Celtics offense explodes with Ojeleye at the 4

5 posters

Go down

Celtics offense explodes with Ojeleye at the 4 Empty Celtics offense explodes with Ojeleye at the 4

Post by dboss Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:15 pm

From celtics blog https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/1/5/22214499/celtics-offense-explodes-with-ojeleye-at-the-4

Something clicked once the second quarter began Monday night against the Tampa Raptors. While Jayson Tatum exploded for 26 first-half points to dig Boston out of an early hole, the rest of the group started hitting shots and playing impassioned defense next to him.

Coming out of halftime, Brad Stevens knew what he had to do to sustain the run and enable Tatum and Jayson Brown to thrive in space as much as possible: change the lineups around them. To start the second half, Stevens benched Daniel Theis and brought Semi Ojeleye into the lineup.

By the time Theis came in to relieve center Tristan Thompson seven minutes later, the lead had ballooned to 20. Tatum tacked 12 more points on in that span, and the Celtics offense spouted off 52 points in the 19 minutes since the end of the first quarter.

The three-man rotation of Theis, Tristan Thompson, and Robert Williams played only 54 minutes. The only times there were two of them on the floor together: the first six of the game, when Boston was down in a 23-10 hole. The difference in their starts to both halves was night and day.

Sure, a supernova effort from Boston behind the 3-point line was the catalyst to this win. But the change by Stevens to fully abandon the twin towers lineup is the most important takeaway from this game moving forward. On a night when three of Boston’s best point guards were out of the lineup, they found out the answer was not to go big in their stead but to go “Semi” small.

The hot shooting of Semi Ojeleye carried over from the two-game stand in Detroit. On Sunday, Semi drilled three treys in timely fourth-quarter fashion to help propel the Celtics to victory. His presence in Boston’s closing lineup of a close game came as a surprise to many. He turned around a night later and drilled three more, going 3-for-5 from deep and finishing with 12 points and 8 rebounds. His 30 minutes were by far a season-high.

Ojeleye’s dependable shooting has opened the door for this ascent, and for Stevens to finally trust that Semi is the solid fifth cog in the wheel of their starting group. Defense has rarely been the issue for the SMU product. He’s strong-bodied and locks up bigger wings one-on-one. The lack of dependability came around his jump shot and whether it could be trusted.

The Raptors got punished for leaving him alone in the corners and over-helping on Tatum or Brown drives. There was so much more space to operate in the room when compared to the Thompson-Theis frontcourt lineups to open the season.

Toronto got caught in a miscue on what looked like confusion as to whether they were in man or zone. Alex Len and Pascal Siakam got their wires crossed, middle penetration occurred and Ojeleye got a look in rhythm, which was enough to build his confidence for the rest of the evening:

When standing in the corners, you don’t have to be Ray Allen to command attention. As the game has progressed over the last fifteen years, the corner three has become one of the most important shots. It’s a convenient floor-spacing trick that puts baseline help defenders in a lose-lose situation. Good shooters stationed in the corners not only provides value by being the closest spot on the 3-point arc for a quality attempt, but increases the field goal percentage of drivers at the rim. There’s too much ground to cover for them to both uphold their responsibility on drives and cover the corner shooter.

So when Ojeleye, who shot 46.2% on corner threes a year ago, is standing there instead of Theis (who was 38.5%), the defense is put in a little more of a bind. Ojeleye is getting a lot of shots in this location this year because, more times than not, defenses sell out to help at the rim and prevent Tatum and Brown from getting going.

The Raptors looked sluggish in the third quarter and didn’t take that conventional route. On three consecutive possessions, one of Brown or Tatum barreled their way to the rim for clean layups (or foul-drawing opportunities) without interference from corner defenders:

Ask yourself this question: would that be the case if Theis were standing in Semi’s spot?

It’s not that Theis can’t shoot; he’s absolutely an adequate shooter for a big man. But we saw in the postseason how hesitant he can be to pull the trigger on some open looks, and how that stagnates the Celtics offense. They don’t have enough firepower to turn down good looks this year. They’re better off putting someone in the corner who has the confidence to take the shot and the consistency to bury it.

