Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort'

+5
NYCelt
wideclyde
jrleftfoot
cowens/oldschool
dboss
9 posters

Go down

Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort' Empty Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort'

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:04 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30018058/see-brooklyn-nets-having-head-coach

Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort'

1:37 PM PT

Royce Young
ESPN Staff Writer

The Brooklyn Nets named Steve Nash their head coach in early September, but stars Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant see Nash in more of a collaborative role and not as the head of top-down leadership.

"I don't really see us having a head coach," Irving said on Durant's new podcast, "The Etcs." "KD could be a head coach, I could be a head coach [some days]."

Durant followed up by agreeing with Irving, calling it a "collaborative effort" and naming assistant and former interim head coach Jacque Vaughn as someone who could fill the role any given day.

Nash, who was a shock hire by the Nets, said when he was named coach that he was especially excited to work with Irving, calling the star point guard a "savant with the basketball." Irving, though, said on the podcast that he doesn't know Nash that well but is looking forward to working with him.

"Steve is great, and I have a relationship with him that's going to build over time, bro," Irving said. "Steve don't know me from anything he heard or he's heard someone else. We've worked out one time in 2014, but it's grown as just a respectful relationship from afar. I saw him at the Hall of Fame two years ago, gave him a big hug and now he's the head coach. And I think it's also going to change the way we see coaches.

"I want somebody that's gonna understand that I am a human being first, I serve my community first, and then basketball is something I do every day because I love," Irving said. "We always heard and saw how great Nash was as a player, but also when you get to know him as a person, you understand why he can coexist with us. We don't need someone to come in with their coaching philosophy and change everything we're doing."

Durant has a strong relationship with Nash, forged during his time with the Golden State Warriors, where Nash was a player development coach.

"I think having Steve there and collaborating with our floor general every day is only gonna yield good results for our scorers like myself and Taurean [Prince], Caris [LaVert] and Spencer [Dinwiddie]," Durant said. "Them having that relationship I think is gonna be key for us going forward."

Durant acknowledged the unique leadership dynamic within the Nets, especially with him, Irving and Nash.

"I think a lot of people may question our leadership, overall or just us two," Durant said. "But when me and Ky talked about being coached every single day, I think that's leading by example and I think a lot of our teammates are gonna follow that."

Irving also addressed crunch-time situations and how he and Durant will play off each other and who would take the last shot. Irving said it would be about "who was hot" at the time but explained that this is the first time in his career he feels like he has a crunch-time equal on his team.

"One thing I've always been comfortable with, I felt like I was the best option on every team I played for down the stretch," Irving said. "This is the first time in my career I've looked down and be like, 'That motherf---er can make that shot too.' And he'll probably do it a lot easier.

"It's not so much deferring, because in past situations where I didn't take the last shot I felt guilty. I want this game-winning shot, but also you want to trust your teammates. Not that I didn't trust my teammates, but I felt like I was the best option."

The remarks were seemingly a shot at LeBron James, with whom Irving played three seasons in Cleveland. James told ESPN on Thursday that he was aware of Irving's comments but declined to comment further.

Irving posted a series of videos on Twitter later Thursday in which he responded to the speculation he was taking a shot at James, referring to it as "false narratives."

"Why must it always be brother against brother... why?" Irving said. "If I'm addressing anyone, I'll say their name. Come on, y'all. Don't listen to the false narratives. Let people live their lives! It's just a game.

"You talk openly. You talk freely. But because we live in a clickbait society, it becomes something bigger. You don't have to defend it. That's just what media is. ... It's entertainment. I'm not going to let it put me against anybody anymore, at any point. Because that's not what it's about. ... Don't have to put me against anyone else! It's never been about that. It's about the love. Peace."

bob
MY NOTE:  "I don't really see us having a head coach," Irving said on Durant's new podcast, "The Etcs." "KD could be a head coach, I could be a head coach [some days]." Poor Steve Nash, who was just hired to be the Head Coach.  I am SO glad he's gone. Cancer can be cured. Kyrie can't be cured, only excised through a trade. Maybe someone in the NY/NJ area could post some comments/commentary from the local sportswriters and sports fans as to what they think about this?  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort' Empty Re: Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort'

