If you love Jaylen, you'll love this story.

+4
dboss
Shamrock1000
gyso
worcester
8 posters

Go down

If you love Jaylen, you'll love this story. Empty If you love Jaylen, you'll love this story.

Post by worcester Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:57 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29933515/nba-playoffs-celtics-jaylen-brown-player-moment
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

If you love Jaylen, you'll love this story. Empty Re: If you love Jaylen, you'll love this story.

Post by gyso Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks Worcester, nice read.

Back to top Go down

If you love Jaylen, you'll love this story. Empty Re: If you love Jaylen, you'll love this story.

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:11 am

I like Steven's quote near the end - I have thought the same thing about Jalen:

"I believe his greatest impact, as good as he has been at basketball, won't be on the court,"

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

This is a very nice story.

Hey Danny you need to lock this kid up for years...Oh that's right you already did that.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:37 am

And the fans booed when he was chosen, remember that? He has shut them all up as far as I am concerned. Has gotten better with each season, this one being his best before the shut down
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 am

Oh yes, I remember the crying and gnashing of teeth when Danny picked him at #3.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Wyc was shocked at the reaction, he was the one announcing the pick. I did not think Boston fans were capable of being so negative. This reminded me of NY
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:21 pm

I don't follow college sports.  So, when draft day came in 2016 I really didn't know whether picking Jaylen Brown #3 was a good pick or not.  I knew there was almost universal belief that he was a reach at 3, that he probably would have been more appropriately picked @ 7 or so and that Danny blew a highly coveted top 3 pick.

Then I heard Jaylen speak during his first post-draft interview and fell in love.  He was far more mature than his 19 years, and social issues never even came up back then.  I read that scouts were worried that he might be "too smart" to be a good basketball player.  Ridiculous.  As if being a quick-and-openminded thinker would be a detriment to an athlete who, at the pro level, one of the biggest assets they can have is a well-developed 4" muscle between the ears (not that that's so bad for the rest of us either).

If you look at the Post-Brad Stevens picks, I think we've done pretty well for where we picked.  Were there mistakes, ESPECIALLY IN HINDSIGHT?  Sure.  One could point to moving up from 16 to 13 to pick Kelly Olynyk instead of drafting The Greek Freak (who went at 15), but everybody 14 and below slept on Giannis.  Overall, though?

2013 - Kelly Olynyk (13)
2014 - Marcus Smart (6), James Young (17)
2015 - Terry Rozier (16), RJ Hunter (28)
2016 - Jaylen Brown (3), Guerschon Yabusele (16)
2017 - Jayson Tatum (3)
2018 - Robert Williams III (27)
2019 - Romeo Langford (14), Grant Williams (22)

This doesn't include 2nd-round longshots like Semi, who have worked out, only 1st rounders.

5 lottery picks in 7 years.  One disappointment (Kelly) and the jury is still out on another (Romeo).  Let's let Romeo off the hook, because of his injury-riddled season (hoping it's not chronic!) and make it 3 out of 4.

I realize I've gotten a bit far afield from the original post, which was about Jaylen, but what I'm trying to say here is that while there were some obvious picks (e.g. Tatum @ #3, if not #1) Danny's other 2 high draft picks weren't so obvious.  Smart was seen as a perhaps-uncoachable non-shooting hothead who went into the stands after a fan who racially insulted him and Jaylen was seen as an overly-intellectual, non-shooter and Danny (and Brad) stuck the landing on both of them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm

LOL...the way back machine!!

a couple things....I talked a lot about trades even then ( still don't know a thing)

Rambone was still around pissing off me and Cowens.

we were THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS close to getting Jimmy Butler.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:15 pm

kdp59 wrote:

LOL...the way back machine!!

a couple things....I talked a lot about trades even then  ( still don't know a thing)

Rambone was still around pissing off me and Cowens.

we were THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS close to getting Jimmy Butler.

kdp,

Butler was the 2011 draft, so he predated Brad, who arrived in time for the 2012 draft (barely!).

He's also on his 4th team in 8 years.  He's not getting passed around like he's a trade filler but he has not shown much loyalty after Chicago (the team who drafted him) either.

Try thinking of it this way:  If we had drafted Jimmy Butler at #27 instead of JuJuan Johnson (now THAT will make you crazy!) then how could we have afforded to pay him his money?  Where would the money to resign Smart and Brown have come from?  Maybe Butler would have been traded to Cleveland in the Kyrie trade?  

How's your head feeling now?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:31 pm

I said in a previous post, I just wonder how some of these guys would have ever developed if Doc was still the coach. Rondo and Bradley got good playing time, but I really wonder if Brown would have even seen the light of day from the bench with Doc around. Having Brad has been a blessing for these young guys. He has played them, and let them learn from their mistakes. I do see him pulling the reins in on Robert Williams lately. Early mistakes have landed him on the bench in the last few games.

Again, off the original post in one way, but Jaylen was lucky to come to a team of young, talented players and show how good he really is/was. He just keeps getting better and better

And, when Chris paul steps down, watch for Jaylen to step up in the union
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Bob,

I was reading the thread from the year Brown was drafted and there seemed to be much "rumor" about Butler getting traded to Boston that year.

maybe the rumors ere mine, maybe not.

I ain't admitting anything!!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm

kdp59 wrote:Bob,

I was reading the thread from the year Brown was drafted and there seemed to be much "rumor" about Butler getting traded to Boston that year.

maybe the rumors ere mine, maybe not.

I ain't admitting anything!!!

You are correct - I remember clearly every writer and fan was speculating that Ainge would trade the 3rd pick for Butler. Many experts gave Ainge a poor grade for keeping the pick and choosing Jaylen.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:55 am

gyso,

That was a great look-back.

The top take-away I got reading through that one was that sometimes we fans guess right too.

It seemed the consensus was that Brown was a very good if slightly unexpected pick. I was among those on a Buddy Hield campaign that year.

Brown turned out as good as advertised, maybe even better.

Where the majority of us guessed right was Yabusele and to a lesser degree Zizic. I think the general consensus around Boston and the entire league on Yabusele was either WTF? (Boston) or hysterical laughter (the entire league). Boston fans kind of seemed to like him though, and certainly rooted for him. Yabusele was apparently at least a good guy and good teammate.

My own guess that Jackson was a steal and would play before Yabusele and Zizic further proved why I'm not employed as an NBA draft scout.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:37 am

Well now, Yabusele may have not made it in the NBA but if you need some new, inspiring clothing, he is not a fashion designer. So, maybe we will start seeing his ex-teammates in smart sassy atitire. Did you see that outfit Jason walked into the arena with before game 3???? I would love to have some of you guys be confident enough to pull that one off!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:56 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Well now, Yabusele may have not made it in the NBA but if you need some new, inspiring clothing, he is not a fashion designer.  So, maybe we will start seeing his ex-teammates in smart sassy atitire.  Did you see that outfit Jason walked into the arena with before game 3???? I would love to have some of you guys be confident enough to pull that one off!!

Rosalie,

I can't even leave the house in the morning without my wife sending me back upstairs to put on a different tie!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down