What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks?

+5
worcester
gyso
cowens/oldschool
kdp59
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks?

What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_lcap0%What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_lcap17%What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_lcap17%What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_lcap0%What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_lcap49%What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 6

What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Empty What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks?

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:15 pm

Let's get a board-wide feel for this.

Multiple Choice not allowed.

Vote Cancelling ok, so you can change your mind.

If you think he'll trade out of the 1st round (or trade for a future first round pick) say so.

If you think he'll trade picks for higher picks (e.g. #14 + #26 for #9) specify that.  If you think he'll trade picks plus a player for picks or players, specify that.

I realize Danny wouldn't tell anybody what he had for lunch, much less what trades might be on the table (although a reasonable assumption would be that lunch was something from Chipotles) but take a swing at it.  Will he trade for a veteran or for a higher draft pick?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Empty Re: What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks?

Post by kdp59 Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm already all in with trading #14 and maybe one of the later picks in a bigger trade with vet players, to get a vet big man.

second option would be to move up for a big man Ainge likes.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks? Empty Re: What Do You Think Danny Will Do With THREE Draft Picks?

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 pm

kdp59 wrote:I'm already all in with trading #14 and maybe one of the later picks in a bigger trade with vet players, to get a vet big man.

Really? So what veteran did you have in mind? Assuming trade bait would be GH or Kemba with other parts thrown in....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:32 pm

Just to add some clarity, and please check me on this GYSO, draft picks have zero salary impact in a trade UNTIL they are signed.

So, if I've got this right, we could draft a player another team wants with the understanding that we'd sign-and-trade them immediately for a veteran under contract with the other team, but we can't trade the pick on draft day without including a signed player for $ matching purposes..

The salary of a #14 pick is about $2.9M.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:01 am

Bob,

There's no such thing as a draft-and-sign-and-trade. LOL.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ wrote:101. When can't a player be traded?

For 30 days after signing as a draft pick. This applies even for later-signed first round picks, who are signed using cap room at least three seasons after they are drafted (see question number 49).

Draft picks have zero salary impact in a trade UNTIL they are signed, as you say. They would usually just make the trade on draft day and throw in some combination of signed players to match salaries. Maybe they get a third team involved.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:04 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
kdp59 wrote:I'm already all in with trading #14 and maybe one of the later picks in a bigger trade with vet players, to get a vet big man.

Really? So what veteran did you have in mind? Assuming trade bait would be GH or Kemba with other parts thrown in....

I've already made some suggestions on that and while I am certainly not unwilling to say the same thing over and over and over and...................................... as most know....LOL.

M. Turner is my favorite, as he is one of the few vet big men who we could get and "might" be available

there has been rumors about A. Drummond (I think Bob posted a story), but I don't think he fits with what Stevens likes in a big man.

S. Adams at Okl is somewhere between the two above and since the Thunder may be tearing it down could possible be available aslo.

C. Capela at Atlanta makes the list here only because the Hawks may be able to draft a big man early. But there has been zero rumors that I have seen that they are looking to move Capela at all

our old friend A. Horford is generally considered to be available also, though we don't know what Rivers thinks of him there.

those are the only vet big men I see as upgrades over Theis , who "may" be available for trade this off-season.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 am

Other. He will package a least two of the picks to move up and may move into round 2 with another.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:58 pm

I choose other because I do not know what Danny is thinking.

Has he interviewed a top 15 guy yet?  We are just about 3 weeks from the draft.  

The only thing that we know is that Danny does not believe that this team is good enough.  We also know that similar statements from him in the past has led to trades.  Trades however cannot move forward until the NBAPA agrees to the new CAP and corresponding escrow that will impact their paychecks.  

Danny however should be at least able to discuss possible trades with some teams out there.  He could pile up some 'what if' offers.

Danny is not going to use all three picks to fill roster spots.  I would like for him to draft at least one quality prospect.  And maybe trade down by acquiring a 2nd rounder and maybe a future 1st rounder.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:41 pm

I said he trades 14, keeps 26 and 30.

Not what I would want to see, just call it a gut feeling that's what he will do.

For extra credit (if we get extra credit) I say he swaps 14 for a pick in next year's draft, thus securing two first rounders next year. He then explains the deal by saying there was no one he wanted, or evaluated as being worth it at 14, that he couldn't do just as well with at 26 or 30.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:57 am

NYCelt wrote:I said he trades 14, keeps 26 and 30.

Not what I would want to see, just call it a gut feeling that's what he will do.

For extra credit (if we get extra credit) I say he swaps 14 for a pick in next year's draft, thus securing two first rounders next year. He then explains the deal by saying there was no one he wanted, or evaluated as being worth it at 14, that he couldn't do just as well with at 26 or 30.

while I understand the "moving the pick forward" idea...I do not like it without getting some return the team can use this season.

But who knows, perhaps I feel the team is ready to move into the top tier next season with the right moves/additions. Maybe AInge is seeing a longer time frame before we can compete (he would know better than me, for sure).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:17 am

I am sure that Ainge will either trade some of this year's draft picks, or he will have to dump out some of last year's rookies from the team.