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:17 am

I commented on another site about this story. This is a joke. I hope Nash knows what he is in for. All I can remember is him yelling at Brad because he did not call a play for him, screaming and yelling at Brad. His true colors will come out, sooner or later
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort' Empty Re: Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant say Brooklyn Nets' coaching will be 'collaborative effort'

Post by dbrown4 Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am

Hey BobH,

I added in the Steve Nash thread this same article. I love a good shitshow when it's not us!! Here it comes!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:30 am

This is like Brad Stevens saying, "Well, we don't really have a GM in Boston, per se.  Some days it's me, some days it's Danny, some days it's the assistant coaches and I even listen to the players and let them be GM.  Just depends on the mood.

Complete gross insubordination.  Ah, but that's what unionization and a contract can provide for you...cover.  So you can say stupid crap like this an not get fired!!

I'm hoping for a response from Steve-O right away today before the mutiny starts! (Who am I kidding?!! It started months ago!!)  

Anyone?  Bueller?!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:16 pm

The funny thing about this whole thing is, KD coming out and admitting that he and Kyrie got together at the All Star game and planned their union. KD has proven to not be as great a teammate as one thought, so, you now have two jerks, making tons of money, telling a first time coach what to do and when to do it. This is really going to be a circus in the making.

If I were Spencer Dinwiddie, I would beg for a trade
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I have never ever heard players especially those in the elite category reject the idea of a head coach.

The comments coming from KI align closely with his rejection of Brad Stevens. He refused to play the right way. He just wants to play the way he wants to.

I hate to throw another dart at Danny Ainge but he never should have made the trade for KI. He did not dig deep enough into his mindset to determine if he was really coachable.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:30 pm

I wish Marcus Smart would have punched Kyrie in the face last year....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Everyone liked it in the beginning. We were not going to have Isaiah so, what was he to do. On paper it looked awesome, after a year and a half, it was a nightmare.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:11 pm

oh, oh. Last exit to Brooklyn.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:08 pm

dbrown4 wrote:This is like Brad Stevens saying, "Well, we don't really have a GM in Boston, per se.  Some days it's me, some days it's Danny, some days it's the assistant coaches and I even listen to the players and let them be GM.  Just depends on the mood.

Complete gross insubordination.  Ah, but that's what unionization and a contract can provide for you...cover.  So you can say stupid crap like this an not get fired!!

I'm hoping for a response from Steve-O right away today before the mutiny starts! (Who am I kidding?!! It started months ago!!)  

Anyone?  Bueller?!

db
I don’t know what unionization has to do with anything said on that podcast. I don’t believe players think about that kind of stuff when they talk to the media.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:00 pm

Ktron wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:This is like Brad Stevens saying, "Well, we don't really have a GM in Boston, per se.  Some days it's me, some days it's Danny, some days it's the assistant coaches and I even listen to the players and let them be GM.  Just depends on the mood.

Anyone?  Bueller?!

db
I don’t know what unionization has to do with anything said on that podcast. I don’t believe players think about that kind of stuff when they talk to the media.
Maybe he got this from Brad...you know all the player empowerment narrative to explain the lack of a team captain.   silent
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:22 am

I have been in sports as a player and a coach for over 60 years and have never heard of such a plan never mind hearing that it worked.

Someone already mentioned that the other players on the team may want to get out of town before the season starts.

Predicting the demise of this plan is easy, but it should be interesting (at least different) to watch from afar.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I wish Marcus Smart would have punched Kyrie in the face last year....

Now there is something I would have loved to see.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:50 am

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I wish Marcus Smart would have punched Kyrie in the face last year....

Now there is something I would have loved to see.

I would have started a GoFundMe page if I had thought there was a legit shot at it...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:15 pm

ktron,

Under the union scenario that the NBA has, these guys, especially the ones at the top of the player food chain in this case, are clearly much freer to speak their minds and have an audience than say a Romeo Langford.