Most importantly from Monday, Tatum drew a season-high thirteen free throw attempts, a part of his game missing for the C’s. As a collective unit, Boston entered Monday night at the very bottom in charity stripe opportunities. To me, the explosion in contact-drawing is heavily influenced by the removal of two centers from the lineup.

When Tatum drives from his isolations and quick attacks, defenses naturally gravitate towards him as the primary threat. If Tatum’s teammates are on the 3-point line and spaced well around him, the help defenders that come flying in are bound to be a half-second late. Any contact that occurs as they meet Tatum at the spot is an automatic defensive foul. But if the spacing isn’t around the 3-point line and those helpers are one step closer, they can beat Tatum to the spot and wall up, leading to a no-call from the officials.

Early in the year, those possessions have looked like this:

Tatum has started the year 15-35 (42.9%) at the rim, according to Synergy Sports Tech. That’s a really, really bad number, especially for a 6’9” scorer. Again, it’s hard to call that a coincidence when 3-point shooting isn’t next to him.

Semi isn’t the reason Boston won this game. Everyone was fantastic in their role. Tatum went off. Payton Pritchard had a career night. Timelord looked fantastically active, and even Grant Williams came off the bench to nail some shots. The defense looked stout and the Raptors didn’t play like they’re capable. It was the perfect storm.

But the presence of Ojeleye and a more space-oriented lineup clearly brings out the best in everybody. Monday felt like an identity-finding evening down in Tampa. Let’s hope the Celtics move forward with this version of themselves.

My Notes:

I think that all of us anticipated some early ups and downs for this team.  The Celtics have climbed into 4th place at 5-3, a mere 1.5 games back of the Sixers and just 1/2 game behind the Magic and the Pacers.  The big and most important thing for our team will be how well they play defense.  It seems every team in the league can score.  Everybody shoots the 3.  Everyone can put multiple scoring threats on the floor.  We need to be the team that gets stops!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics offense explodes with Ojeleye at the 4 Empty Re: Celtics offense explodes with Ojeleye at the 4

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 am

The proof that Brad is on board will be in the pudding tonight.  For me it will be who starts at big(s).

Great analysis, dboss!  Spot on. So you wouldn't be surprised if SO starts tonight in place of either Theis or TT?  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Celtics offense explodes with Ojeleye at the 4 Empty Re: Celtics offense explodes with Ojeleye at the 4

Post by worcester Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 am

I've been saying the above for a week now. TT and DT on the floor together is preventing Jaylen and Jayson from getting to the rim. Semi at the 4 makes sense. Period.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:09 am

OK, worcester, I've got your bet down as well.  SO to start.  I like your and dboss's assessment.  It causes the least disruption on our side but it really effs up the other side!

If Brad does nothing at the start, you both will be able to hear me!!

I'd keep TT out there to start just because of experience, bully/intimidating presence and the reliable 10/10 he delivers. Theis to the bench. I still like Theis. He's just going to have to pay off the refs to quit tagging him with fouls all the time. They kid can't be that bad or clumsy.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 am

db, 100% agree. TT to start along with PP, SO, JT and JB.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:53 pm

It will be interesting to see if they go back to the two bigs in the frontcourt or go with Semi to start the game. I don't think Stevens is beyond trying that one and the team appears to be set up to experiment with different lineups well into the season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:01 pm

It is certainly nice to see Olejeye becoming a contributor at the NBA level. It has taken a while, but that may be what it takes for many NBA draft picks to find their way. It is a man's league and young guys will often take a few years of time to become men.

So, good for Semi and the Cs, and I hope that he continues to improve.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:10 pm

worcester,

I like that. JeT has been a little all over the map but has a base line of all around consistency. For that, he will still need to come in 2nd tier until further notice. I def would not start him, though.

MS and JeT are questionable tonight per injury report.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down