Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them

3 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them Empty Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:15 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/02/jayson-tatum-boston-celtics-arent-getting-to-the-free-throw-line-and-its-costing-them.html

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them

Updated 6:30 AM; Today 6:30 AM

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them 2KW5DKSI2JFZDPQJPJJ5LYW4EE
Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum (0) reacts after being called for a foul during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Phoenix Suns, Sunday, Feb. 7, 2021, in Phoenix. (AP Photo/Ralph Freso)AP

By Matt Vautour | mvautour@masslive.com

With 7:21 left in the third quarter, Jayson Tatum’s frustration bubbled over. The Celtics forward thought Frank Kaminsky had fouled him moments before on his 3-pointer attempt on the right wing.

Tatum fell to the floor after that collision and got up, ran down the court shouting toward the officials and was quickly slapped with a technical.

Tatum’s shouting wasn’t just about that perceived missed call, but a game and perhaps a season’s worth of perceived missed calls.

Tatum is playing like a budding superstar, he’s not getting the benefit-of-doubt calls that many in that echelon of players are used to getting. He’s averaging 27.3 points per game which is seventh in the NBA.

He’s averaging 3.9 free throw attempts per game (3.3 free throws made). No other player in the top 10 goes to the line less than an average of 5.0 times per game and most are over 7.0 per game. Take out his 13-for-13 free throw shooting against Toronto in January and those averages drop further.

It’s not like Tatum’s offense comes from camping on on the perimeter and launching 3-pointers. So he’s either not getting fouled or not getting the calls. Not surprisingly he thinks it’s the latter.

“I’ve got to find another way. Me and the ref disagreed on something,” Tatum said. “Ultimately they’re not going to change the calls. I’ve just got figure out more ways to show that I’m getting fouled. It’s a learning process for sure.”

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them YG6NPTMGUZC2XDES7HSBOD7PKM
The chart of Jayson Tatum's makes and misses Sunday from NBA.com

He’s not alone. After Tatum, the next highest scoring player who attempts fewer than 5.0 free throws per game is Jaylen Brown (4.7).

Kemba Walker’s minutes are limited (he did play 33 Sunday), but he’s only going to the line just 2.8 times per game, the lowest average of his career. The normally smiley guard picked up his own technical after one of the non-calls he disagreed with.

He was harder on himself postgame than he was on the officials.

“I let myself get a little bit too frustrated. I just can’t have that. These guys look to me to be that positive energy,” he said. “I wasn’t that today. It was pretty frustrating, but at the end of the day, if it’s not a call, it’s not a foul. I have to realize that. I’ve got to be better. I’ve to to make a play at the rim or make a play for my teammates.”

Tatum, Brown and Walker together (11.4) barely go to the line more than Sixers big man Joel Embiid (11.1) does by himself.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I hate to say it, but Tatum should watch some film of James Harden.  NOBODY sells fouls better than him (Smart's pretty good too on the defensive side).  Throwing up your arms like that doesn't do anything.  If anything it pisses the refs off because they think you're showing them up.  We, as a team, need to pick up more fritos.  That's hard to do without a dominant inside player.  You don't get awarded fritos for open jump shots.  Open jump shots might be what you want, that's why you move the ball around, but it doesn't get you to the line.  Inside play is like running plays in football.  They might not get you as many yards as a pass but you still have to run them to keep the defense honest.  Over the course of the game they pay dividends.

I don't understand why nobody, including Danny, hasn't hired Hakeem Olajuwon as a big man coach.  I realize the old school big man is a bit of an anachronism in today's NBA but damn few players have post-up games anymore.  It would help The Time Lord immeasurably to be taught by The Timeless One.  Wouldn't hurt Theis either.  That would be the next step up for RWill.  He can dunk.  He showed in the Phoenix game he can hit mid-range jumpers.  What he needs to learn-and-show now is that he can get the ball down low, have a defender (or defenders) collapse on him and either make the right pass out or get them to join the paratrooper corp with an effective head and shoulder fake.  Also, Hakeem had a damn good turnaround fadeaway.  Imagine RWill, or Theis (probably too late for Thompson), down low and then spinning away from their defender for an 8' jump shot. Who's going to block those shots? Nobody, not man-to-man, not unless they overreact, and then you just let them fall onto you for the whistle.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them Empty Re: Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Agree I’ve been saying for awhile we need a big man coach, RWill with any semblance of a post up game would be huge for us. On JT and JB too for that matter, they are trying, the refs are just not giving them the calls even on a lot of contact. Once in awhile they will get it, for the most part never, very rarely, shame the league sucks in this department....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them Empty Re: Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics aren’t getting to the free throw line and it’s costing them

Post by Ktron Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:32 pm

The article talked about Tatum and his not getting to the free throw line. He does not go to the basket enough to go to the line. In the bubble he did and when he did he did. More drives to the bucket will get him more chances at the line. He may not get every call but I am sure we would see less of his poor imitation of a human football goal post than we are seeing now.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down