next head coach. Philadelphia realizes that current roster, with all the bigs, isn't built to be a successful D'Antoni team.
11:31 AM · Sep 23, 2020

Would you trade for Embiid? If so, make your offer here.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:54 pm

I woud trade Kemba for Embiid and draft or trade for a pg.
A crazy idea, I know, but Philly is a crazy organization.

Last edited by worcester on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 pm

worcester wrote:I woukd trade Kemba for Embiid and draft or trade for a pg

worcester,

You think Kemba for Embiid, straight up, would be enough?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Only if Philly continues to be a poorly run franchise, so maybe.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:26 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
dboss wrote:I expect the NBA to sample a 4 point shot in the next pre-season.

As more centers come up after playing on the perimeter in HS and college it will no longer be small ball.  IT will be long ball.  But it is not just about the center stretching the floor.  It is also about how they can play defense at or away from the basket.  It is really an issue of mobility and versatility.  Small ball or using smaller players as bigs is not a completely new concept.  See Boston Celtics with a frontline of Dave Cowens, Paul Silas and John Havlicek.

God, I hope not....

It's coming.  It is the next logical change.  We are seeing more guys shots really deep 3 balls.  The new mantra will be, "don't foul a 4 point shooter" Laughing
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 pm

For Embiid:

I would add both late first round picks, Kemba and Semi O.
I might even give them #14.

Add one of V-Po or Kanter.
Add Waters, Green and/or Edwards. Small ball, right?

Keep both J's, Smart, Hayward, Theis, Wannamaker.
Keep Tacko, both Williams brothers and Romeo.

Is that enough?

Does that leave us with Smart as our starting PG? I can live with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:16 pm

"Small Ball"

I do not like Small Ball at all
I do not like it
With my Ball

I do not like it here or there
I do not like it anywhere
I do not like it in the post down low
I would not, could not, with a free-throw

I will not watch it in the rain