as the new season starts.

4 posters

Go down

as the new season starts. Empty as the new season starts.

Post by kdp59 Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:27 am

a good read over all, but I posted the Boston part. Nothing new, except for the Turner and McDermott to Boston for Hayward (and Pieces I assume).

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2020-nba-free-agency-trades-predictions-for-all-30-teams-rumors/

Boston Celtics

POTENTIAL CAP SPACE: -$36.0 million

AGGRESSIVE APPROACH: Trade Gordon Hayward to the Indiana Pacers for Myles Turner and Doug McDermott, use mid-level exception on Derrick Favors.

CONSERVATIVE APPROACH: Offer mid-level exception to Aron Baynes, trade three first-round picks (No. 14, 26 and 30) to move up for Onyeka Okongwu.

ANALYSIS

The Boston Celtics project to be a tax-paying team this year, which isn’t all that surprising when you look at their payrolls and see they’re paying Kemba Walker north of $34 million next year while owing Jaylen Brown $23.9 million, Marcus Smart $13.5 million and Jayson Tatum $9.9 million.

As such, Boston doesn’t have much maneuverability as far free agency goes, so their aggressive projection for this offseason includes trading Hayward and the $34.2 million he’s owed to the Indiana Pacers, who reportedly have interested in bringing him home, in exchange for Turner and McDermott, two solid-to-good players who would mesh well with the Celtics. Turner, in particular, would fill a huge hole Boston has in the frontcourt, one that really hurt them in their latest playoff run.

For good measure, in the aggressive prediction, we also have the Celtics offering their mid-level exception ($5.7 million since they’re projected to be a tax team) to Favors, a sturdy backup big man with playoff experience.

Our conservative approach to Boston’s offseason has them using their three first-round picks to try and move into the Top 5 for Okongwu out of USC, who the Celtics reportedly like a lot, and using their mid-level exception to bring back Baynes, a solid starting or reserve option who did well during his previous stint with the team.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

as the new season starts. Empty Re: as the new season starts.

Post by kdp59 Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:46 am

after looking at the Salary for both teams, it would be hard to make a deal work with Just Hayward ($34M) and Turner ($18M)/McDermott ($7.3M).
would need more salary coming back as Indiana is well over the cap aslo.

they also don't have a first round pick this year.

a quick look and I can come up with this deal that would work salary wise

Boston sends
Hayward- $34M
R. Williams- $2M
#14 pick in the draft- $3.6M value after being picked

Total salary outgoing- $39.5 or so

Indiana sends
Turner- $18M
McDermott- $7.3M
Justin Holiday- $8M- Resigned by Indiana then traded

total salary outgoing- $33-34M

Pacers are abut $5.5M UNDER the tax line now and they will want to stay under I assume after the trade, so its close.

Boston is currently almost $10M OVER the tax line so they would get closer to is by this trade and get near it Kanter leaves.

I know most fans don't care about the finances of it, but I am pretty sure the owners do, especially right now.

Those moves alone would pretty much fill our needs for everything but a young PG to groom behind Kemba, but that may have to wait for another year.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:55 am

kdp59 wrote:after looking at the Salary for both teams, it would be hard to make a deal work with Just Hayward ($34M) and Turner ($18M)/McDermott ($7.3M).
would need more salary coming back as Indiana is well over the cap aslo.

they also don't have a first round pick this year.

a quick look and I can come up with this deal that would work salary wise

Boston sends
Hayward- $34M
R. Williams- $2M
#14 pick in the draft- $3.6M value after being picked

Total salary outgoing- $39.5 or so

Indiana sends
Turner- $18M
McDermott- $7.3M
Justin Holiday- $8M- Resigned by Indiana then traded

total salary outgoing- $33-34M

Pacers are abut $5.5M UNDER the tax line now and they will want to stay under I assume after the trade, so its close.

Boston is currently almost $10M OVER the tax line so they would get closer to is by this trade and get near it Kanter leaves.

I know most fans don't care about the finances of it, but I am pretty sure the owners do, especially right now.

Those moves alone would pretty much fill our needs for everything but a young PG to groom behind Kemba, but that may have to wait for another year.

kdp,

A trade like this won't happen this year.
In order for a draft picks salary to be included in a trade, he has to be signed to that rookie contract.
A rookie can't be traded for 30 days after he signs his contract.
That would put us into January when this trade could be completed.
Training camp starts 12/1 and the regular season starts on 12/22.
No draft picks will be traded this year if their contract is expected to help match salaries.

Last edited by tjmakz on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 am

To expand on what TJ said, the team that receives a player on a sign-and-trade deal is capped at the apron. I don't believe the Celtics want (or can) do that.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:32 am

gyso wrote:To expand on what TJ said, the team that receives a player on a sign-and-trade deal is capped at the apron.  I don't believe the Celtics want (or can) do that.

gyso

The Celtics did a sign and trade last year so were they already capped
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:36 am

dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:To expand on what TJ said, the team that receives a player on a sign-and-trade deal is capped at the apron.  I don't believe the Celtics want (or can) do that.

gyso

The Celtics did a sign and trade last year so were they already capped

Last season don't count, it's over. My comment was about this NEXT season and based on what kdp wrote:

"Justin Holiday- $8M- Resigned by Indiana then traded"

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:46 am

then you just trade the pick, like the Laker just did.

salary number still work.

the Celtics will not be near the apron, in fact I think the Owners will do everything they can to get UNDER the tax line this year.

which is possible to do this year.

but either way Hayward for Turner and McDermott will NOT work.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down