Think of it this way. If you are still working and are not the president/owner of a non-unionized company, go into your place of business Monday morning in front of your boss and tell him/her you and he/she are going to collaborate for the next year on how he/she can do their job better because of his/her inexperience. Then count the seconds until you are unceremoniously shown the door. If you aren't on top...

Even another way. My wife has tenure teaching in the public schools. She is way more vocal on expressing her opinion of things happening at school and will tell people there so, higher ups, etc. on any issue than if she did not have tenure. Except for extreme circumstances, you can't be fired. Merely having tenure affords her that ability and level of comfort. Does she go off all the time? Absolutely not. But she is considerably more brave with tenure than without it.

KI and KD know this and will continue to run right up to the fence line and tap dance right around it until they start playing and losing. Who's going to fire them?

Now the funniest story I have was a previous boss of mine who went out with a rookie sales person to help an existing customer over business lunch. My boss was telling the customer that what they were asking for would not work under these conditions. The rookie salesperson felt he was sabotaging her from getting a sale, so much so, she hurled the sandwich she was eating at my bosses face in defiance!

Now that was gross insubordination. Do you think she was fired? Let's just say she didn't make to the next round.

I'm still waiting for any comment from Steve-O...Looks like he's finding his place.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:12 pm

There is a time and a place for everything. The problem is, Kyrie and KD, are of the belief that they know more than Steve Nash. Steve played the game for how many years????? How good was he????? This is a time bomb waiting to go off. Winning will help, Losing will light the ignition to the bomb

Bob, I would have offered a contribution to that GoFundMe page for Marcus. By the way, in my opinion Kyrie would not have had a chance. He would have held his head after the first shot, and gone off to the locker room whimpering
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:39 am

dbrown4 wrote:ktron,

Under the union scenario that the NBA has, these guys, especially the ones at the top of the player food chain in this case, are clearly much freer to speak their minds and have an audience than say a Romeo Langford.  

Think of it this way.  If you are still working and are not the president/owner of a non-unionized company, go into your place of business Monday morning in front of your boss and tell him/her you and he/she are going to collaborate for the next year on how he/she can do their job better because of his/her inexperience.  Then count the seconds until you are unceremoniously shown the door.  If you aren't on top...

Even another way.  My wife has tenure teaching in the public schools.  She is way more vocal on expressing her opinion of things happening at school and will tell people there so, higher ups, etc. on any issue than if she did not have tenure.  Except for extreme circumstances, you can't be fired.  Merely having tenure affords her that ability and level of comfort.  Does she go off all the time?  Absolutely not.  But she is considerably more brave with tenure than without it.      

KI and KD know this and will continue to run right up to the fence line and tap dance right around it until they start playing and losing.  Who's going to fire them?

Now the funniest story I have was a previous boss of mine who went out with a rookie sales person to help an existing customer over business lunch.  My boss was telling the customer that what they were asking for would not work under these conditions.  The rookie salesperson felt he was sabotaging her from getting a sale, so much so, she hurled the sandwich she was eating at my bosses face in defiance!

Now that was gross insubordination.  Do you think she was fired?  Let's just say she didn't make to the next round.

I'm still waiting for any comment from Steve-O...Looks like he's finding his place.      

db  
I understand but I don’t think most players that don’t have tenure think about that. There’s plenty that speak their mind and end up getting jettisoned or benched. Even though their complaint is totally legit. That’s probably why As a whole, unions are a good thing. Players/workers need some sort of protection.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:41 am

I have always been of the opinion (and I have heard some of the best of the best say it) Every player needs a coach.
If they think they don’t, well thats what they get for thinking.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:50 am

ktron,

Suffice it to say these two clowns are trying to buck the system or at least lead us to believe they are arrogant enough to try it.  Can you blame them?  Not really.  They are clearly bored, starving for the attention which will be coming their way soon enough and biding their time in anticipation for next season.  My wife's paycheck again that by the time the season starts, they will be back in line.    

Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down