Of course, a combination of the two options is very likely as there is just no way that this team can get "younger" at this time.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:27 am

Hi,
I selected "Trade all 3" as if I was flipping a coin. At this point we have no clue what Danny will do.
I'd say that there's much higher probability that he won't keep all 3 picks.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:11 pm

I voted 'Other'.

We need, in my opinion and in this order:

1.  Scoring off the bench
2.  A big to replace Kanter, assuming he's gone.
3.  A back up point guard, assuming Wanny's gone.

So, what are the options?

1.  Draft a shooter like Nesmith.  Would that require us to move up?  Probably, but Danny has 3 first rounders.  The #14 plus, say, the #26 and we should be able to move up to the 10-13 range where Nesmith is projected to go.  Another possibility is trading the #14, plus a player(s) for a veteran shooter from another team.  Off the top of my head I cannot think of any quality bench scorers that are UFAs that can just be signed but maybe you guys can come up with one.  

2.  He could sign a veteran big, like Baynes, and fix the big problem like that.  I consider Baynes to be an upgrade from Kanter.  Is Kanter the better offensive rebounder?  Probably, but Baynes' defense and improved 3pt shooting puts him ahead of Kanter.  Danny could also use the #26 pick to take Stewart.  

3.  Wanny is a very strong, very rugged 6'3-6'4" guard.  Replacing him with a midget, like Waters, isn't a straight up replacement.  There will be a reduced salary cap there may be teams that are willing to jettison a veteran's salary and add a rookie's (or two).  Trading for a veteran point guard will be cheaper than trading for a big.  Also, the learning curve for an NBA point guard is pretty steep.  Developing one is both problematic and time-consuming.  We're close to competing for a Championship, maybe could have this year if Gordon had been healthier, we don't need to take "the long view".  A "win now" veteran back up point guard would fit right in to our needs and timeline.

I don't know much about these college players, but I know that shooting is a learned thing and if you already know how to do it and have NBA size like Nesmith (but not Edwards), the curve should flatten sooner rather than later.  Bigs also need a learning curve, but bigs today aren't like the bigs of yesteryear.  They're not leviathons of the deep that need years of agility training and coordination exercises to grow into their young, oversized bodies.  They are more like Montrezl Harrell and, quite frankly, like The Time Lord and Capela.  Either lively widebodies, or long and athletic leapers, but not so much behemoths like Nurkic (or Tacko).

So it boils down to Baynes, I guess.  If he's open to come back then draft a shooter.  If he's not willing to come back then draft a big, like Stewart, and trade for one of the other 2 less-expensive needs.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:24 pm

bobheckler wrote:I voted 'Other'.

We need, in my opinion and in this order:

1.  Scoring off the bench
2.  A big to replace Kanter, assuming he's gone.
3.  A back up point guard, assuming Wanny's gone.

So, what are the options?

1.  Draft a shooter like Nesmith.  Would that require us to move up?  Probably, but Danny has 3 first rounders.  The #14 plus, say, the #26 and we should be able to move up to the 10-13 range where Nesmith is projected to go.  Another possibility is trading the #14, plus a player(s) for a veteran shooter from another team.  Off the top of my head I cannot think of any quality bench scorers that are UFAs that can just be signed but maybe you guys can come up with one.  

L. Galloway and Justin Holiday are UFA'a and may be availble at the MLE

2.  He could sign a veteran big, like Baynes, and fix the big problem like that.  I consider Baynes to be an upgrade from Kanter.  Is Kanter the better offensive rebounder?  Probably, but Baynes' defense and improved 3pt shooting puts him ahead of Kanter.  Danny could also use the #26 pick to take Stewart.  

or trade up for my favorite Okongwu

3.  Wanny is a very strong, very rugged 6'3-6'4" guard.  Replacing him with a midget, like Waters, isn't a straight up replacement.  There will be a reduced salary cap there may be teams that are willing to jettison a veteran's salary and add a rookie's (or two).  Trading for a veteran point guard will be cheaper than trading for a big.  Also, the learning curve for an NBA point guard is pretty steep.  Developing one is both problematic and time-consuming.  We're close to competing for a Championship, maybe could have this year if Gordon had been healthier, we don't need to take "the long view".  A "win now" veteran back up point guard would fit right in to our needs and timeline.

I see Waters as a deep bench guy, not the BU point, thats Smart anyway

I don't know much about these college players, but I know that shooting is a learned thing and if you already know how to do it and have NBA size like Nesmith (but not Edwards), the curve should flatten sooner rather than later.  Bigs also need a learning curve, but bigs today aren't like the bigs of yesteryear.  They're not leviathons of the deep that need years of agility training and coordination exercises to grow into their young, oversized bodies.  They are more like Montrezl Harrell and, quite frankly, like The Time Lord and Capela.  Either lively widebodies, or long and athletic leapers, but not so much behemoths like Nurkic (or Tacko).

So it boils down to Baynes, I guess.  If he's open to come back then draft a shooter.  If he's not willing to come back then draft a big, like Stewart, and trade for one of the other 2 less-expensive needs.

it should be interesting , either way

Bob

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down